Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter Parking on Riverwood Road - crazy idea

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Lazy people who could walk to the station contribute to the problem.
    I was just reading the transcript for a meeting of the Joint Committee on Transport from 30 January.

Mr David O'Connor, Fingal County Manager, said of the train station car park in Malahide:
    It might be worthwhile to reflect for a minute on our experience with Malahide when we introduced parking immediately beside the station there. Our experience was that almost immediately the park and ride filled up very early in the mornings. On analysis, we found that most of the people parking there lived within five minutes walking distance from the station. For example, people who lived in the marina were actually driving their cars to Malahide train station. Unfortunately, we then had to restrict the opening hours back to 10 o'clock in the morning. We had no other measure to restrict the use of the place except to charge high prices and that would not have been acceptable at that time.
    At a meeting with the community Gardai in Blanchardstown, they mentioned the same thing for Coolmine. I saw a BMW in Annfield with an Irish Rail "Don't park here sticker" which seems to say that this person drives to Coolmine and the parks in the disabled space. It's a 12 minute walk from Annfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Just a few quick notes.
    Ive seen people driving from aldermere and windemere to park at clonsilla station. Lazy or what? Also, gangs were coming into portersgate to nick bikes and drink in the woods. Thats why access is closed off. Yellow lines painted outside my house have cracked and dissapeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Pffft Riverwood resident here , although it is hazardous with all the cars around, you cant blame the commuters. They shouldnt have to cycle ! Why dont you cycle all the way to work then ? Money should be spent on bigger carparks and more carriages, coolmine has been the busiest station since connolly/tara/pearse for over 3-4 years now. Yet money goes to building a shiny new station in phenoix park which ive yet to see people get off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Placebo wrote: »
    Pffft Riverwood resident here , although it is hazardous with all the cars around, you cant blame the commuters.

Except the ones who live within 5 minutes walk of course.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

They exist? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pffft Riverwood resident here , although it is hazardous with all the cars around, you cant blame the commuters. They shouldnt have to cycle ! Why dont you cycle all the way to work then ? Money should be spent on bigger carparks and more carriages, coolmine has been the busiest station since connolly/tara/pearse for over 3-4 years now. Yet money goes to building a shiny new station in phenoix park which ive yet to see people get off on.

More like 15yrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

. Yet money goes to building a shiny new station in phenoix park which ive yet to see people get off on.

As far as I know the Pheonix Park train station was paid for and built by the property developer of the nearby apartments. Building the station was one of the conditions necessary to obtain planning permission. The developer has also retained ownership of the car park there as well. I don't know if he is charging for it yet, but if he's not, you can be sure that he will.

My gripe is the new Docklands Station. It's much too far away from the City Centre to be useful, and doesn't continue on to the Southside. It was originally only to remain open for 10 years but the Minister responsible has now ordered CIE to keep it open indefinitely

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What annoys me about the Docklands station is its location. The original plans had it on the river side of Upper Sheriff Street, in the middle of where the current Spencer Dock building works are going on, and closer to the IFSC. OK, it's not that much further away, but if you're going to build a new station why not make it as convenient as possible for the passengers it's meant to serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Murt10 wrote: »

My gripe is the new Docklands Station. It's much too far away from the City Centre to be useful, and doesn't continue on to the Southside. It was originally only to remain open for 10 years but the Minister responsible has now ordered CIE to keep it open indefinitely

I agree. Though I go there sometimes so that I can avoid the crush on the other train. Takes about 30mins to walk to work instead of 10 mins. But its a nicer journey tbh.

Advertisement