Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything good to be got in Aldi, Lidl?

Options
  • 01-12-2007 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Two of these have been set up in my area, so I was wondering is there anything of any quality to be got in here, like in terms of good food, I know half the shop is basically chocolate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

They have a range of fresh meat, deli meat, poultry, eggs and vegetables. The bread range is not bad, and there's quite a lot of cheese and yoghurt...basically there is most of what you need for a healthy diet, if not particularly varied...and if you can get past the cakes and biscuits on your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I noticed they have frozen cod fillets (unbreaded) at €8 for a kilo bag in lidl. Donegal catch equivalent is usually ~€12-13 per kilo.

Not sure what the experts think of them, I like the idea of fish frozen straight after a catch, and no batter has to be a +

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Lidl do a really nice cottage cheese for 69c. They also have a very good tin of expresso coffee for 1.59

Aldi has the best cocoa powder (some still in stock) of all. And a very good cold beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I think Aldi is fantastic for fresh fruit and veg and great value for money.

Their low fat probiotic yoghurt is delicious and they also do a fantastic orange jelly with mandarin segments in it and grapefruit juice. Delicious. I like these things as a snack, instead of reaching for a biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Might have a little expedition in there this week sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Lidl do brilliant frozen salmon fillets. 2 in a box. Great flavour IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

If you're one of those "dairy is evil" people, then Lidl's soya milk is tolerable and exceptionally cheap (think 69c a litre?)

Aldi do Omega 3 fish oil with a very high concentration of EPA and DHA, good as any health food store. €2.49 for 45 tablets. Best price around.

In lidl I also got 5 large chicken thighs for €2.50 I think. I skinned and marinated them in chili oil, then cooked them in the oven and refridgerated. Now whenever I want a salad I take one out and tear the meat off into my salad. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl do their own version of ryvitas. I checked the ingredients & nutritional info and they seem very close to ryvita's figures. They are about half the price of ryvita, I think 69 or 79cent for 250g. I meant to pick them up but forgot to go back for them, arseholes for not giving people baskets, probably lose lots of business like that.

I got the cod fillets and they are fine. Protein content is lower than donegal catch, think it was 16 or 17%, BUT I think donegal catch might quote theres for cooked, i.e. it will lose water so will increase form the frozen value. Lidl cod has 5% added water. They had lots of types of frozen fish, weird types I never heard of. Did have pollock & plaice & I think hake- unbreaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

Both are great for fruit and veg, cheese, bread, wine and beer. Also, not that I'd usually ever eat them, but Aldi's ready meals are more palatable than most, handy to have in the freezer in cases of extreme starvation! Same goes for their frozen pizza

Advertisement