Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flight sim x

Options
  • 26-11-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

i recently bought flight sim x and no matter what computer i tried it on it was jumpy even on low settings.i have now bought a dell xps with a quad core processor, 4 gig of ram and dual nvidia 8800gtx 768mb and 1tb of memory,so does anyone know if this is enough spec to run it on high settings before the cheque clears on it

any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, that certainly sounds impressive, from someone who knows little about computers.

I do know this, FSX is a motorious memory hog, as indeed every new Flight Sim was, compared to the last.

I guess, if it doesn't run on that, it won't run on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ambasite

it's a dog alright. i tried to run it on laptop with Pentium 1.5GHz, 1gb ram - no chance, even on low settings it was too sluggish. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Give fs2004 a go, way easier on the computer! I use fsx, and my computer specs are way lower than yours, so should be grand.

Hope this helps,

Darragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

moby10 wrote: »
    i recently bought flight sim x and no matter what computer i tried it on it was jumpy even on low settings.i have now bought a dell xps with a quad core processor, 4 gig of ram and dual nvidia 8800gtx 768mb and 1tb of memory,so does anyone know if this is enough spec to run it on high settings before the cheque clears on it

thats a monster, how much did it cost you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

1 terrabyte of memory!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 benbulbin

If it won't run on that it won't run on anything!

Have you ever tried X-plane, it has a very accurate flight model and includes tools to develop and test your own aircraft and scenery. It doesn't have all the graphic add-ons of FS but the freeware community are always adding aircraft and scenery, and the Global Scenery graphics (70GB) run fast on decent hardware. V9 should be out in a couple of months but you can try a free beta now, comes with demo scenery for KSBD & LOWI to give you an idea of the gaphics:

x-plane.com/beta
    x-plane.org (for aircraft and airport scenery)
    http://www.global-scenery.org/
    http://homepage.mac.com/cormacshaw/xpih/ (Dublin scenery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

testicle wrote: »
    1 terrabyte of memory!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!

terrabyte harddrive I'd assume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

moby10 wrote: »

Did you do any checking on the web to see if runs faster on a quad or on a dual with a faster clock speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

that x plane sounds good and the scenery is fantastic-i dont want to sound like an idiot coz i dont really understand computer terminology but is x-plane a flight sim of its own or can you run it with flight sim x.-in relation to the processor all info on the net was mixed but people generalyl said it had to run at about 3.2-3.5 ghz. the one in that machine runs at 3.46 but dell say you can over clock it to 4.0 coz its watercooled.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Have you received the XPS yet?

AFAIC it shoud run perfectly, though I do stand to be corrected as FSX caused many headaches when it came out. The software is fantastic but the high-spec hardware just wasn't as popular at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think theres been a patch too hasn't there.

2 patches and an addon methinks. Not entirely sure what they do - haven't been simming in ages. Current computer isn't exactly a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

The patch helps framerates a lot and sorts out a few bugs. Also improves loading times.

I sold my gaming PC last year with the idea of getting away from sitting at home every night playing games especially FS. I just found my copy of FSX and put it on my laptop and it actually runs grand, allbeit with most of the scenery settings at low and the laptops only got a crappy 128Mb Geforce Go! Its really a case of trail and error to see can you tailor the graphics settings to get the best performace vs quality but with some tinkering it can work well.

X plane is a seperate product nothing to do with MS flightsim. Wouldnt have half the number of free and commercial addons available but is still a very good sim.

hopefully i will get the computer by the end of the week, but what is a ''patch' where do i get one and what does it do?:confused:

A patch is just an improvement of a piece of software - you should be able to find the files and instructions on the Microsoft website.

A patch is generally a bit of software released by the software maker after the CDs hit the shelves to fix problems with the game or to add functionality etc. Its a file you download from Microsoft then you run it and it will update the game itself, its very simple.

Once you get the PC and the game, install the game from the 2 DVDs and then play it a bit. Download the patch from here and just double click on it. That will install the patch. Your PC sounds very high spec so id imagine it will run very well.

Dont forget to get a joystick too, FS is crap without it! :D

pclancy wrote: »
    Dont forget to get a joystick too, FS is crap without it! :D

*mashing arrow key*

Go up damn you! :D

:d

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

moby you should be getting great performance from that setup ..

I have an AMD 3700 (running at 2,8Ghz) with a 6800XT gfx card , to add insult I'm even running vista (recent trail thing) and its no problem. I have 1.5GB ram.

Anyway, you definatley need to download Service Pack 1 patch from microsoft, this improves the sim's performance dramatically.

Also, pay attention to the sliders in the display setting of the sim. Having vehicle. boat traffic on 100% and scenery to 'extremely dense' will make it run like a dog.. you need a bit of ying and yang when it comes to those damn sliders.

I don't remember all the slider setting I have but will post them later if I have the time. For sure 'Bloom effects' kills the sim at the moment - some the the eye candy stuff really hurts so try bringing them down a notch or 2 and see how you go.

thanks for all the info guys-i got the machine a few days ago(bloody big rig) and loaded flight sim deluxe immediately. all the settings at the moment are at ultra high and all the sliders are set to full and i am managing 35+ fps so i am very happy with it. i havent got the patches yet but will do it over the next few days, but for now i am just trying to figure out this f*****g garmin gps.if anyone has any more tips for me it is much appreciated.

p.s. what is the best airport for scenery?

• Advertisement

savage sounds cool!

Theres some nice scenery in all the aiports in the missions, cant think of any others off hand...too drunk :)

Add-ons much better for scenery. Try Cloud 9 for Amsterdam (payware, but damn good and can give your machine a run for its money, see if it's really up to it :))

Irish scenery available from these guys for free too :)

www.ifsd.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Same Spec Pc, runs fine just dont have everything maxed out better fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

pclancy wrote: »
    Irish scenery available from these guys for free too :)

www.ifsd.ie

does that work on fsx?? I have it on fs2004 and it wont work on my fsx:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Don't have FSX, no real desire to either, too much for my current computer.

I don't think the Irish scenery works on FSX, no doubt an update will be released whenever. The Irish scenery has flaws but it would be remiss to complain about something you get for nothing, particularly as a lot of work was put into it. There was a big problem with the Dublin scenery in that it locked the computer completely if you tried to fly over the city. That has been corrected I believe with a new update. There was also a problem with Galway in that you would hit an invisible obstacle somewhere on the runway. The only way to prevent it is to turn off collisions and crashes.

I'll test it later on again but as far as I can remember it did work fine for me on FSX.

MS have just released another update for FSX, SP2, prob well worth installing for anyone that's using FSX.

The issues they had with lockups over Dublin and the Galway obstacle were all sorted, have a read through their forum for help.

SP2 Download Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

I would love to see some pics of it running on your XPS :D
    Put some up for us.

Anyone try SP2 yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Yeah i downloaded sp2 the other day. it seemed to make quite a difference on fps. seems to allow things to run smoother. i am gettin about 30+fps. My laptop is a Dell inspiron 9400, Pentium core 2 T7200 2ghz, 2gb ram, Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS

Advertisement