Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africans get my goat

Options
  • 20-11-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

- Those gifts where you give someone a card saying a goat/chicken/fishing rod/well/helper robot/ronan keating has been sent to people in need in Africa or elsewhere in the third world

- Good idea? would you like to receive that gift for christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Karl Pilkington would have a lot to say about that I'm sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I prefer the TD type of present, a nice big brown envelope
    with a wad of cash inside. I'm also open to a 'Bertie-loan'
    where I receive a loan of several thousand eurons with no
    interest rate or date set for repayment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was going to do this before- but it was ridiculously expensive. What the hell sort of goats are they that cost €300? Even the rabbits are prohibitively expensive- €60 for a trio of rabbits.....

The idea is you get the pressie of the animal and you have to gift the first born from the animal to another family- and so the cycle continues.

If I was an African I'd be thrilled to get a pressie of an animal- it makes a lot more sense to give someone the means to feed themselves than to give them food, and a reliance on future hand-outs. As the saying goes- give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, but give him a fishing rod and he will feed himself for life.......

S/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nah, I'd rather spend money on cows for myself

also how come they can get cataracts fixed for a fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I know it's for charity, but it's only a good idea if it's not you getting it as a 'present'.

I'll probably do it myself, but just make a donation and not put some poor mate as the 'recipient' of the 'warm fuzzy feeling', because I doubt they'll get it. They'll be more p*ssed off that you gave them nothing, but gave someone thousands of miles away a goat. Not even a pair of socks!! Scabby feck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

A goat would be feckin useless to me I live in an apartment I cant keep a goat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fúck that shít! I already give money to charity. If my friends start giving me presents like that then I can no longer feel smug and superior in their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

smccarrick wrote: »
    I was going to do this before- but it was ridiculously expensive. What the hell sort of goats are they that cost €300? Even the rabbits are prohibitively expensive- €60 for a trio of rabbits.....

The idea is you get the pressie of the animal and you have to gift the first born from the animal to another family- and so the cycle continues.

If I was an African I'd be thrilled to get a pressie of an animal- it makes a lot more sense to give someone the means to feed themselves than to give them food, and a reliance on future hand-outs. As the saying goes- give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, but give him a fishing rod and he will feed himself for life.......

S/

true, but it should go- give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he sits around in a boat with his mates drinking beer and talkin sh!t all day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

The other animals are grand, but goats are a terrible idea. When I was in Kenya, the goats were all stray and eating every thing in site, clothes, cans, families' food, rubbish and they eat through fencing etc. They kept coming into the yard in the school I was teaching in and the kids were shooing them out! They devour everything and move on, just wreaking havoc. You can't tie them down because they chew through ropes. And seeing them wandering around headbutting each other is really scary too, they could easily attack little kids. No to goats!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

George Costanza had the right idea. Donate money to the Human Fund, money for people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I believe goats piss on their beards to attract females, don't want one in my gaff thank you very much!

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    The other animals are grand, but goats are a terrible idea. When I was in Kenya, the goats were all stray and eating every thing in site, clothes, cans, families' food, rubbish and they eat through fencing etc. They kept coming into the yard in the school I was teaching in and the kids were shooing them out! They devour everything and move on, just wreaking havoc. You can't tie them down because they chew through ropes. And seeing them wandering around headbutting each other is really scary too, they could easily attack little kids. No to goats!
    Why did you want to tie a goat down? what had you in mind?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Yeah nice thought and everything but if someone gave me that as a Christmas present I'd kick them in the goolies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Lil Kitten wrote: »

If the goats were such hassle why didn't they just turn them into chops??? :D

Or, they could lay a big trail of rubbish ready for the goats who eat everything in sight. Garbage disposal would be quite useful if only the goats could be kept on the job, with no wandering off to eat children. That could be messy......chops idea wins!

The meat would probably have lots of flavour given their varied diet and all.

That "charity" must have big "admin" costs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it a cute goat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Have you ever seen a cute goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

juuge wrote: »
    Why did you want to tie a goat down? what had you in mind?:)
    biko wrote: »
    Is it a cute goat?
    I dislike the way this thread is progressing...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ask and ye shall receive

goatkid.jpg

hmm - you can't embed images on this forum then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

they'll get my can of sweet corn and be damn grateful for it!

have you ever seen a goat up close? they have fúcked up pupils, they're rectangular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gordon wrote: »
    Karl Pilkington would have a lot to say about that I'm sure..

Exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H42W6bt_i6g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

dame wrote: »
    If the goats were such hassle why didn't they just turn them into chops??? :D

I take it you've never eaten goat.

The meat tends to be tough and stringy, like old mutton only mankier. Stinks the place out as you cook it as well. And not very tasty. Bacon, goat is not. Ye'd have to be fairly hard up for food before you'd turn to eating goat.

Goat cheese is nice though. But what I want to know is, who milks the goats?

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    I take it you've never eaten goat.

The meat tends to be tough and stringy, like old mutton only mankier. Stinks the place out as you cook it as well. And not very tasty. Bacon, goat is not. Ye'd have to be fairly hard up for food before you'd turn to eating goat.

Goat cheese is nice though. But what I want to know is, who milks the goats?

Hmm, would goat leather be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

If you want to make a donation gift for christmas, give something to the old folk in Ireland, they are a forgotten bunch of legends. PS: not the wealthy widowers and widows, but the old people living near you who don't know what the hell is going on and who are on their own, with no-one to talk to and probably need a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

longshanks wrote: »
    true, but it should go- give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he sits around in a boat with his mates drinking beer and talkin sh!t all day

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    But what I want to know is, who milks the goats?
    Heidi and Grandpapa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

longshanks wrote: »
    Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I'll get my coat.

Why not get a load of goats to eat the rubbish in ringsend then we wouldn't need an incinerator.

Terry wrote: »
    Heidi and Grandpapa.

Who discovered you could get milk from a goat - and what exactly were they doing before that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

it was ridiculously expensive. What the hell sort of goats are they that cost €300?
    You obviously have no idea how much it costs to post a goat to Africa.
    Even the rabbits are prohibitively expensive- €60 for a trio of rabbits.....
    Despite what people think it costs a fortune to train rabbits to take part in a threesome.
    dame wrote: »
    Hmm, would goat leather be any good?
    The primary use of goat leather is for holding goats together.
    brousuka wrote: »
    If you want to make a donation gift for christmas, give something to the old folk in Ireland
    Why not send them on a holiday to Africa? It's warmer there and they get free goats.

Advertisement