Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green bits on crisps

• 20-11-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

for the crisps/tayto eaters out there ...
    when you're eating a bag of crisps and one has a green bit on it, do you eat it or put it to one side?
    when I was a kid the consensus was that the green ones were 'unsafe' but I don't know of any bad side affects! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I eat them. I like to live dangerously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Green bits of potatoes are said to be toxic but I don't think eating one green crisp would make you sick.
    I eat around the green bit rather than waste the whole crisp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Toxic really?... I always thought it was just where the skin hadn't been removed properly.
    Though if it's rather green I won't eat that bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Green bits of potatoes are said to be toxic but I don't think eating one green crisp would make you sick.
    I eat around the green bit rather than waste the whole crisp!!
    LOL! Now that's getting the most out of your money :)

I chuck them away. Occassionally I give them to a homeless person. It's the least I could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Nope would throw that crisp away, same with a chip, if theres one of those black lumps on the chip it gets thrown away! Ugh makes me feel sick just thinking about eating one of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Hah I eat around the green bit too, dont like to waste crisps :D

Havent seen many recently though!! GM crisps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im fairly sure the green bits are toxic/poisonous......not bothered finding more info but i read something about it ages ago.

the thing is you need to eat stupid amounts(eg a couple of kgs) of the green stuff before it kills you so i wouldnt worry about one crisp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They can make you quite sick - the green colour is caused by exposure to light so potatoes need to be kept in a dark place.

http://www.foodscience.com.au/spuds.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

has anyone ever got sick from eating them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Not sure if it's an old wives tale but i heard that eating green potatoes when in the early stages of pregnancy was dangerous....i never asked why though. Anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

uglyjohn wrote: »
    im fairly sure the green bits are toxic/poisonous......not bothered finding more info but i read something about it ages ago.
    Ye shower of lillypants, wolf them into you, sure they'll do you no harm. You might even get a slight buzz of them. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Normally if I can be bothered I eat around 'em. If I can't be bothered then I usually just shovel them into me mouth without looking :/

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ye shower of lillypants, wolf them into you, sure they'll do you no harm. You might even get a slight buzz of them. :confused:

hey!!!! i eat them! why is my manhood being challenged? :confused:

here is the snopes page.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp

healthy adult needs to ingest about 4.5 pounds in one sitting. basically you cant poison yourself unless you are really trying to......and if scumlord invites anyone out for a night on the spuds i'd suggest giving it a miss, there are easier ways to get a slight buzz that dont involve vomiting, diarrhea, and paralysis of the central nervous system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Never knew they were toxic, I just ate around the green bits cause they look icky-lol. But a brown spot on a chip, sure it's just a bruise! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

eat them. you'd want to eat a million billion of them before they'd do you any harm.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

possibly because you appear to be scared of a crisp?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

holy sh*t, green bits on potatoes are toxic and have been known to cause death :eek:

thanks for that Dizzyblonde, never will i look at a spud the same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i eat them, never thought of them being dangerous before !! hahha made me laugh tho,, "hay how did you end up in hospital , i ate a green crisp!!

copacetic wrote: »
    possibly because you appear to be scared of a crisp?

as i said....i eat them, they are good. prefer the shriveled black ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rob_l wrote: »
    has anyone ever got sick from eating them?

i don't scrutinise my crisps very closely so i've never even noticed these green bits. i'd say its safe to assume i've eaten a great number of them and i'm still alive

The guy who first brought potatoes to Britain (it wasn't Raleigh) was almost lynched because people thought he was trying to poison them. The plant is a member of the nightshade family and the skin of very old potatoes can kill (in sufficient quantities).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

i don't scrutinise my crisps very closely so i've never even noticed these green bits. i'd say its safe to assume i've eaten a great number of them and i'm still alive

Me too, just wondering is anyone blaming crisps on some near death experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's just a bit of chlorophyll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Its potato blight, colorado beetles and some plague. Crisp eating is a perilous pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I was thinking about asking the same thing on here the other day!

I don't eat them...but then I'm a fussy git

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You would have to eat a lot of green potato to kill yourself or even to be very unwell. However I would like to ask the question, Do you eat green potato and suffer migrane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

Ah now I'm dying for a packet of salt & vinegar hunky doreys......funny cos your nearly always gauranteed to get a green crisp in a bag of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

cant believe i just seen this thread i was just talkin to one of the guys in here about that,Im on the nightshift in here and i got meself a nice packet of tayto and had to pick at least 3 green chrisps out and thats the ones i seen........oh my god im gonna diiiiieeee!!!! So to answer your question i just chuck them in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

They can make you quite sick - the green colour is caused by exposure to light so potatoes need to be kept in a dark place.

http://www.foodscience.com.au/spuds.htm

jaysus I used to eat around the green bits too instead of wasting the precious crisp but after reading that I think I'll have change my tayto habit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

actually the green bits are small rents in the space time continuum. they look green because inside this anomaly time goes backwards... if you eat enough of them they can actually help reverse the aging cycle.