Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 128. New!

Options
  • 19-11-2007 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's going to be an excellent service, well done to DB for putting it on.

Does anyone know if it is going to go the 27 route from the Darndale Rundabout, into Darndale, up to Northside SC, then back around to the entrance to the UCI/Power City complex, or is it going straight down the Malahide Road?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Nope, it will bypass the tour of Coolock and follow the 42/43 route along the Malahide Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sweet, thanks for that.

Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=715
    Routes 4/4a & 128- Bus services on the Malahide, Ballymun and Blackrock Quality Bus Corridors

New and additional bus services on the Malahide, Ballymun and Blackrock Quality Bus Corridors

Dublin Bus is planning the following major service improvements;

New Route 4a
    A new Route 4a will be introduced operating from Harristown via Ballymun, Phibsboro, O’Connell Street and Merrion Road to Stradbrook, Blackrock. This route will operate a 20 minute frequency all day.

Route 4 extended
    This existing 20 minute service will be extended to Harristown. Between Harristown and Blackrock village, Route 4 and 4a will combine giving a bus every ten minutes on weekdays and every 10-20 minutes on Saturday and Sunday.

New Route 128
    A new high frequency service between Clongriffin and Rathmines using the Malahide Road QBC. Route 128 will operate from the new development in Clongriffin via Clare Hall, Malahide Road, Fairview, City Centre, St. Stephen’s Green and Rathmines Road to Palmerston Park. Buses will operate every ten minutes on weekdays and every 10-20 minutes on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=128

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how does the 128 route through the city centre from rathmines?

is it Harcourt St, Green West, Dawson St, College Green, Westmoreland St, O'Connell St, Abbey Lwr, Amiens St? - can you actually turn from O Connell St onto Lwr Abbey St?

As these are new routes, you'd think DB could supply an accurate route map for them - it'd only take 10 minutes to do... The timetable actually lists "Clonmel St" as one of the stage. According to google this is a cul-de-sac off Harcourt St, so why not actually list Harcourt St rather than some obscure sidestreet that the bus doesn't actually go down??

having said all that, this could actually be a very useful service for anyone looking to get from Connolly to Grafton st area and Luas Green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

the stages on the 128 timetable on the dublin bus website says its lower abbey street but it has been going college green-westmoreland st-eden quay then via the normal 42/43 route to clare hall before heading down to clongriffin

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    how does the 128 route through the city centre from rathmines? is it Harcourt St, Green West, Dawson St, College Green,
    I imagine it follow t he 142 and the 15 series - Harcourt St, Hatch St., Earlsfort Terrace, Green East, Green North, Dawson St, etc.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Westmoreland St, O'Connell St, Abbey Lwr, Amiens St? - can you actually turn from O Connell St onto Lwr Abbey St?
    I imagine like the 142 it does Westmoreland St, O'Connell Br, Eden Qay,Marlborough St., Abbey Lwr, etc.
    As these are new routes, you'd think DB could supply an accurate route map for them - it'd only take 10 minutes to do... The timetable actually lists "Clonmel St" as one of the stage. According to google this is a cul-de-sac off Harcourt St, so why not actually list Harcourt St rather than some obscure sidestreet that the bus doesn't actually go down??
    Its a mistake / hangover from when buses used the lower section of Harcourt Street. Cross streets are usually used to separate stages, anything before the cross street is X, anything after is X+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine it follow t he 142 and the 15 series - Harcourt St, Hatch St., Earlsfort Terrace, Green East, Green North, Dawson St, etc.

I imagine like the 142 it does Westmoreland St, O'Connell Br, Eden Qay,Marlborough St., Abbey Lwr, etc.

The correct route is Westmoreland St - Eden Quay - Beresford Pl.

AFAIK it was originally planned to use Abbey St but as Eden Quay is less congested and the route does not have a stop on Abbey St they changed it. The stop for the 128 is the 90/151 stop on Eden Quay nearest O'Connell Street outside The Laughter Lounge.

The 142 stops at the 42 stop on Abbey St so it has to go that way.
    Its a mistake / hangover from when buses used the lower section of Harcourt Street. Cross streets are usually used to separate stages, anything before the cross street is X, anything after is X+1.

It is just one more thing that needs to be re-drawn. Each route timetable should have a complete list of all stops and each bus stop should have an official designation and there should be a uniform method.

<Street bus stop is on>-<nearest cross street> would be my preference, it is simple and anyone can work out where it is from a map.

Too many descriptions at the moment are of shop/pub names or local landmarks that are not printed anywhere, fine for locals but useless for anyone unfamiliar with an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

Too right - the 63 for example still lists Carrickmines Station on the stage list (though that is actually going to become true again in the future!).

Of note about the 128 is that apparently it does not stop at the Busarus stop which almost every Fairview bound bus uses.

Aquavid

Aquavid wrote: »
    Too right - the 63 for example still lists Carrickmines Station on the stage list (though that is actually going to become true again in the future!).
    Carrickmines Station house, platforms and waiting room still exist! They just haven't had trains in 40+ years.
    Of note about the 128 is that apparently it does not stop at the Busarus stop which almost every Fairview bound bus uses.
    Busaras or Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I do think that Dublin Bus need to advertise this route more. Three 128's went up Kildare Street this evening between 17.00 and 17.10. The first one had six passengers, the second one had none and the third had two!!!

• Advertisement

Aquavid wrote: »
    Busaras or Connolly?
    He's talking about Busaras, opposite the Custom House.

The 42 and 43 don't stop there either, but the 27 does.

The 128 stops outside Gandon House, opposite Connolly Station.

BUT, on it's way into town it just speeds past the stop at Clare Hall Tesco, you nearly have to be standing out on the Malahide Rd in front of the bus before the driver even thinks of stopping.

tallpaul wrote: »
    I do think that Dublin Bus need to advertise this route more. Three 128's went up Kildare Street this evening between 17.00 and 17.10. The first one had six passengers, the second one had none and the third had two!!!

People are afraid of their life to get on unfamiliar routes, it takes months before some people are willing to take a chance on new routes.

I don't think this is ever going to be stuffed on the southside as it runs shorter than most other routes going out that way.

To be fair the display is "Rathmines" so all the people waiting for 14/15s as far as there should be getting it, in reality though the unfamiliar number is too much for many Dubliners to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

DesF wrote: »
    He's talking about Busaras, opposite the Custom House.

The 42 and 43 don't stop there either, but the 27 does.

The 128 stops outside Gandon House, opposite Connolly Station.

BUT, on it's way into town it just speeds past the stop at Clare Hall Tesco, you nearly have to be standing out on the Malahide Rd in front of the bus before the driver even thinks of stopping.

I took this bus today. I was standing at the stop you mention waiting. The Bus stop said 42 and 43. I presumed they hadn't gotten around to putting the 128 on it. However, like the 27, this bus turns right here, rather than going straight on so is in the far lane. I put my hand out well in time but the driver ignored it. I was quick enough to get to the next stop as it was delayed at the lights. Presumably it doesn't stop at that stop due to lane issue.

Does anyone know if I got off at the terminus in Clongriffen near the centra would it be possible to walk to Grange Road. I'm coming from Swords and get off the 43 at Clarehall and take the 128 (which comes almost straight away) to the Roundabout at Grange abbey just before the 128 turns left down HILW road. My final destination is the Industrial estate (grange way) I'm just curious if it would be quicker staying on or not as the walk is about 7 minutes to entrance to estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

It goes to Rathmines via Nassau St, Kildare St and comes back in via Dawson St, Suffolk St etc. I got it the other morning at about 10.15, it took about 15 mins to get down to Eden Quay (which was pretty annoying) it then stood still at the eden quay stop for 5 whole minutes as bus drivers swapped over. I don't know if it's policy to swap drivers there but if it is they need to look into it as its very annoying.

Strangely it then turned left towards Lower Abbey St via Marlborough St, there's seems no reason to do it as it could just head straight and go left around Liberty Hall as many other buses do and the left onto Marlborough is very tight and this bus only made it around because the car which was waiting to turn left onto Eden quay reversed and let it past. Seems a pretty pointless turn.

From there it flew out of town and I was at the stop beside Woodies in Coolock about 8 mins later (yes I did time it).

Also, the driver tried to turn right at Beresford place to head back towards the quays, it must have been his first time driving the route as he didn't really seem to know where he was going, I think one of the other passengers must have had a word :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got this bus twice yesterday - great idea for a route, but those driver changes on the quays are daft.

Especially the one on Burgh quay - I was the only one left on the bus last night as people got fed up waiting for the hand over and got off to walk instead - presumably they were just going to the south city centre.

On the way back there was another driver handover on Eden quay - luckily that guy was waiting, so there was no real delay, but I remember from when I used to have to use those buses who did changeovers in Parnell Square, there is nothing more annoying than hearing the engine stop and the 'we're waiting on a driver' announcement.

For people going to the south city centre area, they may as well get any of the other Malahide Road buses and walk if the driver changeovers become frequent.

Isn't this nonsense what the strike was over?

ThatBloke wrote: »
    It goes to Rathmines via Nassau St, Kildare St and comes back in via Dawson St, Suffolk St etc. I got it the other morning at about 10.15, it took about 15 mins to get down to Eden Quay (which was pretty annoying) it then stood still at the eden quay stop for 5 whole minutes as bus drivers swapped over. I don't know if it's policy to swap drivers there but if it is they need to look into it as its very annoying.

PMSL. Where the fúck have you been for the last week?

Strangely it then turned left towards Lower Abbey St via Marlborough St, there's seems no reason to do it as it could just head straight and go left around Liberty Hall as many other buses do and the left onto Marlborough is very tight and this bus only made it around because the car which was waiting to turn left onto Eden quay reversed and let it past. Seems a pretty pointless turn.

It is, after some alterations they are now supposed to use Eden Quay instead.

Also, the driver tried to turn right at Beresford place to head back towards the quays, it must have been his first time driving the route as he didn't really seem to know where he was going, I think one of the other passengers must have had a word :D

To get from Abbey St to Beresford Pl and onwards to Amiens St you have to turn right to get into the lanes to the right of the bridge support, in a bus or truck you need to turn right even more to get around the bridge. The straight ahead lane from Abbey St is only for the left turn to Gardner St and the Luas lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

John R wrote: »
    PMSL. Where the fúck have you been for the last week?

It is, after some alterations they are now supposed to use Eden Quay instead.

New York, what's the deal? I got it today and there was no driver change over and it stayed on Eden Quay. Again it was empty though, 5 people on it at most, I'm sure it'll increase given time because it's a very handy route

To get from Abbey St to Beresford Pl and onwards to Amiens St you have to turn right to get into the lanes to the right of the bridge support, in a bus or truck you need to turn right even more to get around the bridge. The straight ahead lane from Abbey St is only for the left turn to Gardner St and the Luas lines.

Nah, he was turning right to go around the side of the custom house, towards Memorial bridge/Georges Quay area. The only reason he was able to get back to the right lane is there was traffic ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

If you have a problem with drivers changing in the City Centre, I suggest you contact Dublin Bus management - They have forced this procedure in with little to no care for it's customers.

As you may or may not know Harristown Driver's wanted to start and finish their shifts in the depot to avoid this happening, and went on strike about this. However they didn't really get a decent solution out of the labour court, although admittedly it was better than it was originally meant to be.

So shifts will now start and finish in the City Centre of the 128 meaning a driver has to change half way through, if a driver gets delayed or the bus you are on runs early your bus gets delayed. Myself and Spareman did warn you all this would happen, if only you had listened.

Please do not blame the drivers at Harristown - they are just as pissed off as me and you with this. It really isn't their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

What's annoying about the 128, is the Terminus is on Palmerstown Park... The buses parked at the tennis club there take up half the road and has cars stopped to wait and over take, not a very practical place for a bus terminus.

tywy wrote: »
    What's annoying about the 128, is the Terminus is on Palmerstown Park... The buses parked at the tennis club there take up half the road and has cars stopped to wait and over take, not a very practical place for a bus terminus.
    I think they initially intended it for Kenilworth Square, although that may have been the 141.

• Advertisement

tywy wrote: »

It's a very quiet road in my experience, can't imagine they cause much traffic delays there. Besides that had been a bus terminus for a long time before the 13b was cancelled.

You also have the 142 and 14a at times and new routes tend to get a few extra buses for hte first few weeks until it settles down and the timings are fully understood. When the 151 started, you would often see 4 buses at Docklands, now its more like one and one arriving (the current route is slightly longer than when they started though).

Why doesn't it turn left onto Hawkins Street from the Quays, instead of going all the way through traffic to D'Olier Street?

Either the 127 or the 27X do this (I can't remember which one exactly), and it cuts out the wait at the lights at O'Connell Bridge and traffic in the bus lane after the Hawkins Street/Quays junction.

It would take five to ten minutes off the journey time at peak times, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

Even the 127 and 27x don't always use Hawkins St. I've never been able to figure out why but I suspect it's because too many buses are parked up near the junction stopping other buses making the turn. It's a much faster route than D'Olier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

John R wrote: »
    It's a very quiet road in my experience, can't imagine they cause much traffic delays there. Besides that had been a bus terminus for a long time before the 13b was cancelled.

Before now, there weren't buses sitting there all night. I just think it's dangerous because the buses are parked just where the road narrows at the park there. So if you go to overtake there isn't space to 2 cars. I must admit my experience with this is with those massive SUVs so they are taking up a lot of the road I suppose.

I used the 128 from Rathmines today - it was actually the first one I saw, I saw a few more in town though.

It avoided the turn on Marlborough Street / Abbey Street though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I got one into town on Saturday. Got off at Connolly (never even noticed that stop before) and a guy was getting on. Driver told him he was only going around to Burgh Quay. What's that about? Thought they all went across to Rathmines?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Used to be that nonsense with the ones that did that silly driver change in Parnell Square too.

Latest craziness is that the privately-owned(?) Swords Express seems to use the 128 stop on Eden Quay and crowds the 128 passengers and bus out of it. Myself and an elderly gentleman had to push through the crowds of Swords-bound people getting on their coach to get to the 128 behind a 151 behind the Swords bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'm interested in this new 128 bus route. I live in the Coast apartments if anyone knows it on the Grange side, do you know where the nearest stop is to me? And how near to the Coast complex would it drop me back does anyone know? Thanks.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Latest craziness is that the privately-owned(?) Swords Express seems to use the 128 stop on Eden Quay and crowds the 128 passengers and bus out of it.
    The Swords Express stop is the Laughter Lounge. It is Garda approved.
    Myself and an elderly gentleman had to push through the crowds of Swords-bound people getting on their coach to get to the 128 behind a 151 behind the Swords bus.
    Do you mean you had to walk along the footpath?

Swords Express thread.

Advertisement