Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man, I Feel Like A Woman!

Options
  • 17-11-2007 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Just a question I thought I'd throw out here:

When did you first start to consider yourself to be a woman, rather than a girl? First period? First time yor had sex? First child? Was there any one definitive moment for you?

For me, I think when I started to realise what I actually wanted from life and decided that I have to accept myself for who I am I began to feel more "grown up" I suppose. There was no one moment, just an ever increasing sense of self-sufficiency!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I suppose I felt grown up and "like a woman" when I left home after college. Having to go to work, pay the bills, keep myself eating healthily, clean an apartment and take responsiblity for myself really made me grow up. This is especially true since my bf moved in. I've got very responsible and domestic! My friends all laugh at my homemaking etc, a lot of them still live at home. Also, making plans for the future with someone and taking someone else in to consideration, I think makes you more mature as you're not only thinking of yourself. I definitely feel more like a woman now then a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Would have to agree with you there LadyJ, think it was when i kind started standing on my own two feet. Paying rent and bills, but i think the biggest was when i did my first weekly shop. I know it sounds corney but jsut walking around with the troll, paying at the check out and then putting it all away in my own cupboards etc. It was a case of crap im a grown up!

But still laugh at when i refere to myself as a woman, im like, feck off im still a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

:eek::eek::eek: And me in my innocence thinking this was going to be a discussion on Shania Twain.

I'll just scuttle off back to BG+RH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The truly defining moment for a woman is when she irons her first man's shirt.

Hagar wrote: »
    The truly defining moment for a woman is when she irons her first man's shirt.

ooh, controversial!

• Advertisement

Hagar, behave your little self. And to keep it on topic, when did you first realise you were a woman? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What's ironic about this thread is that all the responses so far have been that posters first felt like women when they started to pay bills, stand on their own two feet etc. , which is what would be traditionally a male societal role.

It begs the question of why this thread is here and called, "Man, I Feel Like a Woman!" and not in AH and called "Man, I Feel Like an Adult". Gender is kind of a negligible factor here.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    What's ironic about this thread is that all the responses so far have been that posters first felt like women when they started to pay bills, stand on their own two feet etc. , which is what would be traditionally a male societal role.

Say what? Nonsense.
    Our traditional roles, were as part of an integrated agricultural social unit. Men, women and children were equally responsible for providing for the family unit.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Say what? Nonsense.
    Our traditional roles, were as part of an integrated agricultural social unit. Men, women and children were equally responsible for providing for the family unit.

Exactly, while traditionally, in times gone, men may have provided for the family, who do you think ran the home, paid the bills and kept everything running smoothly? You can't claim that men did all the grown up stuff and the ladies did nothing.

And yes, this could be a question of when did you feel grown up but as this is a forum mainly for the boards ladies to discuss their issues, woman is in there instead. plus some women may have different opinions of when they felt "like a woman", you're only going on 3 responses.

I started considering myself a woman in the last year, as the general public have stopped refering to me as a girl. Bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

It begs the question of why this thread is here and called, "Man, I Feel Like a Woman!" and not in AH and called "Man, I Feel Like an Adult". Gender is kind of a negligible factor here.

Well because I wanted to hear from women tbh. When girls are growing up there's always a lot of talk about "becoming a woman" when you get your period for example, but I certainly didn't feel like a woman then and I just wondered about other women.

Not interested in the men for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Meh, my point was more to do with the fact that this isn't a very female specific thread. IMO this forum and threads like these seem a bit like separating female posters from male posters for the sake of doing so.

When will we start viewing people as people, undefined socially by their gender....

I'll probably just leave this forum alone from now on.

Meh, my point was more to do with the fact that this isn't a very female specific thread. IMO this forum and threads like these seem a bit like separating female posters from male posters for the sake of doing so.

I see what you mean but I think that girls turn into women in a very different way to the way boys turn into men. Hard to explain really but I do think it to be true so I don't think the thread is too out of place.
    When will we start viewing people as people, undefined socially by their gender....

As for this, I do look at the world in this way but I'm not defining my whole way of thinking in this one thread. I just thought I'd throw the question out there. I mean, I'm totally with you on the viewing people as people and not categorizing but I'm more curious about womens thoughts on this because I feel it happens differently than with men. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

JC 2K3 is right.

Some women sing and dance about the fact they are self sufficiant.
    It's called being an adult, it's not an achivement. Far too many women think it is
    an achivement.

You wouldn't hear a man ever sing and dance about it.

Beyonce: 'I buy my own shoes and I pay me rent'

And all the sisters pumpin their arms in the air. Woohooo you go girl!!

:rolleyes:

Well donnnne!!
    //slow hand clap.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    JC 2K3 is right.

It's called being an adult, it's not an achivement. Far too many women think it is
    an achivement.

Well donnnne!!
    //slow hand clap.

Maybe you didn't read my first post but I certainly don't think being a woman is an achievement of any kind. :rolleyes:

It's a legitimate question. I really didn't think it would cause such hyper-sensitivity among people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

D'ya know I dont think I do feel like a proper woman yet despite all the evidence the the contrary. Still refer to myself as a girl and so do other people.

Think I may cry the day somebody uses woman instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I have to say when I had the first period..I felt fairly womanly. :D

JC 2K3 is right.

an achivement.

Well donnnne!!
    //slow hand clap.

Its the same thing as saying when did you first think you had gone from boy to man.... or have ye lot not gotten there yet?

LadyJ wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't read my first post but I certainly don't think being a woman is an achievement of any kind. :rolleyes:

It's a legitimate question. I really didn't think it would cause such hyper-sensitivity among people.

I read your post. I referenced JC 2K3 comments in my post.
    Perhaps you didn't read mine?

Jules80 wrote: »
    Its the same thing as saying when did you first think you had gone from boy to man.... or have ye lot not gotten there yet?

I have a normal amount of respect for anyone who is self sufficiant, regardless of their gender.

I think it's a bit tragic when anyone, male or female feels that being self sufficiant is worthy of singing about and/or bigging themselves up over.
    With that said, it is mostly women (some, not all, a select group) who do this.

Also, the only women I expect to take offense to what I said are the ones who do it.

:)

I have a normal amount of respect for anyone who is self sufficiant, regardless of their gender.

As do I but this has nothing to do with the topic really.
    I think it's a bit tragic when anyone, male or female feels that being self sufficiant is worthy of singing about and/or bigging themselves up over.

Also, the only women I expect to take offense to what I said are the ones who do it.

Ok, but no one here is doing that. We're discussing when we started considering ourselves women and not girls. In our own heads that is. No one is saying that they're great because they are self-sufficient, just that self-sufficiency is a contributing factor to what makes them feel grown up.

I didn't start a thread to big myself up for being independent and no one here has done that either. The thread is about the point in time that we stopped calling ourselves or thinking about ourselves as girls.

I don't understand why you're picking it up so wrong.:confused:

• Advertisement

As do I but this has nothing to do with the topic really.

It's as on topic as most threads are. Threads diviate. It's no big deal.
    Ok, but no one here is doing that.

Didn't say you had.
    I didn't start a thread to big myself up for being independent and no one here has done that either.

Didn't say you had. :confused:

I don't understand why you're picking it up so wrong.:confused:

:confused: I haven't.

Threads take a journey. Someone says something, Somone responds to what they said, something that person says strikes a chord and another person pipes in.

It's not off-topic, however feel free to disregard what I said. It wasn't a personal attack or in reference to anyone here.

bronte wrote: »
    I have to say when I had the first period..I felt fairly womanly. :D

The morning after the boob fairy left me a c cups aged 11, is not a cheerful memory.
    Was morto to be the first with these awkward, jiggling ,objects of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

The morning after the boob fairy left me a c cups aged 11, is not a cheerful memory.
    Was morto to be the first with these awkward, jiggling ,objects of curiosity.

Overnight. :eek::)

The ESRI gave figures earlier in the year claiming that 81% of Irishmen avoid housework and 71% cooking.

Hard for those lads to sing about something they haven't got.

The ESRI gave figures earlier in the year claiming that 81% of Irishmen avoid housework and 71% cooking.

[SIZE=-1]Homer: Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 40% percent of all people know that.

[/SIZE]Ah don't get me started on cooking. I'll never stop. That deserves it's own thread, but in a different forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I have chinese people do my cooking for me.
    they're quite good.

Crap thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mordeth wrote: »
    I have chinese people do my cooking for me.
    they're quite good.

Thats nice. Whats it got to do with the topic?
    Crap thread.

Crap post ^

And now for my fiddy cents...I am both a Woman and a Girl, although less and less I refer to myself as girl. I am in my mid-twenties so I guess when I am in my 30s I guess won't be calling myself girl. When I have a child/children, I definatley won't be calling myself girl.
    To reply to the-rigger -I know the type of women too that claps and sings about buying her own shoes. It is of my opinion that this type has emerged in the last 15 years or so. Women haven't been enjoying the right to buy their own shoes for a long long, long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eh? What percent of that 71%
    a) live at home (with their parents) under 25
    b) live at home (with their parents) over 25
    c) live with a partner
    d) live with a gay partner
    e) live with their mates
    f) live in a house with college mates
    g) live in their own house, alone
    h) ...

I could go on, but I won't. S[SIZE=-1]tatistics[/SIZE] can be used to prove that God exists & doesn't, depending what agenda the person or company funding the survey has.

Advertisement