Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Ho for Santa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This is why I get annoyed when people lazily accuse me of being PC - THAT'S PC. And PC gone nuts.
    I imagine Aussies will get very pissed off about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

here is a link to a page

with some pics of ho's
    http://www.elcajonpolice.org/Probation/prostitution.html(all safe for work)

but you might need some eye bleach afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

For **** sake that's ridiculous, what will Santa say instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dudess wrote: »
    This is why I get annoyed when people lazily accuse me of being PC - THAT'S PC. And PC gone nuts.
    I imagine Aussies will get very pissed off about it.

I suppose they would, if it was actually true and not made up bollocks for a slow news day. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sweet jebus, where does this leave the Green Giant?

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    I suppose they would, if it was actually true and not made up bollocks for a slow news day. :D
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was true after that "baa baa rainbow sheep" thing a few years ago. Although in Oz, not the most PC of cultures... you could have a point there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Just ban Christmas altogether... waste of time and money. The Christians hijacked a Pagan festival and the capitalists hijacked it from them.

I am actually trying to find a pic of the grave of St. Nicholas of Myra to post here...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it's not as if santa is saying "whore whore whore".
    ffs, a quick search for ho in wikipedia turns up lots of non prostitute related pages

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its $20. You are a little off there. :D

Is your source Wiki?

I see it says $20 there.

A friend in Aus said it's $5k where she is, maybe she is just clueless.

Either way, it's still a joke, the least they could do is put an atari jaguar/Bossarky option on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

whiskeyman wrote: »
    He no longer has a sack.... it's now a 'present container'.

congratulations on the funniest post iv read this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Terry wrote: »
    Santa is an anagram of Satan and that's why many people in Ireland call him "Santy".
    Its a little known fact, but all of his elves are just dyslexic devil worshippers who sold their souls to him by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

If there are any women out there who are so easily offended there is a reason why.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Is your source Wiki?

I see it says $20 there.

A friend in Aus said it's $5k where she is, maybe she is just clueless.

Either way, it's still a joke, the least they could do is put an atari jaguar/Bossarky option on the ballot.

Nope, its based on the fine I got because I didnt vote, I explained I was overseas and they waived it.

Oh god its true.

Just spoke to a friend back home.

I thought he was going to laught at me when I sent it to him, but he replied with 'Yeah, dont think they are going to enforce it though'

*bangs head on desk*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its a little known fact, but all of his elves are just dyslexic devil worshippers who sold their souls to him by accident.

The elves are too busy with the politically incorrect sport of Dwarf Throwing, to be arsed about helping old Santy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Oh FFS! Hohoho is now bloody offensive :confused: Hahaha is just stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bronte wrote: »
    Hahaha is just stupid!

Actually, it could well be worse!!
    Imagine a poor kid with an odd facial defect going up to one of the Santa's, only for him to start laughing... 'hahaha'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Santa is outraged:

HE is an unlikely revolutionary but this Christmas, Santa is a rebel with a claus.

He is having the last laugh on political correctness - and it's a great big fat belly laugh.

Santas across Sydney are rebelling against attempts to ban their traditional greeting of "ho, ho, ho" in favour of "ha, ha, ha".

Recruitment firm Westaff - which supplies hundreds of Santas across the country - has told its trainees that the "ho ho ho" phrase could frighten children and could even be derogatory to women.

Two Santa hopefuls reportedly quit the course because of the hullabaloo of the ho, ho, ho.

One would-be Santa has told The Daily Telegraph he was taught not to use "ho, ho, ho" because it was too close to the American slang for prostitute. He also quit.

"Gimme a break," Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids, said.

"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they.

"Leave Santa alone."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive officer Dr Joe Tucci said it was the latest example of political correctness gone mad.

"There is no stronger tradition for children than Santa's ho, ho, ho," Dr Tucci said.

Yesterday department stores David Jones and Myers and the Westfield shopping centre chain moved to reassure children, and their parents, that Santa and his customary greeting was part of Christmas's present as well as Christmas's past.

A David Jones spokeswoman said they had discussed the situation with Westaff and their Santas would not besilenced.

"Senior management have assured us that Santas provided to David Jones have not been censored in any way," the spokeswoman said.

At Myer, where Westaff also train the fat men in red suit, Santa could not stop laughing about the suggestion.

"Myer has not directed our Santas to refrain from using 'ho, ho, ho' and believe the expression is an important Christmas tradition," a spokesman for Myer said.

Westfield's Santas are recruited and trained by RegProm Marketing and they will be "ho, ho, ho-ing" a Westfield spokeswoman said.

"Westfield Santas are known for their friendly and welcoming nature and know how to deliver a real festive 'ho, ho, ho'."

Sydney mother Maybel Lopez said she wanted her daughter Andria, 5, to grow up hearing Santa's "ho, ho, ho" just like she had and she did not realise it had other connotations.

"It's what Santa has been saying his whole life - my whole life. It is just a normal thing really for him to say 'ho, ho, ho'," Ms Lopez said.

Westaff's national Santa co-ordinator Sari Hegarty wrote to stores explaining the company's position.

"Westaff has been a provider of quality caring Santas for over 40 years," Ms Hegarty wrote in an email.

"Part of our advice to our Santas is that they should be mindful of children having their first Santa experience.

"We ask our Santas to try techniques such as lowering their tone of voice and using 'ha, ha, ha' to encourage the children to come forward and meet Santa. We wish you and your family a very merry Christmas."

Westaff national operations manager Greg Jansz said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of Santa himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Maybe Santa was in a brothel emptying his sack at the time & was so tired he could only pant Ho, Ho, Ho & one of the 'residents' took offence? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

"Gimme a break," Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids, said.

"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they.

"Leave Santa alone."
    You're no role model yourself, Ms. Gale.
    Part of the reason behind the dumbing down of the English language is due to organisations like yours using txt spk type names.
    "Westfield Santas are known for their friendly and welcoming nature and know how to deliver a real festive 'ho, ho, ho'."
    As opposed to all the other Santa's out there, who are generally akin to the robot Santa from Futurama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Aussies are a bit thick anyway... i'll just lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Actually, it could well be worse!!
    Imagine a poor kid with an odd facial defect going up to one of the Santa's, only for him to start laughing... 'hahaha'....

:eek: Never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

keen wrote: »
    For **** sake that's ridiculous, what will Santa say instead?

Ha ha ha,

Im Happy Gift Man/Woman/Equal Opertunist!

Tofu for all!

Merry December Festival!

Maybe this is what the year 3000 will be like too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Motosam wrote: »
    Ha ha ha,

Im Happy Gift Man/Woman/Equal Opertunist!

Tofu for all!

Merry December Festival!

Maybe this is what the year 3000 will be like too.

Hmmm, the word 'Merry' might upset alcoholics. Get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

prendy wrote: »
    these PC people really wreck my head...i mean Ho Ho is offensive????
    if someone really gets offended by a santa saying ho ho then theyve a lot bigger issues.:mad:
    Agreed.

I swear there are people employed in little grey government offices just to think this shit up!

Or else in the back of the newspaper offices to think it up as a pishtake ...

I'm really really hoping it's the latter in this case!

Terry wrote: »
    Heh, although I thought he said "married" first.

Wonder what Boards' own Santa Claus would have to say about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Santa should say LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm assuming that for the "ho, ho, ho" to be changed there had to be some sort of substantial campaign to actually get it changed.

Someone should give anyone involved in that campaign a serious beat-down. If there is anything worse than not getting behind a good cause it's getting behind a stupid, pointless cause. I had a teacher in school like that.

And of course there is the irony that in trying to eradicate the evil "ho, ho, ho" it has merely made the phrase topical all over the world. Real smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

This is ****e. The spread of stupidly PC guff makes me want to to be purposely offensive. I love being offensive. I don't necessarily always mean it but ffs this crap has gone way too far and I don't know how it can be stopped.

I can remember going to see Santa and getting my photo taken and then getting a colouring in book with a five pack of felt tip pens. I loved that. C*nts want a Wii these days. I sound like an old fart but I am 27. Conscription from the age of seven I say.

Advertisement