Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Decades Memories??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Weren't the 00's supposed to be remembered for 'making poverty history'?...what happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

kraggy wrote: »
    Drugs crossing the classes to mass consumption

Haven't drugs been around since the beginning of humans on earth?! Sure didn't those people back in Jesus time see people flying, water trnring into wine and aall sorts of mad stuff! It wasn't tobacco they were smoking you can be damn sure of it!! :D

I would throw in the fact that violence and violent deaths have become so commonplace in the 00s. I know of a guy who was stabbed back in 2000 at a houseparty and it was BIG news, all over the news on radio stations and in newspapers....he survived with only cosmetic scarring. If that happened today, there'd be no reports in any newspapers, people are gettig stabbed and slashed and bet up left right and centre all over the country and it's not even "news" anymore. We've all began to accept it!

And that's not to mention all the guns and drug related murders in the country since 2000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Nunu wrote: »
    Weren't the 00's supposed to be remembered for 'making poverty history'?...what happened there?

That was finished in 2005. A good time was had by all.

I would say the 3 big things this decade will be remembered for (so far) are:
    - 9/11 (and the Bush administration),
    - the (continued) rise of the Internet,
    - environmentalism crossing into the mainstream.

In term of pop culture, I would say it'll be fairly sparse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

LadyE wrote: »
    The Tsumani was in this decade - a huge disaster
    How could you forget that one?:confused:

Probably because after the initial shock nobody cared as much about a quarter of a million faceless Asians as much as they do about what the Beckhams are wearing out on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The best thing since 2000 is Dragons den, The office and Extras.

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    in the 1800's
    200 years out there bud!

back on topic!

Europe & China overtaking the USA as global economies.

Another "you've never had it so good!" decade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Ryanair more and more cheaper routes open to everyone
    The plasma screen tv and ipod
    Playstation
    Return of vinyl
    podcasts
    Private helicopters
    internet chat rooms
    google and utube
    wifi
    the term carbon footprint
    Peace in Northen Ireland
    Dublin Airport still a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

cance wrote: »
    lolcat's
    This decade's finest contribution.
    Plus the skateboarding dog on the iPod ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

reality tv shows

:mad:

on the plus side, cheap air fares, so everyone's travelling a whole lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Web 2.0 and the joys it brings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Introduction of new idealogical struggle to replace void left by cold war (islam -v- west) on 9/11

Global warming and environmentalism becoming mainstream

diversification of media and news sources, introduction of news websites, blogs etc.

the internet as a means of making/keeping friends and as major means of communication

internet & Web 2.0 companies

internet memes

bands brought to fame through the internet

revival of live music (since noone pays for recorded music anymore) and associated bands

Lasting peace up north (withdrawl of british army)

the housing market

emo/D4/Indie and assorted other youth cultures

emergence of teens and preteens as major economic force

TV shows like lost, some films i cant think of right now & reality TV

Introduction of Euro and further strengthening/enlargening of EU

Crazy advances in science and technology

emergence of china and india

Last time i checked society hasn't broken down and everythings grand compared to previous decades, so im gonna go with continued social stability

Ageing of baby boomer generation

a generation of irish kids who have no concept of what it was like to be poor (poor as in 80's poor... and yes i know poor people still exist, but you know what i mean - everyones better off since the 80's)

massive migration to Ireland & associated cultures (polish, chinese etc)

Fiannna Fail in power

cheap air travel

tsunami

google

prob some ive missed out on... can't wait for reeling in the years 2000-2009

andrew wrote:
    emo/D4/Indie and assorted other youth cultures
    Crap like that has been around for decades.
    They just give different names to it.
    andrew wrote:
    Fiannna Fail in power
    Nothing new there.
    andrew wrote:
    tsunami
    Meh.
    I'll see you tsunami and raise you Pompeii.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Terry wrote: »
    Crap like that has been around for decades.
    They just give different names to it.

Nothing new there.

Meh.
    I'll see you tsunami and raise you Pompeii.

Just because they're not crazily new doesn't mean that they won't be remembered. Yeah worse disasters have happened, but the Tsunami will always be remembered (and, come to think of it, i dont see how you can 'raise' me pompeii considering the tsunami was probably more destructive, what with it killing 230,000 people and all). And i know there have always been youth cultures, but that doesnt mean they're all exactly the same, or that current youth cultures arent worth of rememberance. And while fianna fail being in power is nothing new, its still something which will has affected and will be remembered about this decade.

I love you too. :kisses:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

andrew wrote: »
    Just because they're not crazily new doesn't mean that they won't be remembered. Yeah worse disasters have happened, but the Tsunami will always be remembered (and, come to think of it, i dont see how you can 'raise' me pompeii considering the tsunami was probably more destructive, what with it killing 230,000 people and all). And i know there have always been youth cultures, but that doesnt mean they're all exactly the same, or that current youth cultures arent worth of rememberance. And while fianna fail being in power is nothing new, its still something which will has affected and will be remembered about this decade.

The Tsunami wont be remembered and pompeii is only remembered because of it's archaeological significance. The media went nuts over it and there was a cascade of public sympathy, so much so the charities were overwhelmed by the response, and made the comparison between the loss of life there and in Africa.

I wonder how will the affect of the media on the masses in this decade be remembered. It seems like they can now evoke mass hysteria on a whim(maddie mcann).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the low cost, mass travel revolution, most of it only really kicked off in the early 00's, Ryanair only launched their website in 2000, link http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=About&pos=HEAD

From waybackmachine.org -

http://web.archive.org/web/20000301053021/http://www.ryanair.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

matrim wrote: »
    you got in there just before me

I would have though that started in the 60's (and then moved on with each decade) i.e.
    60's = Marajuana, LSD
    70's = continuation of same
    80's = Coke
    90's = Extacy
    00's = Coke back in fashion

Yeah but the 00's have seen the consumption become mass consumption in all classes.

The middle classes didn't start consuming drugs in large numbers until the last 8/9 years.

I stress LARGE NUMBERS. I realise that there have been middle class people consuming illegals since drugs became available in this country but it's only relatively recently that they have done so on a mass scale.

constitutionus, feel free to repost, minus the possibly libellous and unproven allegations contained in your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

constitutionus, feel free to repost, minus the possibly libellous and unproven allegations contained in your original post.

hey, its not me. its his own words from the tribunals. hes given explanations but the fact is the money is untraceable, of unknown currencies and was lodged to his birds account for his use.

these are facts. not allegations.in fact their the only proveable occurances not based on someones word. its the guts what he said. nothing libellous about that . if im wrong show me the receipts :)

If you're right, show me the transcripts.

• Advertisement

If you're right, show me the transcripts.

i belive theres hours of em available from dublin castle , most noteably the testemony of the bankers who handled the transactions and bertie himself. im sure a short google will root em out :D

i belive theres hours of em available from dublin castle , most noteably the testemony of the bankers who handled the transactions and bertie himself. im sure a short google will root em out :D
    It's not up to me to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

kraggy wrote: »
    Yeah but the 00's have seen the consumption become mass consumption in all classes.

The middle classes didn't start consuming drugs in large numbers until the last 8/9 years.

I stress LARGE NUMBERS. I realise that there have been middle class people consuming illegals since drugs became available in this country but it's only relatively recently that they have done so on a mass scale.

When my mum was a child in the 60s she said it was only the rich who used drugs in Ireland. It only became an epidemic in deprived areas in the lat 70s, before that noone in the lower classes used stronger drugs. The middle classes were always known for excess, read a bit of Evelyn Waugh and that will tell you.

im not trying to prove anything. im just stating fact. the monies were lodged , the cash is untracable due to the fact it is cash and the currencies are uncertain because the backing roll's have been destroyed (as is standard practice after 7 yres) and the people involved all admit the cash and account was for a certain persons exclusive use.

everything there is factual and provable from the paperwork. everything else is hearsay. i dont see whats wrong with that

im not trying to prove anything. im just stating fact. the monies were lodged , the cash is untracable due to the fact it is cash and the currencies are uncertain because the backing roll's have been destroyed (as is standard practice after 7 yres) and the people involved all admit the cash and account was for a certain persons exclusive use.

everything there is factual and provable from the paperwork. everything else is hearsay. i dont see whats wrong with that
    La la la. I can't hear you.

Look, just don't post anything that could be seen a libel until this whol mess has been cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

andrew wrote: »
    Just because they're not crazily new doesn't mean that they won't be remembered. Yeah worse disasters have happened, but the Tsunami will always be remembered
    What Tsunami?

Robot slaves become a step closer in that they actually exist now, there expensive but at last, a reality. A watch group is set up to destroy any that speak with an Austrian accent.

La la la. I can't hear you.

Look, just don't post anything that could be seen a libel until this whol mess has been cleared up.

:D

no prob. beside it was decending into politics and derailing the thread. will post back sometime around 2020 :):)

Advertisement