Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belief in God versus the Evolutionist's put down

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have no issue with people voting as they see fit for whatever reason they see fit that way :)

What I have a problem with is representation beyond that or special pleadings for their rules to become everyone's rules. The attitude that religious organisations should have some sort of special position (church and state anyone?) really grinds my gears.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Hmm, while all this is interesting, it does raise a point. Christianity lies behind the principal of Love, which is what Jesus tried to teach. It is *that*, that Christians are meant to go and spread - the perfect love story as such - not necessarily religious legislation.

However, "legislation" as such is meant to come naturally if you follow it. For example, if you love somebody, you ain't going to murder them.. therefore to say "Do not kill" isn't necessarily a backdated tradition as such.

The Bible is full of principals, which, if followed usually end up for the 'greater good' that everyone so earnestly seeks. A good one to throw into the fan is that about pre-marital sex. While it's not there to say "do not enjoy yourself", as many of the Bibles great "heroes" were involved in things even modern society would moot, it's there to protect the greater, ie: kids getting stable families; if the husband-wife morals are followed. It's one of those really...

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

PDN wrote: »
    we consider ourselves bound in a lifelong union due to the vows we made in the sight of God (a covenant) rather than the legal side of stuff when we signed the register (a contract).
    Well said. If only everyone could understand and respect the importance of keeping religion and government apart.

On the subject, does anyone know if you can get married by the catholic church(a covenant in PDN's terms), without being legally married?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If you make promises to another person (in this case your spouse) that you will behave in a certain way for the rest of your life, and if you insist on those promises being recognised by the State in a public ceremony, then it hardly seems unreasonable that you get penalised for breaking the contract.

For what purpose? What would that actually do?

(you seem to be ignoring why we have laws such as fraud covering business contracts)
    The rest of us, who really want to make lifelong commitments to someone, and who value our integrity enough not to want to bail out when we feel like it, could still get married.

You would stay in a loveless marriage (and I assume require your wife to as well) rather than leave? Again, why? What purpose does that serve? Would you lie to your wife and pretend to love her even if you didn't? Do you think that is fair on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

MDTyKe wrote: »
    The Bible is full of principals, which, if followed usually end up for the 'greater good' that everyone so earnestly seeks.
    Personally, I would rather say guidelines.:)That provides for flexibility, which for me is key.

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote: »
    That provides for flexibility, which for me is key.

Exactly.

Clean your mildew - Good princple
    Homosexuality is an abomination - Bad principle

Don't eat a goat's heart cooked in its stomach - Good principle
    Adulterers should be executed, painfully - Bad principle

I could go on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Well said. If only everyone could understand and respect the importance of keeping religion and government apart.

On the subject, does anyone know if you can get married by the catholic church(a covenant in PDN's terms), without being legally married?

No, I don't think you can, that would apply to any Church including the Catholic Church. I don't think any church will go down the road of carrying out weddings that are not legal - it would just open them up to the accusation of conducting 'pretend' weddings.

Wicknight wrote: »
    For what purpose? What would that actually do?
    It might make marriage actually be something significant rather than a farce.
    (you seem to be ignoring why we have laws such as fraud covering business contracts)
    Maybe you could state what those reasons are and say how I am ignoring them?
    You would stay in a loveless marriage (and I assume require your wife to as well) rather than leave? Again, why? What purpose does that serve? Would you lie to your wife and pretend to love her even if you didn't? Do you think that is fair on her?
    Love is not something you fall in and out of. It is a choice. If I was in a loveless marriage it would be because I, or my wife, had chosen to do so, thereby breaking our wedding vows where we promised to love one another.

It might make marriage actually be something significant rather than a farce.

How exactly?

How does a criminal charge or fine make a person love someone else?
    Maybe you could state what those reasons are and say how I am ignoring them?
    Certainly, money

The vast majority of reasons that there are legal systems around contracts is to protect investment of money.

Since marriage isn't about money, its about love, that becomes rather redundant.

Two people in a business contract don't have to love each other. They don't even have to like each other. They do have to pay each other.

You can make someone pay up, you can't make someone love someone else. What you are talking about is criminalizing not loving someone anymore

Marriage isn't a business.
    Love is not something you fall in and out of.
    Oh it most certainly is.
    It is a choice.
    Its not a choice. You don't choose to love someone, and you certain don't choose to stop loving someone. We don't control love, if we did it wouldn't be love.
    If I was in a loveless marriage it would be because I, or my wife, had chosen to do so, thereby breaking our wedding vows where we promised to love one another.

What are you talking about PDN?

You seem to have a very bizarre idea of love. Love is not simply saying "Umm, to day I'm going to decide to fall in love with Mary, then maybe next Saturday I might decide to not love her anymore"

Perhaps robots fall in love like that, but not humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

wicknight, love is a choice. Lust you fall in and out of. Love involves a conscious commitment to someone else.

Caring for them through good and bad. Sticking around for the bad and rejoicing in teh good.

Lust, you stick around at your pleasure.

Love is a work at times and a breeze at others.

A college friend of mine used to take public transit to see his girlfriend, about 60 mins to get there. If he sat on that bus thinking of all her bad points, he didn't like her much. If he thought of all her good points, he was in love.

He choose which to think of, love or dislike. He choose how he felt by the time he got there.

• Advertisement

wicknight, love is a choice. Lust you fall in and out of. Love involves a conscious commitment to someone else.

No, commitment involves conscious commitment. You can choose to do this because you love someone. You can choose not to do this despite loving someone.

What you don't choose is to fall in or out of love with someone. That is emotion, it isn't a conscious decision.

As they say in pretty much every soppy love story ever told (including South Park)

"If we could choose who we love, life would be much more convenient, but far less magical"

I very much doubt that either you or PDN consciously decided to fall in love with your partners. You might have decided to commit to them, because you already loved them. You might have decided to marry them, because you already loved them. But you didn't go "You know what, she has nice teeth and doesn't fart in bed, I am going to decide to fall in love with her"

We don't choose when we fall in love. And we don't choose when we fall out of love.

If we did it would be certainly easier, but far less magical.
    A college friend of mine used to take public transit to see his girlfriend, about 60 mins to get there. If he sat on that bus thinking of all her bad points, he didn't like her much. If he thought of all her good points, he was in love.
    He sat around thinking about all her bad points? That doesn't sound like your friend was in love. More like he was in love with being in a relationship, but wasn't too happy about his girlfriend. But then if he was still in college he was probably too young to know what real love is.

The biggest probably people have is confusing the sense of happiness of being with someone, anyone, with actually loving a person. There are far too many people who are unhappy not being in a relationship, which makes it difficult for them to tells if they actually love the person they are with or do they just love being with someone, anyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote:
    Love is not something you fall in and out of.
    Brian wrote:
    He choose how he felt by the time he got there.
    Funny you guys should say this -- I've seen similar things said by other religious people, but never by atheists.

Anybody else seen/not seen this?

robindch wrote: »
    Funny you guys should say this -- I've seen similar things said by other religious people, but never by atheists.

TBH I have never heard this before, to the point where I had to read both PDN and BC posts twice to make sure they were actually saying what I think they are saying.

Very bizarre. It makes love sound like buying underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It does sound curiously devoid of any passion. I would certainly accept that the fall-in/fall-out level of love is often primarily chemical, and that past that you do have to put work into love - but both PDN and BC appear to be talking about a sort of compassionate commitment hopefully leavened by affection.

To be fair, I think that is what has historically been considered appropriate for marriage, while 'passionate love' has generally been regarded as disruptive and potentially dangerous.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Two examples.

1; Boyfriend A Loves girlfriend B in the "i choose you" commitment kind of way. He travels 4 hours in a bus every tuesday and friday for the weekend to see his girlfriend "that he loves (supposedly)".

2; Boyfriend A loves girlfriend B in the "real love kind of way" where commitment is second to the love he has for her (or becuase he is so in love he doesnt have to conciously think about commiting to her as thats a given). He also travels 4 hours in a bus every tuesday and friday to see the girlfriend.

Can someone point out the difference between Boyfriend A's transit to see his G/F and Boyfriend B's transit to see his G/F. Lets think on the lines of commitment for Bf A and Love for Bf B.

Would love an atheist response and christian response and then compare answers=)=)

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Two examples.

1; Boyfriend A Loves girlfriend B in the "i choose you" commitment kind of way. He travels 4 hours in a bus every tuesday and friday for the weekend to see his girlfriend "that he loves (supposedly)".

2; Boyfriend A loves girlfriend B in the "real love kind of way" where commitment is second to the love he has for her (or becuase he is so in love he doesnt have to conciously think about commiting to her as thats a given). He also travels 4 hours in a bus every tuesday and friday to see the girlfriend.

Can someone point out the difference between Boyfriend A's transit to see his G/F and Boyfriend B's transit to see his G/F. Lets think on the lines of commitment for Bf A and Love for Bf B.

Would love an atheist response and christian response and then compare answers=)=)

I don't see a lot of difference in the transit. The difference may come about if girlfriend B were to receive facial scars in an accident, or if a potential girlfriend C were to try to muddy the waters.

People do not 'fall in love'. They fall into lust or infatuation. Love is a choice - and an excellent choice at that. I'm sick and tired of hearing selfish men (and it usually is men) using the 'falling out of love' excuse instead of acknowledging their own lack of moral fibre.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It does sound curiously devoid of any passion. I would certainly accept that the fall-in/fall-out level of love is often primarily chemical, and that past that you do have to put work into love - but both PDN and BC appear to be talking about a sort of compassionate commitment hopefully leavened by affection.

To be fair, I think that is what has historically been considered appropriate for marriage, while 'passionate love' has generally been regarded as disruptive and potentially dangerous.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

On the contrary, I believe that the love that is a choice is much more passionate than the biological urge you fall into. Such a love is primarily based around giving pleasure and joy to someone else, rather than gratifying your own impulses and needs.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Two examples.

Well in number 1 the boyfriend would simply choose not to love this girl, assuming love is simply a choice that someone can turn on and off at will. I mean why travel so far to see a girl you don't love? Problem solved.

The point is that in reality he isn't choosing to love this girl, he does love her. He loves her for reasons he doesn't control.

What he is choosing to do is to travel that far to see her, and the reason he is choosing to do this is because he loves her

We choose to commit to the people we love. We don't choose to love someone.

On the contrary, I believe that the love that is a choice is much more passionate than the biological urge you fall into. Such a love is primarily based around giving pleasure and joy to someone else, rather than gratifying your own impulses and needs.

On what grounds do you choose who you fall in love with someone PDN?

Do you make a list? Why would you choose someone over anyone else? Do you tell the person that you decided to love them, and you could equally decide not to love?

TBH I my be being a little harsh on you. I think you are simply confusing love with commitment. I find it inconceivable that you would really have decided to fall in love with your wife (and I imagine she would divorce you tomorrow if you said that to her). What you did do is decide to commit to her because you loved her and wanted to be with her and wanted to make her happy. The reason it was her rather than any of the other 3 billion women on the planet is because you fell in love with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't see a lot of difference in the transit. The difference may come about if girlfriend B were to receive facial scars in an accident, or if a potential girlfriend C were to try to muddy the waters.

People do not 'fall in love'. They fall into lust or infatuation. Love is a choice - and an excellent choice at that. I'm sick and tired of hearing selfish men (and it usually is men) using the 'falling out of love' excuse instead of acknowledging their own lack of moral fibre.

I don't agree - and I speak as a man married for over seven years, and having been with my wife for 15 years. Nor, come to that, do I appear to have any choice but to love my daughter.

The difference, I would say, is that loving my wife is not primarily an act of conscious choice, but an involuntary recognition of compatibility deepened by shared experience.

I agree that the commitment is a choice, and that love, after the initial period of infatuation, requires a decision to continue - but I find it difficult to regard what you're talking about as anything other than, as I said above, compassionate commitment leavened by affection.

The problem I have with it is that the form of love you describe can only work as long as there is commitment, and from the divorce stats we know that Christianity, even evangelical Christianity, is no guarantee of continued commitment.

Certainly I reject the implication that any other form of love is actually just lust based on physical appearance, and liable to disruption from every passing flirt.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

On what grounds do you choose who you fall in love with someone PDN?

Do you make a list?

If we are talking about romantic love (eros rather than agape) then yes - I certainly did make a list. Here was mine:

1. I believed that God knew of one person who would be more suited to become my wife than anyone else on earth. Therefore knowing that someone was God's choice for me was number one on the list.

2. Someone who would love God with all their heart and soul and strength. That means that, if presented with the dilemma, she would always do what God wants before what I want.

3. Someone who was full of faith - willing to take risks and be adventurous rather than always playing safe.

4. Someone who possessed basic qualities such as compassion, integrity and the capacity to forgive.

5. Someone with a sense of humour.

6. Physically attractive.

7. An Arsenal supporter.

That was pretty well my list, and in that order (although, at a pinch, I would have sacrificed #7 on the basis that 6 out of 7 isn't bad).

I found someone who matched all seven items. On our second ever date she said she wanted to go somewhere exciting - so I took her to Highbury to watch Arsenal play Leicester City. Today, after 21 years of marriage we are more in love than on our wedding day and having a wonderful life. That has been by choice, not accident.

I found someone who matched all seven items.
    I'm pretty sure you could find a million people who matched those seven items

Did your wife just happen to be the first one you got around to? Did you say "she'll do"?

Your choice to be with her though is becuase you truly love her not because she was compatible to your list. It my have been a decision you made to marry her but you already knew you wanted to before the decision, because you truly loved her. Lust, attraction, infactuation are all tools to let that human fall in love and connect at the soul (or something along those lines).
    Love is truly abstract and impossible to explain the feeling though some might like to try and think they are close. Its kind of like trying to explain consciousness.

I'm pretty sure you could find a million people who matched those seven items

Did your wife just happen to be the first one you got around to? Did you say "she'll do"?

Actually only one person could have matched #1.

That is one of the strongest arguments against atheism that I have ever heard.

Actually only one person could have matched #1.

Ok, lets back up a bit. God told you that the woman in front of you was to be your wife. And because of that you decided to fall in love with her?

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I don't agree - and I speak as a man married for over seven years, and having been with my wife for 15 years. Nor, come to that, do I appear to have any choice but to love my daughter.

I would think you do have a choice whether to love your daughter or not. As a pastor I deal every day with the consequences of men who deliberately took choices that harmed their children (ie having an affair, knowing full well that it would destroy their marriage and devastate their kids). They had a choice - and they chose not to love. Love, and hate, are not some cosmic forces that hold us helplessly in their grip. We choose whether to love or not, and we choose whether to hate or not.

Ok, lets back up a bit. God told you that the woman in front of you was to be your wife. And because of that you decided to fall in love with her?

No - I decided to love her. I didn't fall anywhere. IMO the whole concept of 'falling in love' is an unthinking and irrational denial of personal responsibility.

So when they say the love of god is in your hearts (or something like that) does it mean gods love is a choice or something. Please explain that for me please, the whole gods love to his flock if it is based on what you say then it doesnt really mean much no?

For some reason i get the feeling that the atheists should be arguing for your point of view PDN and you for the atheists one.

• Advertisement

No - I decided to love her. I didn't fall anywhere. IMO the whole concept of 'falling in love' is an unthinking and irrational denial of personal responsibility.

The point about "falling" in love PDN is the idea that love is (supposed) to be a powerful, magical, emotion (I can't believe a Christian is bringing out the sentimentalists in me).

Its not a rational decision based on if the person likes Arsenal or not. ("Sorry we aren't aren't right for each other, you don't even like the Gunners. Whats that? You do like Arsenal! Ok, then I have decided to love you and marry you")

I mean we are so far away from any concept of "love" that I'm aware off I am having a very difficult time even understanding what you are talking about. And I'm not even that sentimental at heart. I know love is an evolutionary response, it is chemicals in the brain. But it is still supposed to be something amazing.

Your description of love sounds like someone buying a car ("Good suspension. ABS brakes. Does it come in red?").

It is so cold and calculated and devote of emotion. You decided to love her based on her matching a list you had already drawn up? Humans don't even decide what food they like, yet you decided to love your wife?

I can't relate. Its about as romantic as a postage stamp.

Advertisement