Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

CJC86 wrote: »
    Everyone who has an exam on Wednesday should make sure that they're aiming to get in early. Apparently there are going to be protests slowing all transport everywhere. Hopefully the wasters protesting won't be up in time to stop people who have jobs or places to be.

I'm interested as to why you consider people exercising their legitimate and democratic right to protest to be wasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'm interested as to why you consider people exercising their legitimate and democratic right to protest to be wasters?

You have a right to protest, not to cause inconvenience to others who have stuff to do. Like the big water protests had an area set aside for them to protest and diversions were in place. Instead they shut down OConnel bridge and generally so nothing but make a fool of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

As Vuzuggu said, of course they have a right to protest, but I also have a right to disagree with what they are protesting and think they are wasters for doing so. Also, shutting down the country's transport infrastructure is not a legitimate form of protest, and many could be arrested for doing so.

Importantly, to stay on topic for the thread, it is completely inconsiderate of their compatriots, and could cause many people to miss exams that day. I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck, and make sure they know that they could be inconvenienced on Wednesday. I also vented my frustrations because I completely disagree with these people, and am completely free to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

There's no rule saying wasters can't exercise legitimate and democratic rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pandora13

CJC86 wrote: »
    Everyone who has an exam on Wednesday should make sure that they're aiming to get in early. Apparently there are going to be protests slowing all transport everywhere. Hopefully the wasters protesting won't be up in time to stop people who have jobs or places to be.

Thanks a million for posting this, I have an exam tomorrow afternoon and will get the early train up just in case. It would be awful to miss a Schols exam just because of protests, I agree people have the right to protest but for goodness sake do it in a civilized fashion which does not involve disrupting all of public transport in Dublin for the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Pandora13 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for posting this, I have an exam tomorrow afternoon and will get the early train up just in case. It would be awful to miss a Schols exam just because of protests, I agree people have the right to protest but for goodness sake do it in a civilized fashion which does not involve disrupting all of public transport in Dublin for the day!

To be honest, I haven't heard anything beyond a rumour over the weekend, so hopefully I'm completely wrong.

Congratulations to everyone who finished Schols today! It's finally over! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Saw no chance of burnout, and I started studying in August! Dunno why everyone warns of burnout, it just intimidates you and puts you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

depends what you're studying i guess.

• 13429305195_7cfa977f64_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Portomarino

Going back to normal study will feel strange
    Thought I did well in the exams (no brainfreeze/panic moments) but with Schols you're never certain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Cant make it up to Dublin for Trinity Monday.. Don't think that I will get schols anyway. Is there an way of getting results without attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

They're posted online on the morning but there's usually a bit of a delay. You'd likely hear from friends there before you see it online

Anita Blow wrote:
    They're posted online on the morning but there's usually a bit of a delay. You'd likely hear from friends there before you see it online

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Cant make it up to Dublin for Trinity Monday.. Don't think that I will get schols anyway. Is there an way of getting results without attending?

If you get it, it's totally worth making your way to Dublin, even if it involves Driving for 4 hours.

Tweej wrote: »
    If you get it, it's totally worth making your way to Dublin, even if it involves Driving for 4 hours.

Thats a big If haha

This is it...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Does anyone know how to get the break down of your individual paper results?

• Does anyone know how to get the break down of your individual paper results?
    Email your department/course head and ask.

Is there some way I could requrest accommodation in Goldsmith next year? It would be so much better than going to halls...

• Advertisement

• Undeadfred wrote: »
    Is there some way I could requrest accommodation in Goldsmith next year? It would be so much better than going to halls...
    You can try, but the answer will be no.

You can try, but the answer will be no.

Aww shucks

Definitely do not try, I already attempted that and the accommodation office was pretty angry (I put down 'on campus' as my first preference before the email clarifying Halls was sent out...:/). Will probably get thrown into Cunningham for that!

Pandora13 wrote: »
    Definitely do not try, I already attempted that and the accommodation office was pretty angry (I put down 'on campus' as my first preference before the email clarifying Halls was sent out...:/). Will probably get thrown into Cunningham for that!

****, are you serious? I thought I'd try my luck and I put down Goldsmith in my application and sent it off.

Is there anyway I can change it before they look at it?

I was the same, thought I might as well give it a shot but it totally backfired! :/

Sugar, there isn't actually any way to change the application once it is submitted, I'm sure you will be grand though! I emailed the accommodation office once I realised my mistake, but there is probably no need. They will be dealing with all schol applications over the next ten days or so, so they will probably just ignore your Goldsmith preference and put you in Halls.

• Don't worry about it, as soon as they see you're a first year schol they'll automatically put you in Halls. They won't vindictively give you a bad room because you put campus on your form either.

Don't worry about it, as soon as they see you're a first year schol they'll automatically put you in Halls. They won't vindictively give you a bad room because you put campus on your form either.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

I realise that this post makes me look like a bit of an "eager beaver"/tw*t, but thanks to the Interweb's anonymity, I can assuage my feelings of cringe.

I want to sit schols for Medicine next January and am wondering should I start studying the SF Med curriculum before we start back? I'm not suggesting I burn the midnight oil for the next two months, but does anyone think it'd be beneficial to me if I read over some of the more dense subjects like anatomy and biochem?

In other words: what did other med schols do to prepare for the schol exams? Did you try to get ahead of the game to give you more time to study for schols in the lead-up to Christmas exams?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InkyOne

pourquoi wrote: »
    I realise that this post makes me look like a bit of an "eager beaver"/tw*t, but thanks to the Interweb's anonymity, I can assuage my feelings of cringe.

I want to sit schols for Medicine next January and am wondering should I start studying the SF Med curriculum before we start back? I'm not suggesting I burn the midnight oil for the next two months, but does anyone think it'd be beneficial to me if I read over some of the more dense subjects like anatomy and biochem?

In other words: what did other med schols do to prepare for the schol exams? Did you try to get ahead of the game to give you more time to study for schols in the lead-up to Christmas exams?

Thanks!

Nope! Don't bother, seriously it's not going to do anything for you. Enjoy your last few weeks of freedom before the schols topic is released! Then study your arse off for the next 3/4 months. But try to enjoy your last few weeks of summer while you can! You'll be doing enough study in the next few months, no need to start early. I also actually don't know of any med scholars (in my year anyway) that failed the christmas exams of 2nd year, if that's comforting.

Source: Med scholar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 esme95

Was wondering if mature students can sit schols?

Advertisement