Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

71 new scholars this year, congratulations to all. I know two

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    71 new scholars this year, congratulations to all. I know two

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/

I know 11 I think. The only one I could have run over and hug though didn't turn up. You always here of those people but don't expect to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Big congratulations to all those who got them, and commiserations to those who didn't! I actually know more new fellows this year than scholars - I know one scholar, just about.

xebec wrote: »
    Big congratulations to all those who got them, and commiserations to those who didn't! I actually know more new fellows this year than scholars - I know one scholar, just about.

Woo! Go Frank Bannister!

Myth wrote: »
    Woo! Go Frank Bannister!

Yep, and I know Cliona O'Farrelly from RL...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Congratulations to all the new Scholars and Fellows. I know (of) very few of the new Scholars (I am becoming old after all!). Particular congratulations to Prof Honohan of the Department of Economics on his Professorial Fellowship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Congrats to all concerned.

Can't believe there were 7 TP scholars, that's nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

ah I recognise a few names on the fellows and scholars list, especially an old friend who was a great help to me in 2nd year biochem, I see she's back in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

There's a CS schol, dear god, the end of the world is nigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

crash_000 wrote: »
    You're kidding me?

/goes and looks.

-Whoa!!

Also, I know very few people on that list, but that's to be expected when I'm not around much (especially not in the library).

Congratulations to all anyway (ya big nerds!).

• Advertisement

I think Enda McGreevy went to my old school in Leitrim.Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CrunchyMask

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Congrats to all concerned.

Can't believe there were 7 TP scholars, that's nuts!

Yea, I'm flabbergasted by that too! And to appropriately top that, one of them got the toronto schol too. Have to say I'm very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Toronto schol?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

obl wrote: »
    Toronto schol?

The prize awarded to the person who achieved the best scholarship exam result.

has that ever gone to anyone outside tp/mathS?

One of my best mates got it! Apparently the Provost was so impressed by his academic results that he got down on his knees and gave him a BJ in front of everyone! It's some mad Trinity tradition dating back to when men were men and the Germans were the "Hun".

Often enough. 2007 it was a Natural Scientist, and 2005 was an Advanced Materials student (interestingly they were both female).

It was a male T.P. in 2003, 2006 and 2008. Can't remember who got it in 2004, but I personally don't recall a maths student getting it ever.

fair enough, but when was it for exams that weren't physics/maths?

Not in my memory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    It was a male T.P. in 2003, 2006 and 2008. Can't remember who got it in 2004, but I personally don't recall a maths student getting it ever.

The guy who got it in my year (2006) has transferred into Maths now, and undoubtedly would have gotten it in maths if he had transferred earlier, but I don't think a current Maths student has gotten it recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

Congrats to everyone who got them.

No pharmacy scholars this year. Odd- there's usually 1 or 2 out of 7/8 that go for it. There were 7 contenders this year, with 3 getting exemptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

69%...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

69%...
    Hard luck man. That kind of thing is really unfair.

69%...

Academics make mistakes. Go and look at your exam papers.

+1 - I've gone up a grade in annual exams before through pointing out mistakes to lecturers...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

69%...

ive been there. talk to your department. the jump from 69 to 70 is huge so good luck.

It's true. Definitely approach your dept/lecturers and check all your papers, add up the marks first to make sure there weren't any simple calculation errors (it has happened). No harm like. Make sure all your questions were marked, then depending on your disposition, go through it with a fine tooth comb. It's worth that effort and intrusion for the value of the scholarship. And if it turns out they did actually make a mistake, then you do deserve it.

Are you an SF? If so, it'd be well worth trying again next year if it doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Equally, I really wouldn't get my hopes up too much as assuming you received 69% average then you need 6% in your papers. There is also the fact that in a case that close I'm sure papers are double checked when reviewing the candidate as schol worthy.

Having said all of that, it would be very foolish to not even check if error really was to blame. ;)

bright wrote: »
    There is also the fact that in a case that close I'm sure papers are double checked when reviewing the candidate as schol worthy.
    With different lecturers marking different questions/papers. And since it can and tends to be done across different departments, with the mark only totalled at the end, you'd be surprised how often this double checking does not occur.
    bright wrote: »
    Having said all of that, it would be very foolish to not even check if error really was to blame. ;)
    No doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

crash_000 wrote: »

I don't get it

Advertisement