Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our president

Options
  • 10-11-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

President Mary McAleese has said people need to stop buying drugs if we want to put drug gang out of business.

She was speaking during a Late Late Show interview to mark her tenth year as President.

Mrs McAleese said it was a simple equation; sellers don't have a market unless they have buyers and people who buy the drugs are responsible for the sellers on the street.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1110/mcaleesem.html

who else thinks that she is nothing but a useless cow getting free holidays everywhere and talking complete ****e?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hit a nerve did she? Buyer or seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Was she appealing to people to stop buying drugs, or saying we should crack down on drug buyers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

or the government could stop criminalising it...

either way, I'm getting more today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jay D wrote: »
    President Mary McAleese has said people need to stop buying drugs if we want to put drug gang out of business.

She was speaking during a Late Late Show interview to mark her tenth year as President.

Mrs McAleese said it was a simple equation; sellers don't have a market unless they have buyers and people who buy the drugs are responsible for the sellers on the street.

who else thinks that she is nothing but a useless cow getting free holidays everywhere and talking complete ****e?

A useless cow because she speaks the truth on this issue (its not rocket science ya know)?.

Or do you base your observations on something else?.

Because I personally have the highest respect for her office.

(Btw, your in Ashtown, jump over the fence and have it out with her yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't know whether you realise the precentage of people who are addicted to the drugs they buy - therefore making it extremely hard to kick the habit.

Other than that, these holidays to NZ etc with ****ty reasoning about trade relations etc. Also the fact she re-instated herself. Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jay D wrote:

McAleese focuses more of her efforts abroad, rather than ireland unlike robinson. She is the longest serving, democratically elected female head of state in the history of world politics.

She does have a very old school catholic point of view of the world and has made controversial comments in the past.

However she regularly visits NI (she's from belfast) and does alot to bridge the gaps between the catholic and protestants communities. She was the first South of ireland political figure to attend a july 12th celebration in NI.

im not a fan of her either to be honest, but i think we can (and have done) far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know whether you realise the precentage of people who are addicted to the drugs they buy - therefore making it extremely hard to kick the habit.

Other than that, these holidays to NZ etc with ****ty reasoning about trade relations etc. Also the fact she re-instated herself. Joke.
    Whose fault is it that they are addicted?

/waits for the inevitable 'alcohol, tobacco, caffiene are worse' bollox.

well tobacco does kill far more people than any illegal drug, and alcohol does cost the state more money ... but yeah, damn junkies!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

She may have come accross a little nieve but a person of her standing should make some kind of stand on drugs.

Her message is a simple, but true one.

Addict or just a muppet when you buy drugs on the street your funding gangland & people die. Junkies die, Dealers die, homes are robbed, neighbourhoods are destroyed (the list goes on) and each and every person who either buys or sells drugs on the street have a share of the blaim.

There's also a good argument for legalising drugs, but since the thread is about the president and not legalising drugs that discussion is for another thread I guess.

Mordeth wrote: »
    well tobacco does kill far more people than any illegal drug, and alcohol does cost the state more money ... but yeah, damn junkies!!!!
    More widely used and the taxes more than cover any medical expenses.

• Advertisement

so what you're saying is, tax heroin and try to get more people to use it.. excellent idea terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

drugs are bad mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmk?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We have a president?

Mordeth wrote: »
    so what you're saying is, tax heroin and try to get more people to use it.. excellent idea terry.
    Not what I'm saying at all.
    Niche groups get too much as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We have a president?

By the sounds of it, we must do. I don't remember voting for her?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Boggles wrote: »
    By the sounds of it, we must do. I don't remember voting for her?

maybe cause there was NO ELECTION for the last appointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ah, democracy at work...

faceman wrote: »
    She is the longest serving, democratically elected female head of state in the history of world politics.

She wasn't democratically elected the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The presidency up until Mary Robinson was about putting in old fogeys who were either retired politicians or liked golf. The two Marys turned it into the ambassadorial role that, IMO, it should be. We did vote for her ten years ago but as there was no real justification for the cost of a Presidential election (€1-2 million IIRC) which she would have won by a proverbial mile, she was reelected by the Dail. The consensus was and is, IMO , that she is doing a very fine job. I like her manner and her attempts to include everyone. That is her job.

I don't think she is in any way naive. It's not a terribly large leap from recreational drugs to the dealers. Whether people choose to agree with her is another thing. We all have our own reasons for taking positions on either side of the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I wouldn't underestimate the value of her going abroad and opening variou things, meeting people etc. It does generate a lot of money down the line and keeps the Irish PR machine rolling.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes she was, as there were no other candidates. Her appointment fits in with most modern definitions of democracy. In fact, she *was* re-elected, just without contest.

Moonbaby wrote: »

The option to re-elect a President is available to the Dail, who I am pretty sure are democratically elected. She was the only nominated candidate as her popularity of in excess of 80% meant a guaranteed whipping for any other candidate. So you should take it up with the parties who didn't bother putting up a candidate. The Job Spec

is_that_so wrote: »
    The option to re-elect a President is available to the Dail, who I am pretty sure are democratically elected. She was the only nominated candidate as her popularity of in excess of 80% meant a guaranteed whipping for any other candidate. So you should take it up with the parties who didn't bother putting up a candidate. The Job Spec

Or in other words, "Sure we couldn't be arsed going through an election, it doesn't really matter anyway lads, give it to that tall bird with the mullet again"

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    I wouldn't underestimate the value of her going abroad and opening variou things, meeting people etc. It does generate a lot of money down the line and keeps the Irish PR machine rolling.

Yes she was, as there were no other candidates. Her appointment fits in with most modern definitions of democracy. In fact, she *was* re-elected, just without contest.

But is winning without contest, winning??

"Powers and Functions
    The formal powers and functions of the President are prescribed in the Constitution. The President, who does not have an executive or policy role, exercises them on the advice of the Government"

From the job description

If the other team doesn't show up and you get a walkover, it's still winning. The mechanism is there to allow for reelection and has been used very frequently. It's not always about winning. Given the role you would like to have someone good in the position , which she certainly is.

The presidency is a political appointment, based on candidacy but a position that is seen as being above politics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

of course it is, why do u think no one else put someone forward?

faceman wrote: »
    of course it is, why do u think no one else put someone forward?

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I couldn't agree with you more. McAleese has further devalued the office of President. She really is no more than an insipid lecher - this self-styled Kofi Annan of Irish politics.

It's such a pointless role. All she does is cut ribbons at shopping centre openings, and make daft comments about "the island of Ireland" and "reconciliation".

I'd say she guffaws alot on holiday, with her lecherous husband, about the handy number that she has...and she didn't even have to face election for a second term because nobody gave a sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I thought she came across very well on the late late last night.

Advertisement