Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to Invest In

• 09-11-2007 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have around €800 a month to invest in.

What should I look into investing it in? I am new to investing so welcome any good advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm far from the best person to advice you, but others here will.

To get the ball rolling though...

Explain what your goals are.

Are you looking to invest for a short term/medium/long term.

How much risk are you will to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

I want to make decent size returns. Medium term - 1-3yrs. Medium risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

K09 wrote: »
    I want to make decent size returns. Medium term - 1-3yrs. Medium risk.

1-3 years wouldn't be considered medium term. 5-7 might.

Everyone wants to make decent returns. The harder and possibly more important question how much are you prepared to lose. 20%? 75%? All of your investment? Risk means you may actually lose!

FWIW, I like energy (especially new/alternative energies) as an investment. But I'm thinking over more than 3 years. And I offer no guarantees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

If you're only considering investing in the short term like you showed, it will really narrow your options. You are looking for something fixed for 2-3 years with a guaranteed rate. Try a Credit Union, but you will likely be disappointed with the rates quoted. Clarify if the rates are before or after applicable taxes.

Why are you only going to invest this money for such a short period, if you don't mind me asking? Do the funds suddenly become unavailable at the end of your specified term?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

From what i can see i dont see how "invest" can be applied to a savings/credit union account. After taxes & charges you are left with a small profit. For me it is what the name says "savings". If you dont want to lose money, stick it in a bank account.

k09: you can make very good returns when investing in funds/shares but as the previous posters said there is higher risk, especially over a shorter period of time. If you invested 5 years ago in equities, you would have made a fantastic return over a short time. I dont believe the same will be said for the next 5.

Also as it appears you are dripping money into the fund, it means your averaguing down any losses, and averaging up any gains - this helps smooth out market ups and downs.

good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 X-Y-Z

BendiBus wrote: »

FWIW, I like energy (especially new/alternative energies) as an investment. But I'm thinking over more than 3 years. And I offer no guarantees!

Hello,
    and what form of investment into new/alternative energies do you think is best at the moment?

Thanks,
    X-Y-Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi if you're investing 800 a month you could diversify into lots of different areas (e.g. euro stocks, US / tech stocks, bank stocks if you're feeling lucky:D) and change the next month if you think investing more in that area would be risky.
    Quinn do funds that you can pay into on a monthly basis and their charges are quite low.
    If you're really willing to stick it out for 3 years and want a good return, banking stocks could be worth considering. But they're not without risk - you could invest in them and see them drop substantially in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Hold your money in cash for another year and a half, then plough in hard once the market crashes, buy lots of tech stocks, apple ,Amazon,google and whatever you do, do not touch Irish stocks especially banks and anything related to property.

The benefit of hindsight is 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

If only you'd given him this advice back when he made the thread in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Hi if you're investing 800 a month you could diversify into lots of different areas (e.g. euro stocks, US / tech stocks, bank stocks if you're feeling lucky:D) and change the next month if you think investing more in that area would be risky.
    Quinn do funds that you can pay into on a monthly basis and their charges are quite low.
    If you're really willing to stick it out for 3 years and want a good return, banking stocks could be worth considering. But they're not without risk - you could invest in them and see them drop substantially in the next year or so.

And loose all your money.. look at the banking sector interest rates are almost zero alone how are banks going to make any money to increase shareholders wealth? Avoid like the plague

Another financial crisis is only around the corner, better off stacking your cash and waiting as you will find bargains then when the downturn comes. As buffett says be "Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement