Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 bus stops out of order ???

Options
  • 09-11-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about this ?
    There are notices saying that at least 3 of the bus stops on the 39 route are out of order and that buses will not be stopping at them, they are on the blakestown road.

There are no press releases or notices on the dublin bus website about it.

The road works on the Blanchardstown north road have already made one of the bus stops there inaccessible and the bus drivers don't stop at it and have in the past refused to top at the one that was still accessible and sailed right past and would not stop until the shopping centre.

Can Dublinbus just decided to decommission bus stops with out consultation and informing the public ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this sounds like a poor situation, I understand that Dublin Bus can just stop serving an area (for the safety of their Staff) but to decommission stops while the busses just drive past must be very inconvenient for the users in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive just moved back home and forgot how much I hate the 39 bus. It takes so long...I was on it for 1hour20minutes last week and it wasn't even rush hour. The route has changed to when I used to get it but I dont know if thats what you are talking about.

It drove down the Blanchardstown road and took a right into the shopping center, then came back out and drove back down the same road. Then down by Mount View and took a right going along the park. It then took a left and went into Huntstown and around the loop by the school etc. Is that the normal route ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Know what you mean about the 39. Was meeting a few friends in the Hole in the Wall one night, decided to get the bus. Boarded at 8pm exactly at Ongar - my nearest 39 stop - the terminus actually, around a 10 min walk from my house.

8pm, so rush hour traffic would have died down. I got to Blanch village at 8.45pm... 45 mins to get, what, 2 miles down the road? Only took around 10 mins from there to where I hopped off on the Navan Road.

Ridiculous bus route. They'll never get people out of their cars in this country with the sh1t alternatives they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Rumour-only but... Apparently buses were attacked on the road on at least two occasions recently (Supposedly with an air rifle or firearm of some sort.)
    Although, bus drivers seem to be following whatever route they want - there is little or no consistency. Some drivers go through the centre and some don't. Some go in and come back out, etc just not stopping on Blakestown road on the way. Some cut through the town centre and go straight through Coolmine. Some drivers were not stopping at the stops on Blakestown Rd. before the signs were up... It's a mess.
    On the plus side, they've been the best journies on the 39 in many, many years for me.

Karoma wrote: »
    Rumour-only but... Apparently buses were attacked on the road on at least two occasions recently (Supposedly with an air rifle or firearm of some sort.)
    Although, bus drivers seem to be following whatever route they want - there is little or no consistency. Some drivers go through the centre and some don't. Some go in and come back out, etc just not stopping on Blakestown road on the way. Some cut through the town centre and go straight through Coolmine. Some drivers were not stopping at the stops on Blakestown Rd. before the signs were up... It's a mess.
    On the plus side, they've been the best journies on the 39 in many, many years for me.

Whys that ? The alternate routes seem to take longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tusky wrote: »
    Whys that ? The alternate routes seem to take longer.

Depends on the time of day, I suppose. For me, it took less time + seemed to take less time because of fewer stops; and slightly fewer idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The bus had a bullet fired at it about 2 weeks ago. Avoided Whitestown/Fortlawn for about a week. Service back up, and someone throws a rock at the bus, apparently injuring a passenger.

The irony being the skanger/skangers who did it are probably raging they have to walk an extra 5 min to get a bus now.

39 is a pain in the hole re the time it takes to get to town (or to wind thru Clonsilla to Ongar). And if heading inward it takes years to get out of the traffic jam between Coolmine and the village. Glad i dont live on the route.

shane86 wrote: »
    The bus had a bullet fired at it about 2 weeks ago. Avoided Whitestown/Fortlawn for about a week. Service back up, and someone throws a rock at the bus, apparently injuring a passenger.

The irony being the skanger/skangers who did it are probably raging they have to walk an extra 5 min to get a bus now.

39 is a pain in the hole re the time it takes to get to town (or to wind thru Clonsilla to Ongar). And if heading inward it takes years to get out of the traffic jam between Coolmine and the village. Glad i dont live on the route.

Its crazy how many areas it services. For the ammount of people that live on the route, there should be various services. Shouldn't get dragged into the shopping center & the village as well as everything else. Can drive to town in 25/30 minutes. Bus takes about 1h15.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When I moved out here first and got a 39 for the first time I thought someone was having a laugh. It's the only bus route 've ever come across that doubles back on itself. Surely the "planners" in DB can see that it's obvious that the bus will get stuck in the permanent traffic jam going into the town centre, and again in the permanent traffic jam on the way out? It took over 25 minutes one day to get in and out of that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is one of the most stupid bus routes I have ever been on tbh,
    It has been quicker and cheaper for me to use a travel 90 ticket and get a 220 to finglas and transfer to a 40A to get into town then to get a 39.

The 39 should be split into 3 seperate routes and the 38 into two routes.
    With one of those being a feeder bus from the train stations to and from the shopping centre.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is one of the most stupid bus routes I have ever been on tbh,
    It has been quicker and cheaper for me to use a travel 90 ticket and get a 220 to finglas and transfer to a 40A to get into town then to get a 39.

With one of those being a feeder bus from the train stations to and from the shopping centre.

Do you know if there is anything planned for the 39 ? Are they going t change it as it it has been terrible for as long as I have been living out here (12 years). It is so bad that I cant stay living here and I'm gonna move purely because its so awkward getting in and out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Thaedydal wrote: »

What?? You can't say things like that in public!

That makes too much sense for DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The reason is mentioned in an other thread last week or so.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172677

Got the 220 home on Friday and the driver got lost as he didnt know which way to go as he ended up driving down Blakestown Road and asked for help.

Advertisement