Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup Weekend (9th/10th/11th November)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Cracking match and great performance from Munster - pity about the result...Surprised that O'Gara didn't try a drop goal when they were on the 22line, especially as he had the confidence to go for one from much further back!

Maybe some of the decisions could have gone a different way but that's another conversation :) Very proud of the performance and great to see the Irish lads back on form and ready to scrap for everything!

Thought Buckley did alright when he came on - no John Hayes but shows that we aren't completely out of depth without him.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    yup great defence by leinster
    leicester were probably a bit distracted with their ,who can grow the best facial hair competition :D

I had to split my slef at the match watching Geordy s new look, Goode was bad too and one of the front row on the bench was sporting what seemed to be a new soup strainer also.

Great game by Leinster not sure why Phil got MoM though?

Few other legends in there, Ollie Le Roux is now officially a tearrace legend sporting 3 different personalised songs, at least , already !!

Oliee ollie ollie ollie ollie ( ole ole ole :D )

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    yup great defence by leinster
    leicester were probably a bit distracted with their ,who can grow the best facial hair competition :D

it's for charity to support the Matt Hampson trust..

Great game by Leinster not sure why Phil got MoM though?

will try and watch highlights later but was at the game and he made all the breaks, the try came from slick move from hime and some great tackles along with a great kicking day. The one he missed was actually good, was behind the posts and the touch judges were not at all sure in not giving it. Had to be him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

copacetic wrote: »
    will try and watch highlights later but was at the game and he made all the breaks, the try came from slick move from hime and some great tackles along with a great kicking day. The one he missed was actually good, was behind the posts and the touch judges were not at all sure in not giving it. Had to be him imo.

I thought it had to be one of the forwards, except Jackman that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

munster had a great game today and should be proud of their performance, dowling should have been starting on the wing instead of horgan, he should never pull on the munster jersey again, he simply is not up to scratch. stringer played well in face of the young pretender and the battle was 50-50, pretty much how it was all over the pitch. one of the best games of rugby i've seen in a while. great to see the heineken cup back and irish players playing as well as we all know they can.

uberwolf wrote: »

certainly as a group they won the game, but probably no individual stood out among them the way the 10 did although gleeson and heaslip were outstanding, as was cullen. Oh, and jennings. Making my own point there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Listening on the radio.

If Horan had kept his mouth shut when pinged Munster could have got out of there with the win and denied Wasps the bonus point.

Money is on Leinster so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Excellent day of rugby, and (following on from solid performances last week) a much needed rebirth of irish rugby! Look forward anxiously to the 6N now, hopefully huge competition for places!

This is my first real season of following club rugby, have to say it has a certain edge over internationals IMO! Really enjoying the HC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thought ROG's comments about one or two of the players not having the belief to win were a bit off. That won't help any questions of morale.

Delighted with the win for Leinster, Munster were possibly unlucky not to get the win, but both groups look like they're going to be quite interesting at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

Great day for leinster today. Played some good rugby out wide as we know they can, but what was most pleasing was the pack, the front row in particular. Denying Leicester the bonus point at the end too could prove crucial. Losing today would basically have bee nthe end of leinsters season before it had begun, but they really sent Leicester packing. Will be a different story over there, but the first hurdle has been overcome. As for munster, well I dont care to be honest. Well done Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Amz wrote: »
    Thought ROG's comments about one or two of the players not having the belief to win were a bit off.

He actually said that? Christ that's bad form, from a captain especially! and audacious considering his awful WC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Saw the highlights package last night and Leinster's defence was superb. Morale seems to be very high as they were quick to congratulate each other whenever a Leicester attack was foiled. Great to see Girv ready to take a few wallops from Corry when protecting the ball at a ruck on our line on 80 mins. I wonder will Cheika go with two 7's against Toulouse next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Munsters second try was class, could look at it over and over again

Agreed the game was won up front and thro the front line defence. You beat a Leincester team something mighty must have happnede in the forwards.

I thought Ollie was extremely charasmatic and the Leinster scrum was solid on their put in but the Leicester scrum was carnage on their put in. Down to Ollie and perhaps the inside knowledge that Jennings and Cullen brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

madds wrote: »
    Saw the highlights package last night and Leinster's defence was superb. Morale seems to be very high as they were quick to congratulate each other whenever a Leicester attack was foiled. Great to see Girv ready to take a few wallops from Corry when protecting the ball at a ruck on our line on 80 mins. I wonder will Cheika go with two 7's against Toulouse next weekend?

where would one find such a highlights package?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

where would one find such a highlights package?

i believe he is talking about the one on RTE at 11.30 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

karmabass wrote: »
    Excellent day of rugby, and (following on from solid performances last week) a much needed rebirth of irish rugby! Look forward anxiously to the 6N now, hopefully huge competition for places!

This is my first real season of following club rugby, have to say it has a certain edge over internationals IMO! Really enjoying the HC

True you wont find any world cup shenanigans in style of play for a lot of reasons. Great weekend of rugby i might add and after my fair share of half decent looking rugby yesterday i decided to start watching Bristol do 100% forward work and beat Cardiff^^

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Darcy got no less then 3 penalties in our 22 for the other guy holding on the ground. Its like we have 4 opensides on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sangre wrote: »
    Darcy got no less then 3 penalties in our 22 for the other guy holding on the ground. Its like we have 4 opensides on the pitch.

he was my man of the match.

• Advertisement

Great performance by both sides yesterday.Leinsters defence was impregnable,Munsters was a bit shaky near the end but still a good improvement.Munster were unlucky in the end but at least we won't get complacent this year,we know we have to win all 5 games now.Could be a close one with bonus points looking very hard to pick up in this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Anyone see Buckley's hand off on Shaw? Probably the best hand off I've ever seen, just tossed him to the ground like he was a ragdoll. He also got a huge hit on someone else, can't recall though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A good win by Leinster. They really stuck to their plan. They tackled well and ran when they could. A very good result.

Does the "return to form" of so many players indicate the lower standard that H Cup and ML is over RWC, or does it prove the suspected issues that surrounded the Irish camp and issues with the manager?

Although this probably could be a thread of its own, Id be inclined to go with the latter.

Also anyone at the game in the RDS notice when EOS appeared on the big screen in the crowd, there was a nice round of jeering !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If further evidence was needed yesterday's game between Leicester and Leinster is a damning indictment of EOS for not bringing the likes of Gleeson and Heaslip.

O Gara's isn't making life easier for himself with the comments he made in the interview after the game. Which were ill-advised considering his abject displays in the World Cup. To be fair he did play well yesterday,though. That little kick through for the try was quality.

Also anyone at the game in the RDS notice when EOS appeared on the big screen in the crowd, there was a nice round of jeering !

I was in the north end and didn't hear any jeering at all? There was a few half hearted cheers as people knew he had come out of 'hiding' the night before, but certainly no jeering?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sangre wrote: »
    Anyone see Buckley's hand off on Shaw? Probably the best hand off I've ever seen, just tossed him to the ground like he was a ragdoll. He also got a huge hit on someone else, can't recall though.

On Sackey - great hit!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Amz wrote: »
    Thought ROG's comments about one or two of the players not having the belief to win were a bit off. That won't help any questions of morale.

Delighted with the win for Leinster, Munster were possibly unlucky not to get the win, but both groups look like they're going to be quite interesting at the very least.

He just comes across as a naggy moppy bitch - you know the type that ruins a night out when they dont get their own way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

off the cuff remark in the heat of the moment. don't blow it out of proportion, o gara says whatever comes into his head when he's interviewed. he wasn't trying to insult anybody in the same was he wasn't trying to insult anybody with his comments about sky sports hyping up charlie hodgson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Watched both games today and I have to say Leinster looked the better of the the (forget about Ulster they're pretty much out already). Jackman was my man of the match in the Leinster game.

To me Munster seem like a puppy with big paws now that they have a re-energised backline in that they know what to do with them but they haven't quite grown into them yet. That will only improve with more Magners matches and when Howlett arrives and Dowling is back to fittness I see good things for them (I hope).

Advertisement