Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs & VAT query on goods from the USA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I thought DHL now deliver all air parcels for USPS in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ixoy wrote: »
    How does it work with mixed goods? For example, I recently got a parcel off of Amazon.com that contained DVDs (VAT @ 21%) and books (no VAT). Do they go to the trouble of opening the package and totalling up the individual VAT items or do they just apply it as a lump sum, in which case they're pretty much illegally taking VAT from a shipment.

There is usually a document with the parcel stating whats in it for shipping purposes. They take this document and if it has what seems the correct details they use this for their basis of adding VAT etc etc.

If its a bit vague I have seen them put into quarantine and opened later by customs officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I cant figure out how to multi-quote so here goes

>> ciaran76
    >>I thought DHL now deliver all air parcels for USPS in Ireland ?

It is defintely An Post.

>> smccarrick
    >> I believe postage is also VAT exempt (correct me if I'm wrong......)

As the lengthy reply from the revenue says vat and duty are based on the CIF cost. The F stands for freight i.e shipping/postage charges

>> BarryM
    Amazon.com do not deliver locally i.e. bulk ship to europe and post from there.

From personal experience USPS EMS from the states (sometimes called Global Express Mail or GEM) is a better option than a courier. Far cheaper and less chance of the revenue inspecting the parcel. Even if duty and vat are levied the An Post handling charge is cheaper than all the couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

ciaran76 wrote: »
    There is usually a document with the parcel stating whats in it for shipping purposes. They take this document and if it has what seems the correct details they use this for their basis of adding VAT etc etc.

If its a bit vague I have seen them put into quarantine and opened later by customs officers.

I got caught for duty and vat on books from the US when I querried this I was told no exceptions and that it was up to me to clarify this with the Customs and I could not get the goods and recover the charge later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement