Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful service on 46A this afternoon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

spareman wrote: »
    I mean if youve got some better idea's let me know and I can run them past the manager and gain some much needed brownie points.
    It might be better for the 46A to just not have a timetable. The Luas doesn't have one, it says something like 'a tram about every 7 mins'. No one except for Dublin Bus employees read the 46A timetable, passengers just go down to the stop and get the next bus that comes.

jlang wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter to me as most busses fill up by Stillorgan anyway and run full until UCD. Waiting at MM Ave is a lottery between 8:30 and 9am, although there's enough total capacity (with the 145s) that even if six or eight busses go by without picking up, you tend to still only have to wait 15-20 minutes, worst case, although there can often be over 50 people at this one stop by the time a bus does actually stop.
    I've often thought that there should be a bus going in a loop between Belfield and somewhere between Stillorgan and Foxrock. It never made sense to me to have a shortage of capacity around Stillorgan and then spare capacity on the buses running into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Spareman - I see your point, but the fact that the bus is the 3:10 bus that started at 3:30 is irrelevant to anyone who is not in Dun Laoghaire. The only use the timetable is to someone at Stillorgan is to see e.g. 7 departures over the previous hour and say a bus should be due in 60/7 minutes or about a bus every 10 minutes. After waiting for 25 minutes and seeing three busses head in "out of service" but carrying passengers (been there), the guy waiting for an inbound bus is rightly pee-ed off.

My own pet peeve on the 46A was how outbound frequency although great at 5:30 falls off massively some time between half 6 and 7pm - regular massive queues, full busses and long wait times.

I can understand the passengers are frustrated but The drivers are frustrated too at these situations.

There a couple of weeks ago the whole
    46A fleet got delayed coming out of town, every bus on the 46A route was stuck in traffic between Parnell square and Donnybrook outbound, some taking up to 4 hours to reach Dun Loaghaire, which meant no bus had left Dun Loaghaire for a long time, now I know this was a once off due to traffic light malfunction, but in this situation there isnt much Dublin bus staff can do.

I have noticed how busy it gets outbound after 6/7pm, it seems to be a strech on rush hour, which now really doesn't end till closer to 8pm, Traffic is getting worse everyday in the city, more people are using buses everyday, theres no end to it.

The running time on the 75 route for example has been the same for the last 10 years, despite more bus users, more traffic, and the biggest shopping center in Europe opening on the route also 6 other busy shopping centers on route, and you would need a few hands to count the schools on route, Which results in missed departures, angry passengers, drivers taking abuse. whats the answer? If you give more running time it means less departures? The city needs a hugh increase in buses, and keep them out of o connell street, another pet hate of mine, cant understand why the company insist on sending every bus in the fleet through O Connell street every rush hour.

John_C wrote: »
    It might be better for the 46A to just not have a timetable. The Luas doesn't have one, it says something like 'a tram about every 7 mins'. No one except for Dublin Bus employees read the 46A timetable, passengers just go down to the stop and get the next bus that comes.
    Yes I think this would be good, but the manager seems to think its great to see all the departures written out on the page. I think Aircoach have the right idea up to every 20mins is there timetable, also most of the uk companies do this. But I dont think it would help much in the situation of buses getting delayed.

Do they not? I had always assumed the 46A had a few of these in the morning ready to join the QBC at Foxrock and even out the gaps caused by busses coming up from DL. Doesn't really matter to me as most busses fill up by Stillorgan anyway and run full until UCD. Waiting at MM Ave is a lottery between 8:30 and 9am, although there's enough total capacity (with the 145s) that even if six or eight busses go by without picking up, you tend to still only have to wait 15-20 minutes, worst case, although there can often be over 50 people at this one stop by the time a bus does actually stop.
    The buses at foxrock and stillorgan also at belfield and abbey road monkstown actually have timed departures, this is to help people like your good self at mount merrion to actually get a bus, although the inspector may hold them back for a min or two to split the gap, I think the average is a bus every 50 secs on stillorgan road inbound between 8 and 9am, thats some figure isnt it.

• Advertisement

I've often thought that there should be a bus going in a loop between Belfield and somewhere between Stillorgan and Foxrock. It never made sense to me to have a shortage of capacity around Stillorgan and then spare capacity on the buses running into town.
    Seems like a good idea alright, but Ive often had to work short to belfield from Dun Loaghaire for various reasons and never really carry that many people, If I was manager tomorrow the 46A wouldnt leave the bus lanes, no o connell street, no dun loaghaire untill the QBC is finished to Dun Loaghaire that is. The bus takes about 20/25 mins from lesson street to foxrock and vice versa, It took me 1 hour 45 mins to get from westmoreland street up around parnell square and back down to dolier street the other day, people can walk down from Stephens green or get an eco cab, luas link up, or a city imp type circular route?

Seems like a good idea alright, but Ive often had to work short to belfield from Dun Loaghaire for various reasons and never really carry that many people,
    I think the reason for that is because a passenger would have to pay twice if he was going further than Belfield. If the ticketing was different you'd have more people willing to endure the 50 sec wait at Belfield.

While I'm at it, would it not speed things up to put a ticket machine at the busy stops like Stillorgan and Mount Merrion Avenue? The bus can be stopped for a minute or two while the driver handles cash.

While I'm at it, would it not speed things up to put a ticket machine at the busy stops like Stillorgan and Mount Merrion Avenue? The bus can be stopped for a minute or two while the driver handles cash.
    Yes I think it would be a good Idea, but and here's the thing about Dublin, nothing is safe left out overnight, they would be smashed up by drunken yobs for fun, every weekend in this city lots of bus shelters are smashed up for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Yes I think it would be a good Idea, but and here's the thing about Dublin, nothing is safe left out overnight, they would be smashed up by drunken yobs for fun, every weekend in this city lots of bus shelters are smashed up for fun.
    Couldn't something like a parking machine be useful. There are lots of those around and they don't get vandalised because (afaik) the "money tank" is under the ground (can't think of a better word).

Didn't they used to have on some route timetables, things like:
    First Bus 08:35
    then one bus every 10 mins until
    19:30
    then one bus every 15 mins until
    Last Bus 23:30
    I wouldn't be in favour of bringing them back though because its open to interpretation as to when a bus is supposed to leave.
    spareman wrote:
    The thing alot of people seem not to understand, is that the 3.10pm bus in Dun Loaghaire has to work out from town to get to Dun Loaghaire at 3.10pm. it doesnt just magically appear in Dun Loaghaire at 3.10pm, so if it is delayed on the outbound journey there is a very good chance the 3.10pm from Dun Loaghaire wont operate.
    I do understand that there is only a limited amount of buses to service a route and that it very possible that they are delayed. Just to say regarding my original post, when I was waiting there was actually a bus there, clearly marked 46A which could have left. There were also 2 or 3 other buses (unmarked). All that had to be done was provide a driver.
    spareman wrote:
    ...Ive been going over it in my head and the way I see it there's 2 possible solutions, either the Guards start to enforce the rules of the road regarding bus lanes, loading bays, taxi ranks, dangerous pedestrians, lunatic cyclists, illegal parking and any other obstruction that delays buses, or Dublin bus have a manned fleet of Double decker buses on standby, at stratigic points around the city to jump in when other buses are delayed, either way its going to cost the taxpayer more money, and lets be honest here, us Irish seem to have developed this thing for money that we dont like to part with it, just look at the state of any public service in this country, Its all a joke, one big JOKE.
    Glad to see you're telling it like it is. Of course its true about rules not being enforce. Who actually has responsibility over the N11 "QBC" anyway? Who has the power to change things about it? I see cyclists obstructing the bus lane when there is a SEPARATE cycle lane provided. I also don't see why the bus must go through Stillorgan. There are also several T-junctions where the bus lane will not interfere with traffic, why does the bus have to stop at those lights?

The lights on the N11 are stupid. The only bus priority light is one near the Stillorgan Park allowing the bus cut across 3 lanes of traffic so that it can go through Stillorgan village! Oh and also at Foster's Ave. there's a set of lights (at the Radisson - but for traffic city-bound). They are the stupidest lights I've ever seen. The left filter light comes on AFTER the lights go green for traffic going straight. So the bus has to wait behind the traffic looking to turn left before it can go. Who can change this rubbish, DLRCC, DCC, NRA, Dublin Bus? Someone must be in charge!

bryanw wrote: »
    Couldn't something like a parking machine be useful. There are lots of those around and they don't get vandalised because (afaik) the "money tank" is under the ground (can't think of a better word).

Im sure there is possibly some way to keep vandalism to a minium, I was thinking about the one they have at the Airport, and if they put them citywide I can only see carnage.
    Didn't they used to have on some route timetables, things like:
    First Bus 08:35
    then one bus every 10 mins until
    19:30
    then one bus every 15 mins until
    Last Bus 23:30
    I wouldn't be in favour of bringing them back though because its open to interpretation as to when a bus is supposed to leave.
    I noticed the 151 timetable is like that now, so maybe they will change them all in time, It doesnt really make a whole lotta difference if the bus is delayed anyway.
    I do understand that there is only a limited amount of buses to service a route and that it very possible that they are delayed. Just to say regarding my original post, when I was waiting there was actually a bus there, clearly marked 46A which could have left. There were also 2 or 3 other buses (unmarked). All that had to be done was provide a driver.
    The 46A that was there may have come direct from the garage and thats why he was early for his journey, The other buses would have been for other route's, 111/75/59, But I can see your point, you see 4 buses and you want one to leave straight away because you want to take the bus, If the 46A left early what about the people who arrive at his time and he is gone, If one of the other buses is used what about the people who want a 11/75/59. Your bus was more than lightly delayed due to heavy traffic.
    Glad to see you're telling it like it is. Of course its true about rules not being enforce. Who actually has responsibility over the N11 "QBC" anyway? Who has the power to change things about it? I see cyclists obstructing the bus lane when there is a SEPARATE cycle lane provided. I also don't see why the bus must go through Stillorgan. There are also several T-junctions where the bus lane will not interfere with traffic, why does the bus have to stop at those lights?

The lights on the N11 are stupid. The only bus priority light is one near the Stillorgan Park allowing the bus cut across 3 lanes of traffic so that it can go through Stillorgan village! Oh and also at Foster's Ave. there's a set of lights (at the Radisson - but for traffic city-bound). They are the stupidest lights I've ever seen. The left filter light comes on AFTER the lights go green for traffic going straight. So the bus has to wait behind the traffic looking to turn left before it can go. Who can change this rubbish, DLRCC, DCC, NRA, Dublin Bus? Someone must be in charge

I think the whole QBC network needs attention, there are lots of things we could do to speed up the service, I believe from Booterstown ave out is DLRCC terriortory, Id imagine its up to them and Dublin Bus to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes. But let's say there are 8 buses parked to serve 9 departures in the coming 1/2 hour

You know the next bus to leave should be a 46a but he, the missing 9th bus is stuck in a jam and he'll be 15 minutes.

Can't you just tell the next bus to go out as a 46a and when the stuck bus gets in tell him to drive the other route ?

or is that too simplistic ? Me, I thought that's what those lads on the radio did was to make decisions like that to keep the pot boiling.

trellheim wrote: »
    Yes. But let's say there are 8 buses parked to serve 9 departures in the coming 1/2 hour

You know the next bus to leave should be a 46a but he, the missing 9th bus is stuck in a jam and he'll be 15 minutes.

Can't you just tell the next bus to go out as a 46a and when the stuck bus gets in tell him to drive the other route ?

or is that too simplistic ? Me, I thought that's what those lads on the radio did was to make decisions like that to keep the pot boiling.
    No can do, you cant make a 46A driver work another route, you can ask him too alright. and besides tri axle buses are not really suited to other routes. There is some give and take alright, but we are talking about 1 bus waiting not 8 so its a bit different really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I just want to first say 'thanks' to spareman for openly answering questions here.

The 46a is the best Dublin Bus service available. It is meant to run at a frequency of 10 buses / hour. The OP points out he waited 20 minutes for a bus. I have waited up to 40 minutes for this service.

I think the problems are as follows:
    Dwell time is too long: just one door when the buses could have three is crazy
    Tickets should all be prepaid from vending machines at stops. Vandalism is not a problem. Look at Fatima Luas stop. The driver should be driving not validating tickets and collecting fares.
    There are around twice as many bus stops as needed.
    Recess bus stops in from the road.

The idea that the customers should alert the garage when the service fails is topsy-turvy. The service provider should alert and apologise to the passengers when they fail to provide the service they are paid to provide.

Of course the garage has no idea if the service is running late as they haven't got it together to gather GPS fleet data.

I think these changes can be made without more govt money.

OTK wrote: »
    I just want to first say 'thanks' to spareman for openly answering questions here.

The 46a is the best Dublin Bus service available. It is meant to run at a frequency of 10 buses / hour. The OP points out he waited 20 minutes for a bus. I have waited up to 40 minutes for this service.

I think the problems are as follows:
    Dwell time is too long: just one door when the buses could have three is crazy
    Tickets should all be prepaid from vending machines at stops. Vandalism is not a problem. Look at Fatima Luas stop. The driver should be driving not validating tickets and collecting fares.
    There are around twice as many bus stops as needed.
    Recess bus stops in from the road.

The idea that the customers should alert the garage when the service fails is topsy-turvy. The service provider should alert and apologise to the passengers when they fail to provide the service they are paid to provide.

Of course the garage has no idea if the service is running late as they haven't got it together to gather GPS fleet data.

I think these changes can be made without more govt money.
    I agree with everything except that last part, How can we put vending macines at every stop, How can we alert custumer's in stillorgan that the bus leaving Dun Loaghaire is late without funding?
    The controller in the garage should know when there is gaps as he/she are in radio contact with buses, although there's really not much they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I think the whole QBC network needs attention, there are lots of things we could do to speed up the service

Never a truer word said!
    I believe from Booterstown ave out is DLRCC terriortory, Id imagine its up to them and Dublin Bus to sort it out.

I think the DCC website says (somewhere) that the QBN office in Wood Quay is responsible for all bus lanes in the four LA areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I agree with everything except that last part, How can we put vending macines at every stop, How can we alert custumer's in stillorgan that the bus leaving Dun Loaghaire is late without funding?
    You are right. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.

OTK wrote: »
    You are right. Don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.
    See that SICKCERT!!
    I got someone from boards to agree with me, Told ya they weren't all bad.:p

Advertisement