Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using www.three.ie broadband?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Anyone using this or know anybody that is. Does it live up to the claim of 3.6Mb/sec?

I haven't heard anything about it good bad or indifferent. Bro is looking for BB but doesn't have a landline and he wants to know what the best service provider in the South Side of Cork is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Your best bet would be to check out the Mobile and Broadband forums for answers. Three don't have a good reputation right now, and whether that's just teething problems or not remains to be seen, but they're going on a while now (i.e. since launch!). The 3.6Mb is the upper limit of what to expect and is very much dependent on contention / number of users in your cell using data. That applies to all mobile networks, regardless of Three's other service reliability problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I just got it yesterday, and it's painless to install, and seems to be working fine. €130 to get the modem, and €20 a month for a 10gig download limit. So far so good anyway, but it is only day 2. And you have a 14 day money back guarantee cooling off period.

Oh, and the 3.6mbps, bullcack. After a few speed tests from between yesterday afternoon to this morning, i'm getting between 850kbps to 1.5mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Cheers for the advice. I came across the other 3 thread. Not good reading at all. But this will be for someone that will not be doing heavy downloading so I'll keep reading and try to see which will be the best option for wireless BB in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

avoid like leprosy

get vodafone or o2........

or else you will be joining the 3 moguls here complaining......

• Advertisement

Anyone using Digiweb's Metro service in Cork and is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Not in Cork, but am a Metro user. Throughput to the US is pants (you'll rarely get your full pipe bandwidth to the US, unless it's the middle of the night and you have 10+ simultanous connections), the phone service is completely unreliable (in/out calls very often fail for no reason), and the promised voicemail still isn't implemented (making it a non-runner if you rely on the phone for business, for example).

The plus is that it's cheap, does give you a phone line if you do need it, is stable (only had 3 <5min downtimes and 1 >1hr downtime in almost a year (which was my eircom average for years before that.. eircom being the more reliable DSL provider). For light use, and if you're not dependent of the phone line, then it's definitely worth getting IMO, over DSL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

legs11 wrote: »
    avoid like leprosy

get vodafone or o2........

or else you will be joining the 3 moguls here complaining......

Legs, dear boy, forgive me, but I think '3 moguls' would be those who run 3 and I don't hear them doing much complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The problems with 3 aren't restricted to speed for users.

There are also problems using basic Internet services like pop and smtp servers so you can forget setting up an email account in Outlook or any other mail client.

On top of this, some websites just fail to load and others are blocked by 3 and unblocked later on with no warning such as rapidshare.

They don't mention any of that in their ad and I'd avoid them like the plague. Just read the last 10 pages of the sticky on them to find out why they are such a bad provider. All the above problems and they refuse to give people their money back or acknowledge problems, instead prefering to give people the run around.

They finally conceded to boards.ie users to give them refunds as boards users had organised and complained together to show that the problems weren't specific to one user and that it is a problem on 3's end so they could no longer ignore the issue.

Visit 3broadband.info for more details on why 3 are one of the worst providers in the country and may even be worse than Clearwire.

Looks like it will be Digiweb for the wireless so since it is (relatively) reliable and the price is good. Cheers for the advice. The bro is not the most tech savy anyway so I doubt he'll be doing a whole lot with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tiestio

i wonder is it that good since?i have it at the moment here in carlow,its pure crap,ive complained every week since but its still the same crap,my contract is up and i deffo wont be getting any broadband modems ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Everything in this thread is a year and a half out of date, and as such, useless. The thread you want is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

tiestio wrote: »
    i wonder is it that good since?i have it at the moment here in carlow,its pure crap,ive complained every week since but its still the same crap,my contract is up and i deffo wont be getting any broadband modems ever again

Please don't refer to them as "broadband modems" a better term would be "midband modems":-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some Digiweb Metro sites are better than others. My Metro wireless has mostly have phone good enough for fax/data. As to why voice mail hasn't materialised? I have no idea.

I'll be at 4 year mark in Nov.

MOBILE Data modems. Not Broadband Modems. The box for eircom DSL, UPC cable or Smart fibre is a Broadband Modem :)

Advertisement