Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1976 porsche 911/everyday car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

have come accross a 1975/76 carrera 3.0 in the uk.its a rhd coupe.
    it has no history to speak of,the seller is more than happy for any porsche expert to check it,it has no rust and looks in good condition.
    speedo reads about 89k.......
    guy is looking for about £10k.
    so costing me about 16k euro all in to get it home and on the road and a proper inspection done before i buy.
    is the car worth this type of cash?
    any idea of what it would be worth here?
    ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

kindalen wrote: »
    have come accross a 1975/76 carrera 3.0 in the uk.its a rhd coupe.
    it has no history to speak of,the seller is more than happy for any porsche expert to check it,it has no rust and looks in good condition.
    speedo reads about 89k.......
    guy is looking for about £10k.
    so costing me about 16k euro all in to get it home and on the road and a proper inspection done before i buy.
    is the car worth this type of cash?
    any idea of what it would be worth here?
    ta.

if it's a genuine 3.0 carrera that is indeed rustfree in good condition, and if it passes the scrutiny of a trustworthy and independent (!) Porsche expert, 10k sterling is excellent money. The 3.0 carrera will be increasing in value and a good example (and I mean a GOOD example!!!!) here on the continent is harder and harder to find with prices touching 25k!!!
    So my advice is to tread very carefully and make sure you check the chassis and engine numbers to make sure it actually HAS a 3.0 carrera in there an not just the badge!!! Get a good, independent Porsche mechanic to totally check out the car for you (WITH A COMPRESSION TEST!), because in my book 10k sterling is getting into the 'too good to be true' category for a 3.0 carrera!

thats great advice,thanks very much paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

OP - did you get the 911 in the end? if so how are you finding it as a daily runner?

I'm seriously tempted at bringing a late 70's on ein from the UK but I'm just that bit dubious about reliability.
    I'd be curious to know how u got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I dont think you will have any reliabilty issues but from what has been said already, if you have short commutes you may have durability issues since all that oil takes an awful long time to warm up thoroughly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

I run a '76 Carrera - was driving it to CityWest from Dun Laoire and back a couple of times a week with no problems - the ventilation isn't great for those rainy days but otherwise good...

no never got it...apparently central heating getting fixed and working is more important than me getting a 911....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

no never got it...apparently central heating getting fixed and working is more important than me getting a 911....

Summer is on the way, you don't need central heating. A 911 on teh other hand...!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

True, is always a shame when these supposedly petty necessities get n the way, I've been told that we could go to Disney for what I intend carrying out over the next couple of months.
    Still don't understand why a wife & kids would rather spend 7/8k on Disney rather than seeing my baby under go some needed attention. :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Im trying to get permission to buy a second one (i want to get a turbo), she says I can. but I have to sell the other one first. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 morrco

selling my <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@morrco, no pimping. Use www.adverts.ie instead if you have a car for sale

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Im trying to get permission to buy a second one (i want to get a turbo), she says I can. but I have to sell the other one first. :(

Not unreasonable. Respect for your missus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Not unreasonable. Respect for your missus :D

Indeed, my SO says if I sell both 968's I can have a 996.

Don't you just hate decisions-decisions??:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is a 996 better than 2 968s:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say no.

But you can only drive one car at a time, for me it would have to be a 911, ANY 911 !

You're probably right. In fairness, i've never even driven one, but there's just something about looking at the 996 that turns my stomach a little.

Anan1 wrote: »
    You're probably right. In fairness, i've never even driven one, but there's just something about looking at the 996 that turns my stomach a little.

.......yes I agree, but you cant see it when you're driving it !! :D

MercMad wrote: »
    .......yes I agree, but you cant see it when you're driving it !! :D
    Very true, but I can't get to one without seeing it.;)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Very true, but I can't get to one without seeing it.;)

...........I think you'd have to sneak up on it from the rear, eyes squinted, its less offensive that way ! :eek:

The 996 is my least favourite 911 from a looks point of view, but let's be honest. It is a great car, looking well.

And we all know the Porsche 911 has been a compromise to nostalgia from the late 70s until the 996 was introduced in '97

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Is a 996 better than 2 968s:confused:

well, according to the Porsche garage, from a reliability point of view - the 996 is far worse.... :(

And of course, I'd end up 2 cylinders less than Unkel - and that won't do.!!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The 996 is my least favourite 911 from a looks point of view, but let's be honest. It is a great car, looking well.

And we all know the Porsche 911 has been a compromise to nostalgia from the late 70s until the 996 was introduced in '97

..........yes but its the altered looks that are the issue, and obviously Porsche thought that too which is why the lastest 998 looks more like the 993 from the front. Also most of the current series have a valve in the exhaust which can be opened, making the engine sound more like the last of the water cooled versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What do people think of this 911?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/911/2.4-E/1025818/

It was E25,000 about 4 months ago.

most of the current series have a valve in the exhaust which can be opened, making the engine sound more like the last of the water cooled versions.

:o Porsche should be made aware that they really do not have to resort to this kinda detail to shift cars :o

Or at least they should not...
    most of the current series have a valve in the exhaust which can be opened, making the engine sound more like the last of the water cooled versions.

That's pathetic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What do people think of this 911?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/911/2.4-E/1025818/

It was E25,000 about 4 months ago.
    They might have got €25,000 if they'd painted it black instead of white!

I'd like to see the rubber and chrome strips on the bumpers too, but it seems a reasonable price and is still a nice car.

:That's pathetic
    oh no it's not.........been in one......all I can say is.....wow. And it's nice to be able to quieten it..........as you reach for the Solpadeine...:p

I wish I could do it on my RoadKing.........it's a head-wrecker.....:o

Ode To The Motorist

I'm with unkel on this, it is pretty sad. Why not just go the whole way and play an MP3 of a tuneful engine under acceleration?

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    it seems a reasonable price and is still a nice car.

+1

The new buyer must have agreed with us too :)

Advertisement