Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

2456712

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos


    Need this..

    I have just heard it from my friend, its amazing. It is called Yolana/Joana's eye. I have failed to find it on net.. Wondering is that the correct spelling? Sorry not much to go on. If I must I will get a recording..

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken


    By the way, that BBC Documentary-haven't seen it but the music is probably by Shostakovich. It usually is in those cases (he's really good!..check out his 5th symphony/8th string quartet).


    kevin?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran


    demac wrote:
    Hi all,
    I was lucky enough to be at the RWC in Australia. Prior to all the matches a piece of classical music was played jsut before the national anthems were sung.

    Does anyone know the name of this music ?

    I purchased the RWC 2003 Audio CD but the tune wasn't on it.

    Cheers.
    It's probably The World in Union you're talking about alright, which is originally from Jupiter, from the Planets suite by Gustav Holst.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Aviator55


    "Song of the Volga Boatmen" by Red Army Choir?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robertd


    Hi there,
    Would any of you out there be able to identify the backround music in the radio & tv adverts for EBS Building Society, previously posted but as yet unanswered.

    You can listen to a sample of the song here:

    http://www.geocities.com/mpc_team/ebs-ad.wma

    At first I thought it was a classical piece, but if you listen closely there seems to be a catchy bass which might suggest something like Adiemus. The female vocal part does sound operatic, though.

    All help much appreciated.

    Cheers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23


    Sorry robertd, i havent a clue, but I do have a question of my own.
    Does anybody know what classical song is at the start of Raging Bull.
    I think its a symphony, but not too sure, and if someone could tell me who composed it also.
    Thanks Roddy


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea


    The piece most associated with Raging Bull is the Intermezzo from Cavalaria Rusticana.
    Absolutely amazing and moving!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23


    Cheers, that has been a thorn in my side, couldn't never find out what it was.
    Thanks again


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly


    Does anyone know the name of the piano piece being played at the start of this Christian Bale movie, while he's doing a voiceover introducing himself as he goes through his daily ritual.

    It's possible it's from Les Miserables as there is a poster for the play in his bathroom.

    Thanks,
    Colm


  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭imalwayshappy


    Does anyone out there know the backround music to the EBS ad?? please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun


    Hey can anybody recommend me with a good Japanese classical composer? I'd like to listen to one that uses elements/ instrumentation of traditional japanese music in their pieces. Is Osaka a composer? I could be very wrong indeed though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99


    What's the music in this ad anyone?

    http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=3666

    I'm certainly no expert (I wouldn't be posting this if I was :) ) but it sounds like it's by one of those 19th century French lads, Offenbach, Gounod, Delibes maybe?


  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    pork99 wrote:
    What's the music in this ad anyone?

    http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=3666

    I'm certainly no expert (I wouldn't be posting this if I was :) ) but it sounds like it's by one of those 19th century French lads, Offenbach, Gounod, Delibes maybe?

    If you scroll down a little on your link you will see that the music is by Verdi


  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    This a strange one but does anyone know where I would get a copy of a WWII German Panza(?) troop singing "Erica". Mike Murphy (remember him?) used to play it a lot at 8 am on RTE 1 before the days of Morning Ireland (or some would have it, Boring Ireland) ??


  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo


    About half way through the add for Munich a song by John williams(I think) is played. I bought the soundtrack but its not on it.

    http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/munich/small.html

    Anybody know what it is?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99


    Vinnie69 wrote:
    If you scroll down a little on your link you will see that the music is by Verdi

    very good - I'm sure that info wasn't there last week! :o

    sounded like it was sung in French not Italian but as I said I'm no expert


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99


    pork99 wrote:
    very good - I'm sure that info wasn't there last week! :o

    sounded like it was sung in French not Italian but as I said I'm no expert

    Just had to find out what that piece was because like the piece used on the Volkswagen Jetta ad (which a bit of searching revealed to be "Songs without Words" (6) Op. 67 No.2 in F minor by Mendelssohn) they stand out like jewels in the sea of dreck which most of the music used in advertising is.

    But I find as I enter middle age two things happening*

    1) My political opinions move to the right

    2) I start listening to more classical music

    I wonder is there a link?


    * Apart from weight gain/hair loss etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    pork99 wrote:
    Just had to find out what that piece was because like the piece used on the Volkswagen Jetta ad (which a bit of searching revealed to be "Songs without Words" (6) Op. 67 No.2 in F minor by Mendelssohn) they stand out like jewels in the sea of dreck which most of the music used in advertising is.

    But I find as I enter middle age two things happening*

    1) My political opinions move to the right

    2) I start listening to more classical music

    I wonder is there a link?


    * Apart from weight gain/hair loss etc
    Don't worry about it, it happens to us all, our parents used to call it "growing up"
    Re 1 You have just realised that all political parties are the same,so you might well starting looking after yourself because when you get past middle age, no one will want to know you.
    re 2 you have starting listening to clasical music because you can no longer hear or remember those charming lyrics by that talentless young man emmin (or is that M & M):D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99


    Vinnie69 wrote:
    Don't worry about it, it happens to us all, our parents used to call it "growing up"
    Re 1 You have just realised that all political parties are the same,so you might well starting looking after yourself because when you get past middle age, no one will want to know you.
    re 2 you have starting listening to clasical music because you can no longer hear or remember those charming lyrics by that talentless young man emmin (or is that M & M):D

    Can't argue with that - you've hit the old nail on the head there (twice) :D

    As Armando Iannucci said a few years ago you get to that age where "Smash Hits" (even that's gone now!) looks like it's written in some bizarre foreign language...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M


    I am looking for the name of a piece that was used in a Christmas video. You can see it here: http://www.wonderlandchristmas.com/av/Wizards.wmv (4.8MB)
    I was told it is the Trans Siberian Orchestra... but I want to know the piece. I know it has a rock music theme going, but feel its still part of the classical ensemble!

    TIA,

    Seanie.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kieriam


    Hi Folks,
    anyone know what piece of music is used by the RTE for their World Cup coverage, is it Beethoven by any chance?

    Cheers, Kieran


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 styraco_utd


    kieriam wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    anyone know what piece of music is used by the RTE for their World Cup coverage, is it Beethoven by any chance?

    Cheers, Kieran

    Kieran, follwing enquirys to RTE, I have found out the name of the piece you (and me too) are looking for:

    The Pilgrims Chorus from Wagner's Opera Tannhouser

    The best way of getting this theme is through legal and law abiding methods. Well, maybe it isn't, and you're free to debate IP law etc., but advocating illegal activity can get you banned from here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69


    Kieran, follwing enquirys to RTE, I have found out the name of the piece you (and me too) are looking for:

    The Pilgrims Chorus from Wagner's Opera Tannhouser

    The best way of getting this theme is yadda yadda like the way I editted the last one.

    Better still, why don't you buy it on CD ! Naxos Classical label has it on their "Best of Opera Vol.1" along with Nessun dorma (the last World Cup's theme?) and a lot of other good familiar songs. It will only cost you about 8 euro and it is legal!:D


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly


    Only came across this thread and was about to ask ask for a name, but did a little hunting myself and found the answer, so I thought i'd share instead in case it comes up again.

    The piece features in the Chanel No.5 commercial with Nicole Kidman as well as the end scene in Ocean's 11. It is Clare de Lune by Debussy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto


    Heya!
    Did anyone here watch the BBC2 programme "Auchswitz"? It was on during their Holocaust Memorial series. Anyway there was a piece of classical music playing throughout the programme, violin and piano. It was amazingly good, so if anyne knows what it was, it would be VERY helpful if yu let me know!
    Thanks!

    Um. I know it's a bit late answering this one, but I belive the piece you're looking for was Gorecki's Synphony No.3 (Synphony of Sorrowful Songs). I think they repeated a part of the piece over and over, rather than that being the complete piece. It was very effective though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto


    Vinnie69 wrote:
    Better still, why don't you buy it on CD ! Naxos Classical label has it on their "Best of Opera Vol.1" along with Nessun dorma (the last World Cup's theme?) and a lot of other good familiar songs. It will only cost you about 8 euro and it is legal!:D

    Nessun Dorma was used as the BBC's theme for World Cup Italia '90. I don't think it was the official theme (that was some Italian pop song). I'll forever think of it as the official one though, because it should have been.:D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 duplicators


    Can anyone tell me the name of the piece and the perfromer for the current lyric FM TV advert


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin


    An aria called Casta Diva from Bellini's opera 'Norma'.

    I'd love to take credit for that and look super cool with my classical opera knowledge, but I just googled it. :o


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 duplicators


    Thanks a million


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Donie75


    Any idea who is singing in that Lyric FM ad? Lovely piece of musc...


Advertisement