Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chinese take away in Galway?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

So, where is the best Chinese take away in Galway?

I like the one in Oranmore that is upstairs. I can't remember its' name but it is quality. They don't use MSG. I live on the other side of the city so it's miles out of the way.

Canton Cottage in Salthill was the best for years but there seemed to be a change of ownership and a change of name to Canton Kitchen but it just went downhill.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The one in Spiddal personally. There's one in Cappagh Rd. that's good too.
    Only bad one I've been in was in Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently the one on Newcastle Rd. Across from Cookes bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I second that Biko, it's very quick, not dear by any stretch of the imagination, and decent enough chow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the ming garden do good take away (its a restaurant really thou), and suprisingly Chan's Take Away in Doughiska is very nice also.

the one that closed on eyre sq was great, the ivory tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Canton Cottage was the best for years, not i find the one on Mary Street, the Golden Rickshaw really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Canton Cottage was excellent :(
    The other one in Salthill beside where the Oslo used to be is good too.

For me without a shadow of a doubt is Royal Villa,its more a restaurant but you can get to takeaway.Everywhere else sells greasy sh1t in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The one on Cookes Corner is the Curry House. 091-589044. Very good, and very fast delivery.

May I recommend the chicken and mushroom soup, chilli ribs (order with no veg), spring rolls, and the crispy duck with water chestnuts...

They generally do a complimentary bottle of beer with orders over around €30 (Tsing tao - quite nice), but it's not a hard and fast rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Chinese in Kilcolgan, next to Mother Hubbards - savage food, worth the trip... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Personally I think the Best Curry in the world is in the Bamboo takeaway in Dominick street...but the rest of their food is terrible.

I think the best chinese is the China Inn across the road from it.
    They have amazing duck in plum sauce and Malaysian Satay mmmm
    too early for this talk i'm starvin now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My favourite is Chinatown, opposite UCHG on Newcastle Road.

However a recent price hike has turned me off eating in, I just get takeaway now (no change to takeaway prices)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I 2nd Chan's in Doughiska especially the starters platter.

Does the upstairs chinese in Oranmore do takeaway? cos I'm not that impressed with the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Personally I think the Best Curry in the world is in the Bamboo takeaway in Dominick street...but the rest of their food is terrible.

I think the best chinese is the China Inn across the road from it.
    They have amazing duck in plum sauce and Malaysian Satay mmmm
    too early for this talk i'm starvin now lol

Agree re Bamboo, their Chicken Curry is exceptional, rest of food is below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

MattKid wrote: »
    Does the upstairs chinese in Oranmore do takeaway? cos I'm not that impressed with the other one.

Yip. Get the Singapore Noodles.

Sluuuuuurrrrrrp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Slimkelly

The Golden Rickshaw is the best in galway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

There are three Chinese restaurants in Oranmore, two of which are upstairs.

There is the Yen, which is beside the bookies.

And Asian Fusion, which is hidden... inside the new complex before the turn into the Castle road.

Asian Fusion is run by the same people who used to own the Royal Villa on Shop Street, which (for those of you that remember) was the best damn Chinese food in Galway.

Thankfully, nothing has changed (except location)

Asian Fusion ftw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I've been going to Golden Rickshaw for years and never had a bad takeaway from there. And they give you loads of fresh veg in no matter what you order which I like (doesn't seem as unhealthy that way, less guilt!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

ambasite wrote: »
    Chinese in Kilcolgan, next to Mother Hubbards - savage food, worth the trip... ;)

Seconded :)
    Fletch123 wrote: »
    I've been going to Golden Rickshaw for years and never had a bad takeaway from there. And they give you loads of fresh veg in no matter what you order which I like (doesn't seem as unhealthy that way, less guilt!).

I used go there WAY too much years ago ... then I found it went downhill a bit in my eyes... but I might head back in at some stage haven't been in in probably 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

We always use the Chinese in Wellpark. Fastest delivery and the food is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Rickshaw, Rickshaw, Rickshaw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Where can 1 aquire galways finest prawn satay any1 no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have had take away from Chinatown twice in as many weeks and I wont be going back!! The fried rice was nice-ish but the rest was horrible.

I want to try this Golden Rickshaw place. Where is it? Do they deliver?

They deliver. They're on the top of that street up where LaSalsa and the HomePlate and the new Charcoal are, GPO. Beside the laundrette (I'm bad with street names).

You can also sit in. Not glamourous but it makes a nice change. They also do a lunch menu which is limited but slightly cheaper I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They deliver. They're on the top of that street up where LaSalsa and the HomePlate and the new Charcoal are, GPO. Beside the laundrette (I'm bad with street names).

You can also sit in. Not glamourous but it makes a nice change. They also do a lunch menu which is limited but slightly cheaper I think.

It's a good thing you didn't mention any street names because when people do I just get lost. But I know exactly where you're on about.

I really want to find a nice place because the place I used to work in was so good and I haven't managed to find anywhere as good in Galway.

Mary's street you mean :D

Thank you :D

Thank you :D

I'm from galway and I always say ... the street with easons :P (not quite that bad) .. but trying to tell someone where high street is ... its just easier saying the street outside freeneys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

map031.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

the Bamboo place on Dominick St is lovely and really cheap. They are fast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The Curry house at cookes corners once delivered €21 worth of food 9mins after I ordered it. Super fast delivery.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The Curry house at cookes corners once delivered €21 worth of food 9mins after I ordered it. Super fast delivery.

That's amazing. Even more amazing is the fact that you live in Oz. Did they email the meal to you?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement