Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any New Phones On Meteor for November?

Options
  • 01-11-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Any news on new phones for November? I'm really sick of waiting I've been due my upgrade since July! E65 showed up on Meteor website again today but was gone again this evening - what are they playing at???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Mate, I agree with you. Im fed up too. Due an upgrade and really need new phone. Tempted with Nokia 6300 or Samsung U600 but going to try and hold out for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I just know if I go and upgrade tomorrow they'll have new phones out a week later always bloody happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

tthe samsung U-600 is savage! its what i have! i love this phone, can honestly say the only problem i have with it is its slowness to take a picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Guy in Meteor customer care told me they will be launching their 3G network before the end of the year, maybe even this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sony W580i...

The Samsung/Ted Baker phones might be available on Meteor soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Meteor are really pi55ing me off now, gonna wait and see what o2 and three offer close to christmas, only reason im still with three is free calls to other meteor numbers, i loved meteor pre-eircell days, now the eircell-ness is creeping back in

I find them great, only trouble i've had is lack of decent phones. My bills are between €40-140 cheaper since moving to meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

eamon234 wrote: »
    Any news on new phones for November? I'm really sick of waiting I've been due my upgrade since July! E65 showed up on Meteor website again today but was gone again this evening - what are they playing at???
    One of the lads in the Meteor shop said the e65 failed testing and that it's gone in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Well o2 have the Sonyericsson k850i slated for release sometime soon and also the e65. The way the u600 is hyped in ireland is a bit of a joke, nice handset and all that but you can get it in the uk on prepay for £129, its not as exclusive as its made out to be by o2 and meteor. Sonyericsson w580i as mentioned earlier also deserves a mention but nobody seems to have it on meteor. Suffice to say o2 are making hay whilst the sun shines.
    o2 are still slinging around their 1000 mins and 1000 texts offer once you hop on the active life plans.

Three are set to start pushing the n-95 this month, as well as two new sonyericssons, the budget k530i and the cybershot k770i. The former supports X-series and the latter two have a skype application. They're saying free for prepay but its vague as to what happens if you get the handset on contract.

Nothing exciting from big red or meteor that i can see coming.

I got the w580i on meteor last week, nice phone...

• Advertisement

really? Where from. Alot of people can't seem to get em for love nor money!

carphonewarehouse, i believe they are in short supply...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Why is there a shortage of the SEW580i? Its not that great of a phone. Meteor better hurry up and get some decent phones in mine is on its last legs and due an upgrade.

I'm not sure what it is about the W580i but it just catches people! I'd put it down to the solid construction and the fact the sonyericsson deservedly have the best mobile music software on the market right now!

yeah i agree, i bought a k750(great phone) last year but now over a year later meteors "greatest" phone has same features as k750 in the form of a 580, for god sake meteor, stop allowing marketing people into the decision room and let some techies in

Exactly my point - I've got a K750i and theres nothing on the SE phones available on Meteor that's not on this phone already except for a few silly bells and whistles. They're selling the W580i, W810i, K550i and W610i - all the same features - what's the point??? Ok the W580 looks nice but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

I guess this is the silence before the storm. The operators will soon launch their Christmas line up.

But Meteor is a small operator, and not part of a large international group with lots of cloud with Nokia or SE. It will be more and more difficult for them to get a good supply of handsets. The manufacturers will first deliver to the large operators who buy in large quantities.

Well just listening to matt cooper the other day on radio and they were saying that meteor has 13% of the market in ireland, which is a good enough chunk as the irish market is so good. They were also saying that since ALL the operators with maybe exception of three are making the biggest "per user" profits in europe, which means theres loads of room for more undercutting or providing better carrotts in form of handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm due an upgrade too but was told by the people in the Meteor
    shop that the SE W580i will be available on upgrade in mid November
    but to ring in to check their stock as they expect it to sell fast!

saint_mel, are you sure you want that phone? as said earlier in post its old technology wrapped in shiny new shell, bad buy imo if you are gonna keep it for a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

tw0nk wrote: »
    saint_mel, are you sure you want that phone? as said earlier in post its old technology wrapped in shiny new shell, bad buy imo if you are gonna keep it for a year

Not sure at all :)
    I was going to get the Nokia 6300 but they said the battery life is very poor.
    They recommended the SE.

I'll probably hold on until Christmas and see what other new phones come in.
    Hopefully a decent Nokia with good battery.

Depends what you need. I've had loads of phones - smart phones, camera phones etc.

I just finished with a K800i & even though the W580i is a step back in terms of technology. I found that the camera on the k800i wasn't good enough to replace a compact & the W580i's 2mp will do me fine. Its also a bit faster than the k800 & a hell of a lot more pocketable. Basically most phones are the same these days - some have a few more megapixels and some have sharper screens etc. but theres not a whole lot between them.

I'm not compelled to get the latest and greatest anymore - I just want a nice functional phone with enough features to keep me amused. When the phones really get innovative I'll move on.

To be honest the w580 is quite similar to the k750 I had a couple of years ago, I still like it though. My only reserve is that the build quality is not as good as previous Sony E models, but its nowhere near as bad as a Nokia - I'll never get one again, they are the most horrible creaky phones - I would suggest avaioding any Nokia with a hing/slider/camera lense cover or any other mechanism. In fact I just wouldn't buy a nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

Well just listening to matt cooper the other day on radio and they were saying that meteor has 13% of the market in ireland, which is a good enough chunk as the irish market is so good. They were also saying that since ALL the operators with maybe exception of three are making the biggest "per user" profits in europe, which means theres loads of room for more undercutting or providing better carrotts in form of handsets.

I was trying to explain why I think Meteor has a more difficult task at hand to get new handsets fast and get a wide range of phones at the same price as operators with global scale such as Vodafone and O2.

Meteor has 800,000 customers or so which in the Irish market is a sizeable chunk. But in a European or global context this is really small. So if Meteor has to order handsets with let's say Nokia, who do you think gets a better deal or who gets a new handset first? Meteor with 800,000 customers or Vodafone with 150 million customers?

When a new handset goes into production everyone in the world wants it immediately but the the manufacturers can't produce millions of them instantly. That's where smaller operators often lose out.

What was matt cooper trying to say - that we get better deals on handsets because of the market being so good or that the networks could in theory provide better deals?

If it was the former then he was talking out of his posterior - Irish handset prices are absolutely attrocious on both prepay and contract in comparison to other countries, the closest comparison being the uk.

We also get fewer minutes and texts for the same amount of cash when converted, even when you allow for things like vat differences. Furthermore, proportionally I don't think the irish networks paid anything like the amounts the uk networks did for their 3g licenses.

Meteor are an intersting case because they are still reliant on quite alot of prepay customers who have a lower spend and there's lower guranteed income.

Regarding three, they've only themselves to blame for their current lack of subscribers. Theres potential greatness in the network if only they'd take on board dealer and customer feedback on services and getting their customer care sorted. I'd love to know how their figures stand at the moment

well firstly i disagree to a certain extent on what hiredgun has to say about getting handsets...

For example, the phone Im pining for (e65) has been available to business customers on meteor for quite a while, theres no problem getting phones and nokia as the biggest mobile phone company have no problem meeting demand except for times like christmas and even then its pretty good.

I do take the point that possibly the other companies get better prices seeing as they order more but if thats the case, then if meteor want to pass the cost on to the customer then fire ahead, its the buyers choice whether or not they want to buy the phone. Also meteor would know pretty quickly if the phone is a seller or not and then decide to keep the phone or replace it with a different model.

Heads up folks - NEW PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Website updated today E65 and N73 woohoo!

Wonder if this has anything to do with the rumoured arrival of the iPhone soon - Vodafone have updated their site too - some high end handsets going very cheap - probably trying to tie a few punters down to contracts to stop them switching if and when it arrives.

is iPhone definitely on o2 ireland this month? its on uk website but nothing on irish site

is iPhone definitely on o2 ireland this month? its on uk website but nothing on irish site

No but I've heard a rumour it may be available before Xmas

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

well firstly i disagree to a certain extent on what hiredgun has to say about getting handsets...

For example, the phone Im pining for (e65) has been available to business customers on meteor for quite a while, theres no problem getting phones and nokia as the biggest mobile phone company have no problem meeting demand except for times like christmas and even then its pretty good.

I do take the point that possibly the other companies get better prices seeing as they order more but if thats the case, then if meteor want to pass the cost on to the customer then fire ahead, its the buyers choice whether or not they want to buy the phone. Also meteor would know pretty quickly if the phone is a seller or not and then decide to keep the phone or replace it with a different model.

Just another thing to take into account- if a network have limited amounts of handsets available, they will give the good ones to the most valuable customers first- thats business, then contract, then prepay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

eamon234 wrote: »
    No but I've heard a rumour it may be available before Xmas

CPW are saying April for it now. We shall see I suppose.

Advertisement