Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Amnesty

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

tokyojoe wrote: »
    look people are throwing themselves off cliffs because they cant get out of debt or best scenario they become a burden on the health service cos they are depressed, so really to say to them when they are half way down the cliff ' you should have read the small print' is a bit gestapo - ish.

What are the stats on people throwing themselves off cliffs because of debt?

Negotiating with the bank and reducing your debt is a great thing.

Saying "Come on lets take the ****ers on!!!!" because you've no clue about how to manage money or how to manage credit cards is just stupid. Interest rates on Credit Cards are not fine print and they're not hidden. It takes all of 15 seconds to calculate the interest on something you buy. If you can't afford it then either look forward to paying it back over years or you can jump up and down and blame the banks.

Tip for the people saying it's fine print. Every credit card statement you get from the bank has the interest rate on it somewhere. If you can't find it there try their website. If you still can't find it ring or go into the bank and talk to a human. See if they try and hide the rate or if they just tell you as if they don't think it's a secret.

Banks are a business. Guess what their number one motivation is? To make money. If you know how to use a credit card you can make money. If you don't you end up giving the banks money. If you don't know how to use a credit card properly (i.e. how to use it without costing you anything except stamp duty) then cut it up and ring the bank asking them to cancel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I was in a similar situation. Not huge debt only about K. kept putting the minimum payment off it but alas the interest gains interest etc so the total i owed mounted up. I got sick of owing these b@stards every month so i did what most advisor's would recommend. CUT the fecker up them went to the bank, topped up my mortgage paid off the CC debt and my car load. over all i think my mortgage went up about $30 a month. I managed to get 2 decent holidays this year already and paid my college fees off for the year too.

to the OP don't go blaming the CC company, you had no problem mounting up the debt and buying what ever it was you bought and spending their money don't whine just coz they want payment. I'd suggest if you can't use a credit card responsibly you cancel it and start using the paper and metal stuff that way when you can't afford something you wont run up debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tokyojoe

etho - you are very hard. everyone ****s up now and again but cream always rises to the top ...... and the first one lickin it are the banks. You have got to know the bad times before you can really appreciate the good times but unfortunately today good times seem to be inherited not merited.Anyway I guess nobody on boards sees any merit whatsoever in some sort of credit card amnesty while at the same time its ok to let people off carrying guns and knives and give early releases to cop killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

everyone ****s up now and again .

They dont start whinging and blaming others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

etho - you are very hard.

Actually, no, i'm not hard. If I was a hard person, I wouldn't give a crap how someone came to be in debt. But I said I felt sorry for people who end up in debt for legitimate reasons.

Anyone else think this guy is just trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

eth0_ wrote: »
    Anyone else think this guy is just trolling?
    Without a shadow of a doubt, either that or they are just a complete ignoramus.
    Anyway I guess nobody on boards sees any merit whatsoever in some sort of credit card amnesty while at the same time its ok to let people off carrying guns and knives and give early releases to cop killers.
    Where's that cliff.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi ya,
    I think perhaps you should do one of two things,
    1 transfer all you lone /debit to a new credit card that offers a 0% for 6 months , .DOUBLE check the interst rate after the 6 months is no more then what you are paying now.
    2 Really go to MABS, money adivce and budget services.They can help you by acting on your behalf.They can get it so you only pay the interst and a bit of your loan.
    Then again their is a third option, could you try your credit union.
    Most credit cards charge you up to 16 % , a standard bank lone is 9% ish .
    There are options out there, you just have to look for them.
    Its not easy going to talk to a peson and saying I HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS, but...its a start.
    Dont worry, if you learn by this, then alls not lost.
    You should only live by what you have,.I trust your cards are in two by now??
    Please talk to MABS,
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jesus OP, go watch Fight Club or something and get it out of your system.

Anyone that builds up a long term unservicable debt on a f*cking credit card(s) deserves everything they get. The banks and card issuers are not without blame here but the bottom line comes back to the consumer.

Advertisement