Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEE-PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Pc World have it for essentially the same price. The overall chasis is quite big for the screen size...10" chassis with 8.9 or 9" screen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

2 inch screen bezel = do not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I'm looking at USA models and wondering - is there a switch to change from 110V to 220V at Asus or Acers from the states ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

no the psu does that automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

What would be the easiest way of installing Office 2007 on an EEE-PC without using an external disc drive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stev2604 wrote: »
    What would be the easiest way of installing Office 2007 on an EEE-PC without using an external disc drive?

Copying the entire contents of the install disk onto a memory key running setup from the memory key. Note: do a custom install- and install entire contents (default is install common features and less used features on first usage). S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Over a network from a computer with a optical drive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you can download a trial version from microsoft. If so that would be the best way.

Just a word of warning.
    If you're dual booting Ubuntu, don't just delete your Ubuntu partition if you want to uninstall it.
    Kthx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hey all, Anybody have any info on the budget asus netbook?'Gonna be $200 in the states..With 10" screen..Being released in 2009.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Where would be the cheapest(reliable) place to buy a 1000H?

The best I've found so far is €419 on Pixmania.

Its down to 363 euro at elara. Tempting early Christmas present for myself :) It was 378 a few days ago. Not sure if its dropping due to sterling weakening against euro or just naturally getting cheaper.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Its down to 363 euro at elara. Tempting early Christmas present for myself :) It was 378 a few days ago. Not sure if its dropping due to sterling weakening against euro or just naturally getting cheaper.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994667

It's the exchange rate...

Nice of you guys to give the customer a cut of the exchange benefits. Most sites just take whatever the price in stirling is and double it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Can the memory (ram) in the 901 be upgraded to 2 gig

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Its probably been talked about before but what do you think of this EEE pc?
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1593508#spec

ITs a EEE pc901,seems like good specs imo but I would like to know what people think of it,maybe a few here have it already,basically my dad wants to get a few of these mini laptops for his company for typing up word documents and excellent wireless to send documents back to him when they are out

rejkin wrote: »
    Its probably been talked about before but what do you think of this EEE pc?
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1593508#spec

ITs a EEE pc901,seems like good specs imo but I would like to know what people think of it,maybe a few here have it already,basically my dad wants to get a few of these mini laptops for his company for typing up word documents and excellent wireless to send documents back to him when they are out

If you're doing any amount of typing- and have normal sized fingers, you will really need to get an external keyboard, its quite uncomfortable typing on it (admittedly I have big fingers). It is a lovely netbook though. There are better out there for slightly more money if you look for them (for example the Samsung NC10- you'll find another thread in here about it).

For a little internet browsing- or even playing media files etc on the road- its brilliant. If you intend to do a lot of typing etc- get something bigger.....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you're doing any amount of typing- and have normal sized fingers, you will really need to get an external keyboard, its quite uncomfortable typing on it (admittedly I have big fingers). It is a lovely netbook though. There are better out there for slightly more money if you look for them (for example the Samsung NC10- you'll find another thread in here about it).

For a little internet browsing- or even playing media files etc on the road- its brilliant. If you intend to do a lot of typing etc- get something bigger.....

Yeah good point,that samsung laptop does look bigger and it has a much bigger hdd so ill tell him about that one,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

rejkin wrote: »
    Yeah good point,that samsung laptop does look bigger and it has a much bigger hdd so ill tell him about that one,thanks

They're totally different size machines, one's a 10.2" and ones an 8.9".

The PC90x series are about the size of a large paperback, the PC100x, NC10, N10J etc are all significantly bigger - approx 12" corner to corner including chassis.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hey all, Anybody have any info on the budget asus netbook?'Gonna be $200 in the states..With 10" screen..Being released in 2009.Thanks

Is that the 1002HA that you have in mind?

Link here

Looks nice- but pricey nonetheless.....

Actually found this instead- looks more like what you have in mind.

And here.

Anyone got any idea of specs?

The fact that its an OLPC/XO competitor is not necessarily saying very much- though at $200/£130 I don't think anyone will bitch too much.....

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just wondering- does anyone know of an Asus EEE pc stockist in the North- Newry/lisburn or belfast?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Any PC World/ Dixons/ Currys should have them in stock. There are probably cheaper alternatives online though.

img_1637.jpg

I'd be irresistibly tempted if they'd upped it from the N270 Atom. Right now it's just a 1000H with a touchscreen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Baza210 wrote: »
    I'd be irresistibly tempted if they'd upped it from the N270 Atom. Right now it's just a 1000H with a touchscreen..

Not too keen on the swivel screen, but touchscreen, yes please! Keyboard looks a bit like a ZX Spectrum though.

CHW wrote: »
    Not too keen on the swivel screen, but touchscreen, yes please! Keyboard looks a bit like a ZX Spectrum though.

Keyboard is of the same style as MacBooks, originally pioneered by Sony. You can get touchscreen kits for most netbooks, but I'd like a tablet. It doesn't auto-rotate right now, which is pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Update on my eee PC 1000 (40GB SSD model), if anyone's interested: switched back to Linux a month ago, but not the standard Xandros distro. I'm using Ubuntu, with the custom kernel & utilities from array.org that enable the WiFi, camera, etc. Standard GNOME, no attempt to slim it down to Xubuntu levels, though I might try that for fun some time.

The difference in performance compared to XP is massive, primarily because Ubuntu is not constantly thrashing the disk. Starts up in about 15 seconds, and the disk goes quiet. Log in takes < 5 seconds, after which the disk goes quiet again. I installed Ubuntu with no swapfile (best practice on SSD), and I have the "swapspace" daemon installed just in case it needs to create swap space on the fly, but I have been unable to fill up the 1GB RAM so far. I'm not going back to XP on this machine, ever again, and as for Vista..? Ha! :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Click Me
    Any one have one of these/or had experience with them, thinking of getting it..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Threads merged. Just to note, that's a crazy price for such an outdated netbook. What's your budget? and what do intend using this netbook for?

kerno wrote: »
    Click Me
    Any one have one of these/or had experience with them, thinking of getting it..

This was on sale in Currys Northern ireland for 156STG (approx EUR170 at current rates) this weekend - they had a Samsung DC 10 for STG 326 so really wouldn't go for it- both Argos, currys and PC world appear to be about to update their netbook offerings so waiting another few weeks to see what materialises- holding out for a good deal on an Asus 40GB hope that helps.

• Advertisement

New argos ROI and UK catalogue out- price ranges STG 265 - EUR350 for a 160 GB Asus with xp...

Advertisement