Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning Like Hell! Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Often seems to be arsonists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

A wild fire can start easily by a hot sun striking a glass bottle at the right angle, if the vegetation is dry enough. But I wouldn't rule out arson.
    Anyone have links to webcams over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The big fire near us has now been determined to be the result of arson. There is a $150,000 USD reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist. Schools, colleges, other public buildings, and many businesses have announced closing today through Monday due to the high risks associated with the uncontrolled fire and smoke inhalation. The other So Cal fires have not identified their causes yet. Although our flat is about 8 miles from the fire zone, both my flatmate and I have smoker's cough (and we are fit and don't smoke).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wooden houses. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Yeah - because when the fire is raging around a 'concrete built home' it'll know it's ass is kicked and it'll suddenly burn itself out...

The three little pigs was a fairytale janey..

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

becuase fires happen in areas that are hot and dry and have lots of wind.

fuel, weather and topography are the three things that effect a fire.

you just happen to have the right stuff in the right place, just like us here in australia.

another 3 weeks and i will be on the fire line on a regular basis.

in fact, we were offered a 6 week contract to go over and help fight those fires. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dry grasslands, parks, and forests too.

So Cal was largely grasslands, desert, and mountain forests before settlement and water was pumped in from the Colorado River hundreds of miles away. Remember the song lyrics? "It never rains in Southern California"? Well, that's partly true. And lately it's been very dry.

brick houses burn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Yeah - because when the fire is raging around a 'concrete built home' it'll know it's ass is kicked and it'll suddenly burn itself out...

That is all.

Dude, how is it that everyone else's posts have been taken as a joke and mine isn't! (Although now that you mention it would a wooden house not burn faster than a concrete one, thus causing the fire to spread faster??)

And ya, Irish WOLF, you would say that the three little pigs was a fairytale! You were the one trying to eat them! Confess! :p

in fact, we were offered a 6 week contract to go over and help fight those fires. :)
    I would imagine that there would be a lot of grateful college girls there to greet you and party with after. Most think firemen as HOT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Irish Wolf wrote: »

That is all.

lol! :D

That is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Southern California is on fire. The news reports over 2,000 homes have gone up in smoke. The ash outside our OC flat is so thick you would think that a volcano blew up nearby. And last night the full moon was so orange it looked like a pumpkin. So why is this happening? Comments?

OK, I'll venture a guess. I've actually died, my playful sins have caught up with me, and this is hell?

did you not hear? The worlds ending. firstly killing off the rich people.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    did you not hear? The worlds ending. firstly killing off the rich people.
    Oh grand! Then I'm on the bottom of the list being a starving foreign student.

I would imagine that there would be a lot of grateful college girls there to greet you and party with after. Most think firemen as HOT!

not as hot as standing on the back of a truck as you do 50kph over rugged terrain and there are spot fires starting on the other side of the fire line!

my wife would also disapprove :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Aww, i thought this was going to be an STD related thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I saw something on sky news earlier about the victims being given massages and fed fois gras and cous cous.
    I can't find anything about it on their website though.

The people of New Orleans are weeping silently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Remember the song lyrics? "It never rains in Southern California"? Well, that's partly true. And lately it's been very dry.
    Funny enough , i was humming that song while watching the fires rage on the news the other day ...

Today's LA Times news on So Cal fires (with pic links), including an increase in the reward to $250,000 USD to catch the firebug that started one of them.

Advertisement