Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specs Appeal

Options
  • 25-10-2007 3:36pm

Just wondering how many Boardsies wear glasses or contact lenses? Are there many that used to? Why don't you wear them anymore.............don't need them or Laser surgery or what?

Also, when i was of school-going age, I was very self conscious about wearing them. I know it's completely ridiculous, but when you're 15 these things can rule your life. Especially over the last maybe 10-15 years where the trend seems to be somewhat reversed.

Traditionally, people who wore glasses were stereotypically nerdy, ugly, and generally bit-part players in films etc. This has rightly changed to the extent where a lot of people, celebs included, wear clear-lensed glasses.

The only case where this "Specs-ism" still seems to ring true is in the case of the "nerd" type character. I've even seen films where the lead female role starts off as a dowdy, unfashionable, social outcast of a bookworm, who later blossoms and becomes the archetypical beautiful swan. These characters are usually just really good looking women with glasses, and you're watching scenes where she's being bullied/laughed at by blokes and you're thinking, "yeah right, she'd get shlaughtered in a second over here".

So, whaddya think?

Specky? 137 votes

Glasses
    0% 0 votes
    Contacts
    54% 74 votes
    Used to, but don't anymore
    11% 16 votes
    Never. 20/20 ftw.
    5% 7 votes
    Thank you for logging in, BossArky.
    29% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Ugly Betty you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I think glasses on girls is teh sex, dunno why always liked them.
    Perhaps it's my nerd fetish, who knows?

That said I probably need them but i'm too afraid to go get my eyes tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wear glasses, but I used to actually try wear them as little as possible. Now, I prefer wearing them all the time. Girls look good with glasses. My girlfriend even bought a pair of weak reading glasses, just to look good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

dont have glasses but am afraid that sittin at a computer all day(new job) is gonna ruin me!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I wear contacts cos I feel much better in myself without the glasses but I do wear the glasses or job interviews (unless its raining, I can't go in with steamed up glasses!) so I look more professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I first needed glasses when I was about 15... Never had any problems with wearing them...

I must get new frames though... I've had my current pair for about 2 years now and I don't think they suit my new hair cut.

And yes... girls with glasses are very sexy...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Have worn glasses for most of my life now. They used to bother me quite a lot and destroyed what little self-esteem i had... not so much anymore, last pair i bought i spent a little bit more than usual and got a nice pair too.

Funny thing is, i could exist without them if needs be, only mid to far away writing would be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've worn glasses since the age of 5 so I'm very accustomed to them.
    You got the 'specky four eyes' thing when you were younger but.. never really bothered me. I didn't care.
    I also had traintracks for 3 years (to add to the stereotypical picture).

I think the idea of Ugly Betty being that just because she wears glasses and has traintracks SO silly.
    Then as some people have said - it used to be uncool to have glasses as a kid years ago (yes i had Deirdre Barlow glasses :eek: ) but now it's cool...and people are getting them just to be 'cool'.

I don't have contacts because my left eye needs a hard contact (don't make em in the soft versions) and I've had bouts of dry eye the past few years so haven't been able to try getting them.
    Haven't had laser because A) expensive B) have you ever seen it being done? peeling layer off the top of your eye & then burning into it?? no thanks!! (altho I know someone who's had it done and they are fine) But it doesn't always last. C) I'm used to my glasses and don't have an issue so *shrug*

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And yes... girls with glasses are very sexy...
    they sure are , only started wearing reading glasss myself .Anybody suffer from eye strain for being on the pc to much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I have glasses but they make me feel self-conscious and when I'm talking to someone directly I feel like they're a barrier between me and the person....

I've only had them for about a year but I want contacts.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I wore glasses until I was bout 21 then changed to contacts
    I felt peoples attitudes to me was to assume about me the sterotypical profile from films and tv of a glasses wearer.
    1/ you must be intelligent
    2/ your a geek.

But I do think they look hot on wimmins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I started wearing glasses at the age of 12 when I started seeing double thanks to a lazy and very weak right eye. Was very self-conscious for a while, but that soon passed.

I wear them all my waking hours and am as blind as a bat without them. After 23 years of wearing them, I no longer am even aware that they are on my face. I feel more self-conscious without glasses (accidents happen) than with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I'm told i look more inteligent when wearing glasses, but alas my vision is in the top 5% of the population.

Could one obtain glasses with clear glass in the frames for shíts and giggles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You don't have an option for glasses and contacts so I ticked glasses becasue I wear them more. I've been wearing glasses since I was 9. I think i'm the unofficial most shortsighted boardsie :cool:
    I never got teased or called 4 eyes. i'll admit I'm a bit of a nerd but hey it never seemed to affect my man attracting abilities.... i just attracted fellow nerds... but that's the way i like 'em :D and indeed I married one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Glasses for me, but only for reading, tv etc. I lost them when I first moved here in Feb so haven't had any since. I've actually found my eyesight improving since I don't have to rely on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I've had glasses since I was about 5 so I've gotten used to them, but they can be a right pain in the ass at times.

I've got those stupid frameless ones and the screws are always coming loose on them which leads to them folding up into a V shape usually when you are in the middle of a conversation with someone.

I'd like to move to contacts some day but the idea of poking myself in the eye when I've just woken up doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've worn glasses everyday for the last 20 years or so. They've never really bothered me so I don't think I'll ever switch over to contact lenses. I really don't like the idea of putting something right on my eye which also means that laser surgery is out of the question.

I agree that ladies with glasses are often incredibly sexy and anytime my missus trys on my glasses she looks amazing. I must look into her getting a pair purely for a fashion reason.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I use contacts mostly, glasses annoy me

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Glasses but wear contacts for sport, theyre no good tho since my prescription is so strong ( -13 both eyes......beat that;)) I was told if i got laser my eyesight would still not be 20/20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

have had glasses for a few years but i don't really wear them. it's from over-use of the PC (*points to postcount*). my eyesight isn't that bad. in the right light i can see a whiteboard from the back of a lecture hall!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wear glasses. I've been wearing them for years. I used to just wear them when I needed them but now I wear them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

I wear glasses. I've been wearing them for years. I used to just wear them when I needed them but now I wear them all the time.

Same here. I can remember getting them for the first time and thinking "No way the world should look this sharp.... SWEET JESUS! I can see the individual leaves on those trees!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No glasses or contacts. 20/15 including superior night vision. But you rarely catch me about without my Ray Bans. :cool: Have to cover my X-ray eyes or I might burn holes in you or see through the first layer of clothing like one of those new airport security scanners.

*Once again a poll without the Atari Jaguar option. Surely one of the AH stickies says something about this? Anyone have a rubber ban to shoot the OP with?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

no glasses/contacts :D I see's you just fine :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I wear contacts and glasses occasionally. I'd wear the glasses more were it not for the fact that they make me look like a t**t. They are Chris Evans style ones and I thought they were cool at the time - how wrong I was. I'm gonna get a nice sensible pair probably this incoming month ust to have alongside the contacts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Have to cover my X-ray eyes or I might see through the first layer of clothing like one of those new airport security scanners.
    We don't mind! :cool:

OT: have worn glasses most of my life. My eyesight deteriorated rapidly between the ages of 4 and 12, and then gradually stopped going downhill ... which just goes to disprove the old wife's tale! >_>

Initially they were ugly thick things like the bottom of milk bottles, but the development of high density lenses now means I look like a normal person! :p

Actually, if I ever meet the person who invented them, s/he will be brought on the pish for the night at my expense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i've got **** vision but i don't wear anything, too expensive for glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

I look hot with my glasses :D although i wear it because of using the pc 12 hrs a day:mad:
    But glasses all the way, they have to be cool, top notch, sexy... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've worn glasses for about 7 years, the one frame all the time. In fact I have two of the same frame, so I dont have to readjust to new glasses each prescription change. My eyesight has gotten pregressively worse over the years - used to be slightly blurry blackboards, now things go blurry about 6-8" from my face.

Theyre annoying for jujitsu and swimming. I dont swim much any more because of them really, used to love swimming. I'd consider laser surgery, but tis pricey. I dont like the thought of putting contacts in or taking them out. Especially dont like the idea of falling asleep with them in and having them crust over. I'm prone to fall asleep at any sized gathering if im in a comfortable position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Invalid Poll

Advertisement