Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets - Post your helmets here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

inside!no liner but the alu liner band is still there!

the back!

next up i love this one! its m35 ground dug from a bunker in Russia in deniski(totally spelt wrong!!) its still got its double decals on it despite the rust and is sold!!love it!!!

the other naughty decal!! :rolleyes:

in side the lid!

• Advertisement

here a police/fire helmet!nice story to it! The helmet was picked up by a former First Sergeant in WW2 and was on a fence post near his camp. As the American soldiers drove by on trucks they would shoot at the helmet for target practice. He got tired of the noise and took it down off the fence and then decided to keep it as a souvenir! and i got it very cheap either way all good! i guess i should get better pics of it!!

next!

and last!

one of my m40s! this on was used by the dan's after the war and was painted black! BUT its got a great history! has 2 names on the rear skirt and has most of the decal on and was at one point white washed! nice lid at a good price! all good!!

other side!

• Advertisement

the inside with the names!

iv also got a lot of visors to! might start a thread on em!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Very nice - specially the FJ one. Post up the Panzer Visor too if you do a Visor thread :)

i just might do that! and she will be the 1st one out!!! all good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I picked this one up from a good friend of mine in Wales,he was thinning out his collection to fund a trip to Verdun,I normally wouldn't buy something like this but decided to take it off his hands.This one been a WW1 battle damaged German Stalhelm with two bullet entry and exit holes,maybe from a Lewis gun perhaps,it is a relic but in very good condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I picked this one up from a good friend of mine in Wales,he was thinning out his collection to fund a trip to Verdun,I normally wouldn't buy something like this but decided to take it off his hands.This one been a WW1 battle damaged German Stalhelm with two bullet entry and exit holes,maybe from a Lewis gun perhaps,it is a relic but in very good condition.

Snap!
    http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=degsyhelm2kz6.jpg

Degsy wrote: »

Cool - how much was that if you dont mind me asking ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Morlar wrote: »
    Cool - how much was that if you dont mind me asking ?

Nowt!
    It was a birthday present.It was dug up in france near troyes along with a load of other stuff(mostly french).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I hope those airholes werent acquired whilst the owner was wearing the stahlhelm or else he'd have had a very bad day!! :eek:

I must be doing something wrong,I can't see Degsy's helmet,damn you computer!:confused:

• Advertisement

sorry lads,finally opened that one up,nice find Degsy.What else was found with the helmet?

Picked this one up the other day from a seller in the States,an old Irish Air Corps helmet dated as a guess 40's, 50's or 60's maybe,I don't really know to be honest,when did the British Turtle helmet come into use here?.It's seen better days to be truthful,the interior of the helmet is covered in surface rust and the exterior has rust patches here and there,no chinstrap and the liner too is a sight for sore eyes but an interesting helmet all the same.

IrishAirCorpsHelmet002-1.jpg

IrishAirCorpsHelmet003-1.jpg

IrishAirCorpsHelmet007-1.jpg

Picked this one up the other day from a seller in the States,an old Irish Air Corps helmet dated as a guess 40's, 50's or 60's maybe,I don't really know to be honest,when did the British Turtle helmet come into use here?

I think the turtle helmet was introduced late 1930's.

I won a copy of this guy's (co-authored) book on another forum, the collection is very impressive, check this out ;

http://www.nyc-techwriters.com/militaria/helmets.htm

&

http://www.nyc-techwriters.com/militaria/irish_helmets.htm
    Irish MkII Steel Helmet

Following the start of WWII, or the "Emergency" as it was known in Ireland, the German-style M28 was replaced by British MkII helmets. These were stenciled with the zone of command.

This example features the "Eastern Command" insignia on the front of the helmet. The helmet is dated 1939.

Thanks Morlar for those links,really interesting collection of helmets there.I just had a look on Wiki and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_III_helmet ,it says the Turtle helmet came into use from 1944 onwards with the British Army so most likely the Irish Army would of started using these helmets a few years later as they upgraded,still I guess the Brodie helmet could of still been in use here for some years after WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

those helmets were isued in 1940 to replace the vickers German style helmet, which made our army look like Germans and confused the Allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks Morlar for those links,really interesting collection of helmets there.I just had a look on Wiki and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_III_helmet ,it says the Turtle helmet came into use from 1944 onwards with the British Army so most likely the Irish Army would of started using these helmets a few years later as they upgraded,still I guess the Brodie helmet could of still been in use here for some years after WW2.

The Turtle, or 'Victory' helmet came into use in 1944 alright by the British, Canadians etc. The Irish didnt get them until the 1950's I believe. The MKI brodie can still be seen worn in pictures from the 50's and 60's!! I work in the military museum we have a few brodies painted in the UN colors and other services (fire, ranger, warden etc) from the 50's/60's. Pictures of the first UN opperation in the Congo in 1960 will show Irish troops wearing the turtle helmets (as well as US style M1 helmets) along with antiquated M1940 bulls wool uniforms and P.37 webbing.

I have a 1939 dated brodie that has been rougly painted over with a grass green color and the eastern command applied. I've seen another for sale where the seller listed the item as having an 'unknown regimental badge', it was the insignia of the Southern Command.

The MkIII/Victory, is, in my opinion one of the ugliest helmets made, it looked utterly rediculous and no wonder the British offloaded all there onto us in the 50's/60's then, when we opened the museum the Curragh unloaded its stock onto us, only happen to get rid of the abominations I'd bet, we must have 100+ of them!!!

The Mark III sure is an ugly looking helmet alright.I have a couple myself,one to the police and one to the army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sj2000

anyone know about this 1939
    trying to upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eireneutral

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66930626@N06/6215089338/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66930626@N06/6214567437/in/photostream/

A nice pair of Irish air raid ww2 helmets the W represents Warden and the R is for Rescue, any one have any interest in them then let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66930626@N06/6215089338/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66930626@N06/6214567437/in/photostream/

A nice pair of Irish air raid ww2 helmets the W represents Warden and the R is for Rescue, any one have any interest in them then let me know

Hi Eireneutral. Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter first. If these items are for sale you may post free ads on www.adverts.ie. You can then contact one of the militaria moderators by private message and asked them to include your ad and item description in the "for sale" sticky on top of this forum. Thanks.

Advertisement