Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Im not expecting to feel anything for another month but this was weird! I get pulls and cramps every day when I do different things so have gotten used to them but this was new...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Felt a very odd little vibration earlier, I actually checked if my phone was in my hoody pocket...it was on the table. It was in from my hip bone, where the scan would suggest some feet are residing, could it be movement, or just yet another odd muscle I didn't know I had?? I'm just over 16 weeks, and am intrigued :)

I felt proper kicks from 16 weeks last time I was pregnant. It's early but not super early. If you are slim or have lost a lot of weight from being sick in the first trimester (like I did) then you are more likely to feel movement earlier too. So it could be a movement, easily,

Woshy wrote: »
    I felt proper kicks from 16 weeks last time I was pregnant. It's early but not super early. If you are slim or have lost a lot of weight from being sick in the first trimester (like I did) then you are more likely to feel movement earlier too. So it could be a movement, easily,

I'm relatively slim but always have the tiniest bit of a rounded belly no matter how thin I am (I'm a size 12, ans quite tall), so of all irritating places to have some extra weight right now is on my little round belly :p That's why I think I'm not showing at all either, because I always have that tiny round bit. It's slightly more obvious to me now when I can see the curve of my hip bones and muscles at either side and a little round in the middle, but to anyone else when I'm in clothes you wouldn't notice at all.

I think that vibration was kinda a one off for now, I have definitely had nothing like a flutter or a kick...other than the charming gas/indigestion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm relatively slim but always have the tiniest bit of a rounded belly no matter how thin I am (I'm a size 12, ans quite tall), so of all irritating places to have some extra weight right now is on my little round belly :p That's why I think I'm not showing at all either, because I always have that tiny round bit. It's slightly more obvious to me now when I can see the curve of my hip bones and muscles at either side and a little round in the middle, but to anyone else when I'm in clothes you wouldn't notice at all.

I think that vibration was kinda a one off for now, I have definitely had nothing like a flutter or a kick...other than the charming gas/indigestion :rolleyes:

You'll be getting kicks soon and then they'll be keeping you up all night!

I'm just 12 weeks and I can feel the odd flutter every now and then. That's very, very early to feel anything but this is my second baby and I've lost over 10% of my body weight in the last 6 weeks or so so there's no padding to cushion anything :

I've just had two nights of unbroken sleep which has been bliss, I was waking 2-3 times a night and just lying there wide awake for hours so this is lovely, I am happy to leave the sleepless nights being kicked to bits for quite a while! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Just wondering when during pregnancy did you visit the doctors? I have been for my first scan in the hospital and told I don't have to go back until 24 weeks, rang my doctors clinic today as I have only been in at the beginning to get the letter for the hospital. She told me I don't visit them until24 weeks. When I said my hospital appointment is for 24 weeks she said I don't need to visit them until after as there is no point going for both. My hospital only does the one scan which I had at 14 weeks and now I don't get seen anywhere for ten more weeks? Is this the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I saw my GP last weeks at 18 weeks. When I saw my consultant at 16 weeks she told me to make an appointment with my GP in 2 weeks time (18 weeks) & then two weeks after that (20 weeks) I'd have my anomaly scan, 2 weeks after that again (22 weeks) I'd get an appointment for my midwife.
    That's how it's gone for me thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Children In Need and pregnancy hormones don't mix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Children In Need and pregnancy hormones don't mix

It's an emotional roller coaster at the best of times! I invariably bawl through some of it while laughing at the funny bits. Any innocent bystander would think me highly unstable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just wondering when during pregnancy did you visit the doctors? I have been for my first scan in the hospital and told I don't have to go back until 24 weeks, rang my doctors clinic today as I have only been in at the beginning to get the letter for the hospital. She told me I don't visit them until24 weeks. When I said my hospital appointment is for 24 weeks she said I don't need to visit them until after as there is no point going for both. My hospital only does the one scan which I had at 14 weeks and now I don't get seen anywhere for ten more weeks? Is this the norm?

My GP does a checkup between 16-18 weeks. Then hospital at 20 weeks, doctor at 24, hospital at 28 and after 32 weeks, I'll see the doctor every week unless I have a hospital appointment. This is the standard combined care schedule that my gp/hospital do but I have had an extra few in between due to a recurrent uti. If I were you I would definitely push for a doctors checkup before 24 weeks, it's reassuring just to get your urine dipped, bp checked and to bring up any little concerns you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

I was the same. GP when I found out. 12 week scan, 21 week scan, then midwife clinic at 24 weeks. Since then its every fortnight between midwife and GP. It felt very strange though to go so long with no appointments. There's so much information in the pregnancy apps though and from others in the pregnancy yoga class I've been going to that I never really felt worried about anything so didn't make any extra appointments.

I had a very odd experience yesterday - an old traveller lady came into my work, and straightaway said to me that I'd have a very healthy pregnancy and baby and did I want to know whether I'm having a girl or a boy... I've never seen her before, I'm not showing at all yet and all I had said to her was "hi"! It was so bizarre

did I want to know whether I'm having a girl or a boy...

Did you find out???? :D:D

Did you find out???? :D:D

Haha no I sort of stumbled over my words and said something along the lines of umm thanks errr no surprise eh ok thanks!

Haha no I sort of stumbled over my words and said something along the lines of umm thanks errr no surprise eh ok thanks!

If you're not showing yet I would've said I wasn't pregnant just to see what she said back :D

I take back everything I've been saying about it being great not showing yet and hoping it continues. Turns out everything is rapidly running out of space inside my poor abdominal cavity, my muscles are rock hard, bloating is killing me, and it's like I'm wearing a corset or something when I'm trying to sleep, it's all so bound up and tight feeling. Oh to have more space in there, like an external bump shaped space!! 17 weeks and not a bit of expansion in sight, that seemed great a few days ago :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If anyone wants to feel less crazy, go visit some other parenting sites which will remain nameless. One woman is terribly upset because a stranger thousands of miles away has 'stolen' her unborn baby's name. Er, don't post it up then love! I love how normal you all are :)

Dolbert wrote: »
    If anyone wants to feel less crazy, go visit some other parenting sites which will remain nameless. One woman is terribly upset because a stranger thousands of miles away has 'stolen' her unborn baby's name. Er, don't post it up then love! I love how normal you all are :)

Dolbert that is so weird, I was just about to come here to ask if anyone looks at American pregnancy websites, they are brilliant. A lot of them seem to just make up names, and they all have very specific fb announcement plans, some announcing on fb as early as 3 (yes 3) to 6 weeks pregnant. It's crazy. And as for the baby showers drama and "is it safe to photocopy when pregnant? " style questions, it's endlessly entertaining :)

I'm having my first day of proper pregnancy first world problems. I feel fine, still look exactly the same (much to family and friends annoyance apparently!), it's too early to feel movement, I need something to change or happen, this bit is dull and drawn out...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Dolbert that is so weird, I was just about to come here to ask if anyone looks at American pregnancy websites, they are brilliant. A lot of them seem to just make up names, and they all have very specific fb announcement plans, some announcing on fb as early as 3 (yes 3) to 6 weeks pregnant. It's crazy. And as for the baby showers drama and "is it safe to photocopy when pregnant? " style questions, it's endlessly entertaining :)

I'm having my first day of proper pregnancy first world problems. I feel fine, still look exactly the same (much to family and friends annoyance apparently!), it's too early to feel movement, I need something to change or happen, this bit is dull and drawn out...!

They are all mental. I have here and one subforum on reddit. Everything else I've read has a pretty substantial lunatic group of posters. Judgemental, crazy, hormonal you name it!

On my own rant at 30 (almost 31) weeks I'm getting pissed with people telling me either
    a) I don't look pregnant (thanks?! I guess I look fat then)

or

b) I'm glowing (no I'm not??! I have black bags under my eyes from rhinitis and I'm red because I'm sweating)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is it mean to be getting fed up with "How are you today" texts. Like literally just "How are you today?". Only so many times you can say "Fine thanks" without feeling rude.

Whispered wrote: »
    Is it mean to be getting fed up with "How are you today" texts. Like literally just "How are you today?". Only so many times you can say "Fine thanks" without feeling rude.

I don't think so. I've had two bleeds in the last few weeks and I've had everyone texting me daily. Its calmed down again now thank god. I don't mind my husband texting, like he's the one who would be running me to hospital again but I can't hack having to reply to everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh yeah my husband texting is great, and I appreciate texts that start a conversation too. But the open ended "how are you", silly as it sounds, puts pressure on me to find something to talk about. I'm absolutely fine, but replying with that feels like I'm being short with people so I end up sitting here racking my brain for something else to say. Specific questions about baby or better still a text which is not baby related are always appreciated. I sound so ungrateful! :o

Glad your texters have calmed down and everything is going well!

Those are awkward alright. When I'm busy they literally get a "grand" and I forget about it :) I may be a bit mean though! All good now, maternity leave started so relaxing a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I need to know the names of these sites to have a laugh

My mini rant for the day is being compared, my sil is due the same day, so everything is being compared by the families,buggy, birth plan,everything
    The comments about appearance really grind my gears tho, she's a big girl so her shape hasn't changed, I look like ive a beach ball up my top type bump, and I get the oh Ur massive, big as a house comments.

Just wondering how you all decided when to finish up work? Do most people stop working 2 weeks before? How are we supposed to know how we'll feel??

I'm no good to you on that because I'm self employed but I think most people try to work as long as possible to have more time off afterwards, so most work up the 38 weeks, even if the last few weeks are a (bearable) struggle. There's no way of knowing how you'll feel, many just struggle on for the last few weeks, but then there are others who go at 38 weeks and are bored stiff doing nothing for 2-4 weeks! Some women begin maternity leave earlier then if their doctor decides they need to be signed off if continuing is too much.

Haven't you just started a new job? I suppose you'd want to be working as long as possible with them when you're so new.

Some women begin maternity leave earlier then if their doctor decides they need to be signed off if continuing is too much.

Your employer cannot force you to take your maternity leave early due to illness/inability to continue and most doctors would recommend taking sick leave instead. Of course, this would depend on whether your employer pays you while out sick and if not, whether you can afford to be off. With my first pregnancy, I had my maternity leave booked for a month before my due date. I worked up until 8 months which was a bit silly of me because I was crippled with my back. In the end, it was high blood pressure that I got signed off for. I have been signed off sick for the whole of this pregnancy.

Sorry that was what I meant, being signed off sick beforehand if required. I didn't say anything about an employerforcing someone, I said/meant if the woman or her doctor felt it was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Depends on what line of work you do too? I work in retail, and it's crippling me now, so I'll be taking some holidays and having a chat with my doc next week

Sorry that was what I meant, being signed off sick beforehand if required. I didn't say anything about an employerforcing someone, I said/meant if the woman or her doctor felt it was necessary.

Sorry spotty I didn't mean to sound like I was giving out to you :o I was just pointing it out because I had terrible trouble with my (ex) local manager with stuff like this during my last pregnancy and also there was a thread in the work forum recently where a sick pregnant woman was told by her employer that she would have to take her mat leave early instead of sick leave. I was asking my occupational nurse at work and she was telling me that unfortunately, she experiences women with these kind of problems regularly :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just wondering how you all decided when to finish up work? Do most people stop working 2 weeks before? How are we supposed to know how we'll feel??

You dont need to book it with them until you are much further along. I think the minimum you need to give is 4 weeks notice, so theoretically you dont need to decide your date until 4 weeks before you intend to leave, though to maintain good relations you could give them more.

I left at 38 weeks, but then, my pregnancy was an easy one, and I'd no back pain or complications by then, plus my job isnt physically demanding - its office and desk based. I discussed my leaving date informally with them so we could schedule projects / train up other staff, and confirmed it in writing about 6 weeks before I left.

Advertisement