Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway driving

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

As someone who travels both the M1 and M50 twice a day at least, might I give ye my 10c worth.

Firstly the vast majority of drivers do not obey speed limits in Ireland, point in case being the new entry road onto the M1 from airside, this road has a limit of 60k, agree or disagree it's the law but 99% of drivers do not hold to this.

Next when you are on the M1 and approach the Airport exit the limit drops to 80k and rightly so imo because you have traffic merging from the airport and also trying to leave and join the M50, lets be honest here how many of ye hold to this 80k.

I saw one of the worst cases of driving ever here, car in the left lane obeying the limit (one of the few) was being pressured by white van driver to speed up, having no success he moves right where every car and I mean every car is exceeding 80k. White van is then incapable of passing car (heavy load maybe) and he inturn is flashed and pressurised by drivers to move left, ego hurt he jecks left narrowly avoiding the law abiding motorist causing them to break hard. All because some idiot didn't agree with anothers adherence to the speed limit.

Next the 120k limit or should we say the 120k target on motorways because from what I have read here most people seem to spend their journeys with one eye on their speedos, again lets be honest here 120 is deemed to be a safe speed at which to be traveling at in perfect driving conditions and how often do we get that in ireland. It always amazes me at the amount of idiots still doing this speed and quite often above it in rain and mist etc.

Hands up who obeys the temporary 60k limit on the M50, well, so lets get real and all look at our own driving before blaming others, speeding kills plain and simple (I see the results of this in my work :() not lane hogging and before the usual retort of motorways are safer than other roads is expressed, there are a greater number of accidents then normal on the M50, M1 interchanges just check the number of skid marks (safely) on the roads along here the next time you use them.

So instead of flashing or driving on the bumper of some one hogging the right lane just relax, I know this may be hard but do try. Please also when you see a 50 or 60k limit it's there for a reason usually because it's a residential area which means children are liable to be around, enough said hopefully.

I know I may have gone off topic but in my experience people who drive badly and speeding is bad driving also drive badly on secondary and minor roads. Limits are not money earners and those who preach otherwise are not at all concerned with road safety, there in place to save lives.

The funny thing is that most journeys take less than half an hour in Dublin (I'm talking off peak) so we don't really make up a huge amount of time by getting there faster by speeding do we :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I hate when people move into the fast lane and drive slower than people in the slow lane - does me head in. then people start overtking on the left and that annoys me just as much.

I drive galway to dublin quite a bit mainly at weekends and the fast lane generally moves at 130-140 kph and higher and the slower lane generally moves from 120-130 kph. It is rare someone sits on 12o kph.

I have never seen guards on it. The 100kph national road after the motorway geneally moves at 120 kph. dont see why it cant be made a motorway as it looks like one and would be perrfectly safe for 120 kph.

I know lots of L drivers that drive on the motorwy also. They just take off their L plates . Only know one person that ever obeyed that rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

microgirl wrote: »
    if distane between cars is sufficient that I can be in said
    lane for more than 30 seconds, then I drive in the left hand lane :)

/shakes head. Oh dear.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

/shakes head. Oh dear.....

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bear in mind that your speedos version of 80 or 100 k may be different to someone elses...they arent very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Stark wrote: »
    ?

I presume you're not defending someone driving in the overtaking lane for 30 seconds whilst not actually overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jenna558

transylman wrote: »
    What is the acceptable way for dealing with overtaking lane hoggers. I know the usual thing is to give them some flashes of your headlights but would it be alright to give them a few blasts with your horn as well?
    Personally, if people use the horn for anything other than alerting to danger or maybe getting someone to move if they're at a green light for over 10 seconds, I find this really annoying as it stresses me. When I hear a horn near me, I usually feel like 'Is it me that is being beeped at?' although it rarely is. Honestly, if it is something as harmless (albeit maybe annoying) as a fast lane hogger, please just undertake them if light flashing does not work. It's much less stressful for those around. I'm not a fast lane hogger (or tailgater) by the way!

Advertisement