Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where was BOD/ROG/D'arce et al last night???

Options
  • 06-10-2007 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I don't mean to be picky, but why weren't the Irish squad players back in their respective teams last night? As a Leinster fan, I know we could have used a few experienced heads in the second half (no shortage of talent, but some dreadful play after the break).
    Now, I'd like to know, given that the Irish players would have expected to be playing tonight AND are certainly in peak condition, weren't playing for the teams that pay their wages? I certainly don't think they need a break after the paltry display they put in over the last few matches.

/Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

Give them a break! Don't you think they need a bit of time off?! They're probably wrecked both mentally and physically, plus with the way they were playing during the world cup I'd say they need a bit of time to get back into the game...

I also think it's a good chance for the players that don't normally get a chance to play to stretch their legs. The Irish team of the future badly needs fresh talent and how are we supposed to develop that talent if the new guys don't ever get a chance to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Eh, the Irish provinces do not pay the international's wages.

They need a break, regardless of how piss-poor they were at the WC. Sheahan and Quinlan played the second half for Munster. It will be a couple of weeks before the Irish first teamer's feature in the ML. They have been sent off to think about what they've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

bugler wrote:
    Eh, the Irish provinces do not pay the international's wages.
    They are paid by the IRFU because they play for Leinster/Munster/etc, are they not? Does Geordan Murphy get paid twice? He'll be playing this weekend too, I might point out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

While the Irish continued to suck in the ML this week. I saw a variety of positives.

Jamie Heaslip
    Shane Jennings
    Leo Cullen
    Alan Qunilan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Het-Field wrote:
    While the Irish continued to suck in the ML this week. I saw a variety of positives.

Jamie Heaslip
    Shane Jennings
    Leo Cullen
    Alan Qunilan

Jennings, Really? Getting yellow carded for dissent is pretty poor for a rugby player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    i saw girvan at the game. he actually spent a long time signing autographs and having pictures taken with kids after the match.

Agreed with the lack of respect thing tho. Even if you are not playing you should be there to support your fellow team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

RuggieBear wrote:
    Jennings, Really? Getting yellow carded for dissent is pretty poor for a rugby player.

In fairness the ref was Welsh, Jennings probably said something about wool giving him beard rash and that he didn't like pot noodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

daveirl wrote:
    Now you've said it exactly. The boys are sunning themselves on a beach somewhere, while their teams languish. It's not just Ireland that matters - life goes on.
    Sometimes I think the IRFU can be very insulting to fans who genuinely support their province; as if every provincial game is there just to give the lads something to do between Ireland matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sally Cinnamon

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

• Advertisement

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    try again:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

provinces are a joke and give Ireland unfair advantage.

clubs should enter Celtic League and Heineken Cup e.g. Blackrock, Wanderers, Terenure etc. Just like other countries do - like Sale, Perpignon, Toulouse, Leicester, Bath etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Geordan Murphy's turned out for Leicester this eve, know he hasn't had the most active WC campaign, but I reckon the best tonic after being involved in a shambles like the Irish campaign, would be get back in the saddle for province/club, playing the bread and butter stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

toomevara wrote:
    Geordan Murphy's turned out for Leicester this eve...
    The 3 Murphys are playing tonight, Johne, Geordan and Frank - for those interested in Irish players abroad.

daveirl wrote:

English Premiership features the same clubs who partake in HEC.

Our AIL doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Our AIL doesn't.

In fairness, there's no comparison between English premiership club and AIL divison 1 clubs !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Our AIL doesn't.

And? What daveirl said was that if you brought it down to club level that all the Irish players would be concentrated among a few clubs, disenfranchising a lot of supporters.

Unless you'd seriously want an AIL team with 2/3 internationals trying to compete in the HC and shipping 60 points a game.

provinces are a joke and give Ireland unfair advantage.

clubs should enter Celtic League and Heineken Cup e.g. Blackrock, Wanderers, Terenure etc. Just like other countries do - like Sale, Perpignon, Toulouse, Leicester, Bath etc
    lol

that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

daveirl wrote:

Good point.

According to ROG on gift grub, he's going to spend 6 months under a duvet :D due to being mortified with the shame of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

davyjose wrote:
    I don't mean to be picky, but why weren't the Irish squad players back in their respective teams last night? As a Leinster fan, I know we could have used a few experienced heads in the second half (no shortage of talent, but some dreadful play after the break).
    Now, I'd like to know, given that the Irish players would have expected to be playing tonight AND are certainly in peak condition, weren't playing for the teams that pay their wages? I certainly don't think they need a break after the paltry display they put in over the last few matches.

/Rant over

your obviously a clown,what do you think they have been doing for the last 3 months,tanning thmselves!

dc69 wrote:
    your obviously a clown,what do you think they have been doing for the last 3 months,tanning thmselves!
    no more personal abuse or you will be banned. Only warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Finner wrote:
    Give them a break! Don't you think they need a bit of time off?! They're probably wrecked both mentally and physically, plus with the way they were playing during the world cup I'd say they need a bit of time to get back into the game...

What, give them a break???
    According to EOS one of the reasons for their non performance in the WC was that they havent had enough game time in the last few months. They wont get back into the game sitting on their arses. All squad members should have been available for their provinces and maybe they will be back match sharp by time the H Cup pool games start.

Sandwich wrote:
    What, give them a break???
    According to EOS one of the reasons for their non performance in the WC was that they havent had enough game time in the last few months. They wont get back into the game sitting on their arses. All squad members should have been available for their provinces and maybe they will be back match sharp by time the H Cup pool games start.
    well EOS would say that woudn't he! :D

They need a break from rugby. they have been overtrained.

problem is the H cup starts very bloody soon....

daveirl wrote:

You're from Cork - do you not support Cork Constitution?
    They're in Division 1 of the AIL for 2007-2008.

If the top Irish clubs entered the HEC instead of the provinces then it is likely that they would be there.

You're from Cork - do you not support Cork Constitution?
    So dolphin, UCC, Highfield, Ballincolig, Clonakilty, Skiberreen, midleton (to name but a few) aren't worthy of support....?

RuggieBear wrote:
    So dolphin, UCC, Highfield, Ballincolig, Clonakilty, Skiberreen, midleton (to name but a few) aren't worthy of support....?

Of course they are worthy of support.

I used Cork Constitution as an example because they would be the most likely to qualify at the present moment.

The parameters would the same for the other countries. Not all the English Premiership teams qualify either.

• Advertisement

Advertisement