Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been truly terrified?

Options
  • 06-10-2007 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

What i mean is have you ever been so scared where you can't move, your legs are shaking and you just about literally sh*t yourself. Genuinely terrified.

Me, I don't think i have fortunately. Most scared i can remember being was at work one day standing next to the teleporter when the biggest rottweiler i had ever seen (owner of the houses dog) came out from the other side and just looked at me, ran at me then and just jumped up on me.. Didn't bite or attack me but when he ran at me i was shaking like a vibrator..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

hahaha shaking like a vibrator

once when i was younger i thought, for a split second, that there was a huge guy standing behind my bedroom door. There were clothes hung on the back of the door and the light was off, so it looked like there was a huge man standing over me. i was shaking like a vibrator on top of a washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

[insert story]

I was shaking like a vibrator on top of a washing machine during an eathquake.

did the last bit first.... I'll think of something... :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was in sixth class and I was jumping down stairs for some odd reason that escapes me now. I did a couple of times no bother but then I jumped so high that I hit my head off the roof and then bounced my head off the bottom step.

I think I blacked out for a few seconds but when I came to one of my friends asked me if I was all right and when I opened my mouth to talk nothing came out. I nearly shit myself, I thought I had brain damage. Then I rubbed the back of my head and seen all the blood. :eek:

I was once in a room in a tall building reading an engineers report that stated that the building was unlikely to survive a major earthquake.......when the lights went out and the building started to shake! dust falling from the cracks in the ceiling etc, watching a "power fail" warning light (that's fixed to the wall) swing from side to side. :eek:

That was a bit scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I literally sh*t myself a few times, never cause i was scared, normally cause i was drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The-Rigger wrote:
    [insert story]

This is going to go on and on isn't it :D

Then I rubbed the back of my head and seen all the blood. :eek:

Banged me head on a car boot lid a few months ago, didn't think much about it, well apart from fúcking the car out of it! Later that evening had a shower, it was like the shower scene from psycho, blood everywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Senna wrote:
    I literally sh*t myself a few times, never cause i was scared, normally cause i was drunk.

Thanks for that,does it feel good now you have talked about it with the group...?

The-Rigger wrote:
    [insert story]

While the builders are "jack-hammering" the floor ;)

PS is the washing machine on!:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Banged me head on a car boot lid a few months ago, didn't think much about it, well apart from fúcking the car out of it! Later that evening had a shower, it was like the shower scene from psycho, blood everywhere.

At least you got to wash the blood out of your hair. I had to get stiches and wasn't allowed wash my hair. Walking around for a bloody week (pun intended) with dried blood in my hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I once lost control of my buoyancy on a training scuba dive in Killary harbour and plummeted 40 metres below the surface (15-20 metres was the limit for training with CFT), into pitch black, freezing water, where I promptly panicked and forgot how to do anything except signal that I was cold and couldn't breathe. If not for the dive leader managing to find me and throw away my weight belt, I would have died. That was easily the most frightening thing I have ever experienced. Although getting to the compression chamber in UCHG from the arse-end of Mayo in 20 minutes by car runs a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Bad trip......nasty piece of sh!t

Sarky wrote:
    I once lost control of my buoyancy on a training scuba dive in Killary harbour and plummeted 40 metres below the surface (15-20 metres was the limit for training with CFT), into pitch black, freezing water, where I promptly panicked and forgot how to do anything except signal that I was cold and couldn't breathe. If not for the dive leader managing to find me and throw away my weight belt, I would have died. That was easily the most frightening thing I have ever experienced. Although getting to the compression chamber in UCHG from the arse-end of Mayo in 20 minutes by car runs a close second.

Now that sounds like something to be terrified about.Did it take you long to get over that...?did you ever dive again..?

Sarky wrote:

What does this bit mean..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

When i was in 6th year, we went on a trip overnight to glendalough. A few of us decided around 2am to go for a walk around, as we were walking though the old graveyard by the roundtower (with only 1 light on a mobile between 4 of us) we heard some guy talking about how he was going to kill us and watch out.

God i thought that was me done there and then. It was pitchdark and in the middle of nowhere tbh, after about 15 minutes of being chased around our teacher emerges with a flash lamp from behind a grave....

Some laugh looking back on it now, we were all running as fast as we could throught he grave yard and a guy that was with us fell an went tumbling on the ground. He was screaming after the rest of us, almost crying shouting for help and we kept running....some bunch we were haha

A compression chamber is a procedure divers go to when they come up to fast,its a process to stop the blood getting clotted.I am not expert but thats the jest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I'm too :o to mention it.

baraca wrote:
    What does this bit mean..?

here you go!

I was once in a room in a tall building reading an engineers report that stated that the building was unlikely to survive a major earthquake.......when the lights went out and the building started to shake! dust falling from the cracks in the ceiling etc, watching a "power fail" warning light (that's fixed to the wall) swing from side to side. :eek:

That was a bit scary.
    They really need to knock those projects buildings in Athlone.

Thanks to you and dub13 for clearing that up.. DCS sounds fairly nasty

• Advertisement

They really need to knock those projects buildings in Athlone.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

When I went skydiving. I was fine on the way up and when the people in front of me jumped out. Then it came to be my turn. As I moved forward my eyes were glued to the door, as I moved forward the ground just seemed to sweep away from me as I stood on the edge with nothing but sky below me. I was terrified.

I jumped.

When my body started to register the acceleration I was still scared but not as much, once I reached terminal velocity it felt like I was floating and it was so cool. A great experience I recommend anyone to do it.

One thing though, as it was my first time to jump I paid to have a video made of the event. The video itself is great, I still watch it. One thing that is embarrassing though is that just before I jump in the video the cameraman gets a real close-up of my face, look of terror and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

When i was attached by my uncles alsation when i was four years old, i could see he coming for me, ran and was pushed into a big pile of nettles, absolutely petrified of alsations/German Shepherd dogs ever since. If i see one on the street i just freeze.

When i was in a head on collision last year as a passenger, i could see everything in slow motion, the car pulled out of the line of traffic and kept going , then i realised there was no hard shoulder and the person was going to hit us. Felt frozen to the spot absolutely sh****ss. You could see it happening but you could do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Never frozen to the spot in real lilfe but many times in dreams. I used to have a dream years back where I was being chased by an american cop, used to wake up scared ****less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

When i was about 10 or so i tried to set a coal truck ablaze while the poor fella was delivering a bag up a few flights of stairs to some auld one. He caught me in the corner of his eye and made chase. He chased me for about 20 minutes, he just wouldnt stop. Like the fukin terminator so he was. I'l never forget that let me tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Dun laoire wrote:
    When i was about 10 or so i tried to set a coal truck ablaze while the poor fella was delivering a bag up a few flights of stairs to some auld one. He caught me in the corner of his eye and made chase. He chased me for about 20 minutes, he just wouldnt stop. Like the fukin terminator so he was. I'l never forget that let me tell ya.

I'm that coal man and I still haven't forgotten! I just gave you a head start of a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When my partner was six months pregnant with my first child, she was hit by a football right on the stomach, The journey to the hospital and the wait for test results than followed was the scariest time of my life. I was absolutely s**ting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

If you want to feel a form of terror do a bungy jump/swing, but jump off backwards. All your instincts go in to overdrive as you fall and it is as close as you will get to real terror without having to actually put yourself in danger. Its an unforgettable experience.

Esskay

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

At least once a day, every day, for the past 14 years.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote:
    At least once a day, every day, for the past 14 years.

I take it your talking about shi**ng yourself? :D

Advertisement