Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damages [** Spoilers **]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Dudess wrote: »
    Started on BBC last night. Delighted. RTE was showing it on Saturday night - not a great time imo. I saw episode three and four on RTE and found it intriguing. Finally got to see the first episode on the Beeb last night. Absolutely superb stuff. Catch it if you can.

It was a disgraceful slot for such an excellent show. I knew it was starting on bbc but I just couldn't wait that long or start watching from the beginning again.
    Dudess wrote:
    Well the finale was on BBC1 last night - absolutely superb! Things all seemed to be tied up, and while it was quite good, it was a tad disappointing as I thought there'd more excitement... obviously that was the desired effect as nothing could have prepared me for the big clanger at the end.
    It's just a remarkable show - of Sopranos/24 calibre. I really hope it catches on. Shame it's not huge - it should be.

I agree, it should be a lot more popular than it is. Can't wait wait for series two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

have to say , was a tad disapointed by the finale of series 1. was expecting major twist of some sort.
    what was all that about her at her babies grave, what significance did it have or did i miss a bit. i thought it was going to come out that the baby was fathered by frobisher or something. ellen turning on her in the end was no major shock, it wasn't as if she was loyal to her all along so her betraying her is not a huge twist.
    thoroughly enjoyed the series though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The big twist isn't what you said at all - it's
    what happened to make Ellen agree to help the FBI bring her down. The whole time, the audience was being led to believe that Patty ordered a hit on her, then it looked as if Patty definitely didn't and was ultimately a decent enough soul, especially seeing as her vulnerable, caring side was shown when Fisk committed suicide and when she went to visit her baby's grave - suddenly she didn't seem capable of such ruthlessness... So when it turned out that Patty actually did order a hit on her, it was absolutely shocking - and remember this was after Fisk killed himself.

I couldn't understand how a second series would work, but it makes sense now. Ultimately it was about a lot more than just the Frobisher case. What I loved was the way enough details were tied up but a few interesting new dimensions have been brought in to set the scene for the next series - e.g. the 1972 thing, Frobisher now - is he or isn't he?, the employee who he was supposed to be paying to get info, the other job that the bespectacled hitman has, Patty's son - definitely something dodgy about him... The 1972 thing is bound to have some significance all right. They'd hardly just throw it in there and leave it at that - unless the writers decide to do a Lost on it ;). MsMolly, I was thinking exactly what you were thinking, as was my mum - especially when I thought about the part where he asked her why she hated him so much - but that's probably the writers playing tricks on us again...

Never have I been so looking forward to a new series - and it's much too early to be even thinking about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I have to say me and missus were getting a bit tired of this but the last episode was really good and it really set it up for the second series. Is it on in the States yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Rumour has it that two more thirteen episode seasons have been ordered and that season 2 will start in the fall in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A later date than the first season which began last July. Makes sense. The ratings aren't anywhere near what was hoped for and deserved. Airing the show from autumn would probably be a better option for maximising viewing figures.

I can't understand why FX opted to air such a big name show from July. Maybe they thought the inclusion of Close and Danson in the cast would be enough of a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sat down and finished the first season today.

Bit disappointed in the final few episodes to be perfectly honest as
    although Dudess reckons Patty's "did she / didn't she" order the hit on Ellen was well done.. it really never convinced me.

As soon as Ellen asked Patti "had she regretted what they've done?" (leading to Fisk's suicide) and Patty watched in fear as Ellen said "she did" - it was obvious that Patty was then scared of Ellen revealing the circumstances surrounding Fisk's suicide. And her telling Ellen she could stay the weekend in her apartment just cemented my theory. Her anguish was well played but that moment between Ellen and Patty convinced me.

And throwing in Patty's baby somewhat threw me a little.. didn't know really what to make of it. I assumed if the baby died in 1974, she would have been the same age as Ellen.

A very good series but the final few episodes did somewhat let me down..

Good interview with the creators here though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

just watch the last ep, the good guys are just as evil and manipulative,it was damn good that way, we 've seen a lot of that recently have we, who really are the good guys types of shows...

surely the only way to find out who davids killers were and to link it to frobisher was to go ahead with the trial and not settle, plus all the other illegal things that occurred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ted Danson did a delicious job in the debut season of FX's dark Damages, and now the show has reeled in an equally tantalizing actor for the second cycle, arriving in early 2009. Oscar winner William Hurt will play a new client of Patty Hewes' — one who shares a personal as well as a professional past with Glenn Close's barracuda.

Series creators Todd A. Kessler, Glenn Kessler and Daniel Zelman say in a statement, "We are thrilled and honored to have William join Glenn Close on our Damages dream team. The fuse is lit, and with these two actors going head to head, the fireworks are sure to fly."

Before you ask, I will interject here that at this time, Danson's involvement in Season 2 has not been determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I've just finished the boxset of this show and like many of you was blown away by the twists and turns in the show. It did sag a little towards the end, before Fiske's suicide, but picked up again. I was convinced mad Lila had commited the perfect crime in killing David and setting Ellen up for it, and I of course thought Frobisher's guys had tried to kill Ellen in the beach house. I wonder will the dodgy detective be back for season 2, as he never got his comeuppance.

Looks like I have something else other than Lost to look forward to in early 2009.

• Advertisement
Advertisement