Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you come from?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

My mother is from Limerick of upper middle class descent,not protestant but definitely anglicised. My fathers family have an anglicised name.However we are the only clan of irish natives to be given that name,so we can (unreliably) claim to be pure South Ulster on that side. We were never 'planted' or forcibly moved. We have been there for centuries...My mates sometimes refer (less and less since college) to me as a Fir Bolg,and never in a positive way!
    Can trace direct ancestry back to a census in 1849,4 brothers in the same townland as my father was born in,with names that are still handed down in my family. Pre-famine have found nothing. My history professor in college went to school with my dad so knew what documents to look up to find this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

born in galway(nearest hospital), both parents born and raised in north clare but as far as i know a few generations back there are english landlords in my ancestry but not 100% on that...am sure tho that on the other side of the family its 100% fenian!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Born in Birmingham.
    Both Parents born in Dublin
    Maternal great grandparents from Dublin
    Paternal grandparents both born Tralee
    I have traced my paternal line back to 1836. GG Grandparents married in Kerry. She was a local but I have yet to find out where my gg grandfather was from. He was a stonemason and I believe he was brought to Kerry to build churches. My surname is Glover so I presume he was English. Will keep searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Born in Dublin to non -Dublin parents,dad was from co Down mother co Clare....... what a mix, and i moved to uk back in 87 ,but always consider myself a ' Dub ' .I still have famliy in various parts of Dublin ie, Rathfarnham ,Ballyfermot ,Drumcondra and Tallaght . It seems my mothers madien name is quite popular over in Wales and my dads over in Norfolk.We can trace our ancestors to the Norman and Viking era to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

"It is one of those bizarre developments," she said. "We traced the Bush genealogy through a Republican source in Chicago and found it was correct. People here are absolutely shocked. I'm not sure what the wider reaction will be, Bush has not been seen as a great friend of the Irish." :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1399353,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

From Tipperary.
    Extended family are spread around North Tipp, East Clare and South Offaly.
    Hurling country! ;)

Going way back to famine times, the family would have been from Galway.
    Not sure what happened after the famine as they obviously did well from themselves and own a lot of land around the area.
    Though I'm fairly poor :(

And going back further, my family surname would have been one of the tribes of Ulster but stayed in Ireland after the Flight of the Earls. They lost their land in Ulster during the plantation and had to go to Galway.

Land is obviously a big thing in this family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

McArmalite wrote: »
    "It is one of those bizarre developments," she said. "We traced the Bush genealogy through a Republican source in Chicago and found it was correct. People here are absolutely shocked. I'm not sure what the wider reaction will be, Bush has not been seen as a great friend of the Irish." :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1399353,00.html

A genealogist responds to the article - http://humphrysfamilytree.com/famous.bush.strongbow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Born in Louth and lived there/here all my life. My mother's name is Mc Ardle which is a very common name in the Louth/Monaghan/Armagh Oriel area and my father's name Cunningham is a Scottish name. The Cunningham coat of arms is in Slane. My Great grand parents come from a village called Collin which is 10 km north and i live anonther 10 km north of that, so I guess I know my stuff.

Louth and proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Exit wrote: »
    I've been doing some family research lately, so I'm interested in this subject. I realise that not everybody is interested in genealogy but I'm sure most people know at least a little of their family history.

I grew up in Clonshaugh, Dublin, but for the first 10 months of my life I lived in Ballymun. For anybody who knows Ballymun, I lived in one of the cottages that used to be at the crossroads. The house was in our family since it was built in the early 1900s. So, I was born there, as was my mother and was my grandmother. My great-grandparents, however, were born in The Boot Inn, Cloghran, Co. Dublin and Coolboy, Co. Wicklow. My grandfather was born in Inchicore, Dublin with his parents being from a place called Dernegaragh in Westmeath.

On my dad's side, he was born in Dolphin's Barn, as was his father, and probably his grandparents too. His mother was a Protestant and born in Shankill, Co. Wicklow. Her family apparently disowned her because she married a Catholic.

I'm not asking for intricate details, but I'm just curious where people come from. Are you 100% Irish as far as you know?

Shankill's in Dublin, not Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Here's one for ya,
    Folks had my family traced back as far as possible. Turns out I have the oldest surname in the south-east, dates back to 900 A.D. to a band of maurading mercenaries........ cool or what :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So you're a Danish viking?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

mike65 wrote: »
    So you're a Danish viking?

Mike.

I look more Norwegian tho :)
    Seriously tho, they were'nt vikings, just a bunch of rowdy irishmen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Shankill's in Dublin, not Wicklow.

I know, but the birth cert said Shankill, Co. Wicklow, and as the town is on the border, I figured maybe a 100 years ago it was in Wicklow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

You can take a voluntary DNA test to determine your ethnic make up - I suspect some of us may not be as Irish as we thought.

Me? I'm a total mongrel. I was born in Manchester, but both parents were from Yorkshire. My maternal great grandfather was Dutch, my surname is Scottish and my daughter inherited a rare genetic disorder that only ever occurs among Jews. I've lived in Ireland since I was 3 years old and consider myself Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

My great grandparents on my mother side are English-Ukranian. They were in London.

My dad side: Mother family-Carlow----Father--Research finds Spain(not sure how this can happen either..my second name is an Irish one so I'm not sure what they were doing in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Pakistan on my Father's side, London-Indian on my Mum's.

Interesting dinnertime conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

There's some strange goings on in this crazy world.

I know a guy who is half Indian (father Irish, mother Indian, lived in Ireland all his life).

While working in London he met an "anglo-Indian" girl, actually a lady of Irish origin. Her family had lived in India for generations but had always married into people of pure European stock. When he married her, it was the first time that anyone in her family had ever married someone of "native" Indian ancestry. And he was a bloody Paddy!!

Fancy that!!

Here's another one I always found fascinating. In Kerry, which was colonised by the Normans, there was a big Geraldine population. And some of the names have stayed put all down the generations since the 12th century. Take for example the great Kerry footballer Maurice Fitzgerald. At first glance, it would be hard to find a more quintessentially Kerry name than that, but in fact it's pure French: Maurice being a common French name, and the Fitz patrynomic being derived from the French fils meaning "son".

A French man in an O'Neill's shirt!

Advertisement