Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phakic lens implants instead of laser eye surgery - anyone get it done?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vanmax

I was interested in the kooman's comments after picking up the thread in a google search. I have joined this forum and find these things very complicated . . however, the kooman, if you see this, I wanted to know what your partner had done with her second eye. I have had one done and don't feel like having the second one done, because of the long erm risks. I am kind of happy with the one, but as it hasnot settled down yet, I am not even thiking about the second. 10 days on and it does not feel right. I thought I was the only person to have said "no, just one is fine!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

vanmax wrote: »
    I was interested in the kooman's comments after picking up the thread in a google search. I have joined this forum and find these things very complicated . . however, the kooman, if you see this, I wanted to know what your partner had done with her second eye. I have had one done and don't feel like having the second one done, because of the long erm risks. I am kind of happy with the one, but as it hasnot settled down yet, I am not even thiking about the second. 10 days on and it does not feel right. I thought I was the only person to have said "no, just one is fine!!"

At work vanmax but will write over the weekend in more detail. the wife got her second eye done 2 months ago and her sight is near perfect. still some halos but the lazy eye is improving immensely also....
    it has been nearly 2 years since she got the 1st one done...

i never noticed this before (and i realize there is a medical condition called lazy eye) but I think my "New" eye is being really lazy since the operation. i am supposed to have a bit of near vision but it will not focus and defers to the dominant right one, I am sure more than it ever did. maybe 2 years will have it better. i can see t lines of light at the bottom and it seems cloudy still. just doesn't feel right yet and tehre were peole having their 2nd ey done a week later!!! argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ryanglynn86

Some really helpful info on here

I an considereing Phakic IOL's for one eye which is at -10. I have astigmatism and apparently the connections never developed so my brain doesnt use this eye properly, I'm sure you know the deal.
    This means glasses or lenses never worked for me as they all gave me blurred double vision.
    So what is the difference between a lens in my eye (IOL) or the lens I put on my eye (my contact lens)?
    I am just skeptical as to how effective the procedure is. Why would IOL's not be just as ineffective as contact lenses?

does anyone have any info?
    Hope I'm wrong though
    cheers

so I still have only one eye iol inplant. left eye still not better. sore, lid swollen and some rays of light across the eye, sensative and just doesn't feel well yet. 4 months on. this is unusual I am told. . However, my distance vision is fantastic and the stigmatism is gone. the cuts the surgeon made cured the astigmatism. they couldn't get a lens that cured the astig. in time so did it with cuts! so for you, this might be the better way. don't know about your other problem. maybe the surgeon will.

• Advertisement

vanmax wrote: »
    so I still have only one eye iol inplant. left eye still not better. sore, lid swollen and some rays of light across the eye, sensative and just doesn't feel well yet. 4 months on. this is unusual I am told. . However, my distance vision is fantastic and the stigmatism is gone. the cuts the surgeon made cured the astigmatism. they couldn't get a lens that cured the astig. in time so did it with cuts! so for you, this might be the better way. don't know about your other problem. maybe the surgeon will.

that seems a long time to be swollen. my wifes eye was swollen for a few weeks after but she had an infection in the folicles but this has cleared up. her sight is perfect now... she is very happy with it.
    ryanglynn86; the astigmatism is cleared by how the surgeon tightens the stitches. my wifes astigmatism cleared after this was done with the first eye. this "lazy" eye has now improved big time. the artisan lens is placed inside the outside layer of the eye and stitched to the eye with special clips on it so as that it doesn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 squidgy51

Several years ago I had that “cutting” of the eye operation mentioned in the earlier post, to improve my stigmatism (I’m +6) I was told gud chance of working and that there was no side effects except the pain and no downside! It turns out it made gettin contact lens way harder/impossible and according to prof o Keefe only had a 50/50 chance of working but would never have got me to a point where I wouldn’t need glasses which was the promise at the time if it worked(which it didn’t)
    Now it turns out as I get older my prescription is changing slightly and that combined with the scarring has brought me to a point where it’s hard to read(due to blurring/double vision).
    Like a lot of other people I would advise getting 2nd opinions and lots of research! Which I thought I had done and went to a respectable consultant in a leading hospital! You can not be too careful and having an operation on even one eye can effect the combined sight from both unless ur goin to wear a patch over the bad one for the rest of ur life!

nearly 10 years on from the initial artisan lens implant and both eyes are still great. she did have a lens detach at one point but surgery the next day (great service from the consultant) and it was fixed up. obviously it wasn't ideal in terms of having to drop everything and getting it done. this was maybe 7 years ago.

she has a small deterioration in the cell count of one eye but this is monitored at each 6 months checkup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 squidgy51

thekooman wrote: »
    nearly 10 years on from the initial artisan lens implant and both eyes are still great. she did have a lens detach at one point but surgery the next day (great service from the consultant) and it was fixed up. obviously it wasn't ideal in terms of having to drop everything and getting it done. this was maybe 7 years ago.

she has a small deterioration in the cell count of one eye but this is monitored at each 6 months checkup.

Hi I was trying to find out, what happens to someone if the cell count drops off dramaticall?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've never heard of this and been thinking about laser surgery for years but just cannot seem to pluck up the courage to do it.

This implant surgery seems like it carries quite a lot of risks?
    @thekooman - are the checkups free or how much do they cost?

I'm -6/-6.5 with astigmatism and was never bothered about getting 20/20 vision but close enough I would be happy with. But reading here even the laser surgery is very dependent on the eye with my prescription (never even knew that0
    Damn, this was something I planned on doing this year.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    This implant surgery seems like it carries quite a lot of risks?
    @thekooman - are the checkups free or how much do they cost?.

every surgery has a risk.
    checkups were free first few years but now it's 100 or 150 euro...I'm not sure.my wife goes every 6 months but a year would do.

cell count; if it goes too low it will introduce a cataract afaik... might need to clarify this. cells can be regenerated and inserted into the eye.last resort idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can I ask, since this thread is quite old at this time, has the procedure/operation improved at all or is it basically the same thing

Starting to read up on this now...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm -6/-6.5 with astigmatism and was never bothered about getting 20/20 vision but close enough I would be happy with.
    Look into wavefront lasik. It allows people with high astigmatism get their eyes lasered.

Advertisement