Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote of no confidence.

Options
  • 26-09-2007 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Bertie is up for it by his own party (which he will win). I would like to see what the people on the ground think.

confidence in Bertie. 134 votes

No confidence, Bertie is doing damage in the long term.
    0% 0 votes
    Every confidence, Bertie is a great progressive leader.
    100% 134 votes

Comments

He should go. Way too many unresolved issues about his finances. Very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Teflon Don. Dodgy as fúck! He will be fine though!!!!

Grrrrr...

What was it CJH said "The most cunning of them all..."

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CitizenGeek

I think I agree. Politics in Ireland are really flawed. Someone on Q&A on Monday made the point that if the UK PM was in Bertie's situation, he would have been gone a long time ago. It's a sad day when people 'settle' for dodgy finances in a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Bertie and the entire FF party are nothing more than a joke..

Its embarrassing tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill wait til the tribunal report before offering an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

81-76, it was tight all the same.
    All it would take is some FF backbenchers to switch sides and he'd have had lost.

Who are we kidding, he'll never be forced to resign. It's our fault, most admire people for being a cute hoor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I've seen this sort of crap getting nasty before, so I'll ask that you back up your point with something more than 'they is a juk lol' (Going forward). It doesn't have to be an in-depth discussion or reason...Just something. Please: no defamation- back up character assassinations and accusations with links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

ill wait til the tribunal report before offering an opinion

C'mon man, the tribunal is like an episode of father ted.. "that money was resting in my account", "I have no recollection of those events", "We didnt keep bank records back then"...

Making a joke of the country and its people...i dont need to see a report to know bertie (and AIB) is full of ****..

Edit: mod please delete if inappropriate..

Orange69 wrote:
    C'mon man, the tribunal is like an episode of father ted.. "that money was resting in my account", "I have no recollection of those events", "We didnt keep bank records back then"...

Making a joke of the country and its people...i dont need to see a report to know bertie (and AIB) is full of ****..

well i would rather wait and see facts than believe what i read on rte or hear on the radio before offering an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

I think I agree. Politics in Ireland are really flawed. Someone on Q&A on Monday made the point that if the UK PM was in Bertie's situation, he would have been gone a long time ago. It's a sad day when people 'settle' for dodgy finances in a PM.

You may recall the cash-for-honours affair.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4812822.stm
    Orange69 wrote:

Also known as the Gonzales defense - "I don't recall".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ9wQjU5UWk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

well i would rather wait and see facts than believe what i read on rte or hear on the radio before offering an opinion.
    I would like to see the oposition parties have a go at him for a couple of months in the Dail. Then a no confidence vote should be cast. It is to early for them to do so at the moment as the trial is still ongoing. There is more to be revealed in the enquiry, a vote in his favour at the moment would work against proper justice being done as the gangster would use it in his favour, and his party members would sit back and keep on enjoying the rewards and slapping Bertie on the back for his clever dodginess.

their loyaltly would wain with the possiblility of being involved with a dodgy leader exposed. Therefore a vote of no confidence would be more feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

That Sly Bast**d Enda Kenny makes me sick. He eased off Bertie before the General election for fear of a backlash by voters.

I would like to see the oposition parties have a go at him for a couple of months in the Dail. Then a no confidence vote should be cast. It is to early for them to do so at the moment as the trial is still ongoing. There is more to be revealed in the enquiry a vote in his favour at the moment would work against this in all respects.

a vote of no confidence was defeated tonight by 81 votes to 76. i would now like to see the oposition shut up and let the government get on with what they were elected for. moaning at the government for a few months would be silly when hospitals, public transport, crime, housing etc.. are matters requiring urgent attention from the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Read the transcripts from the Tribunal and you can have the facts (which are reproduced in most papers). You don't have to wait 2 years for the report, when the Taoiseach's testimony has already been heard.

I personally am appalled at the Green party here.

Check out this quote from Trevor Sargent in the months before the election:
    “We cannot allow cynicism about our democratic system to grow. Shame on you, Taoiseach, for undermining the people’s trust. Shame on you for bringing the office of Taoiseach into disrepute,” Mr Sargent said.

“By anyone’s standards, including your own expressed standards, you should not be Taoiseach today. You have lost moral authority. What you have done is not right. It is unethical, improper, and not befitting of high office.”

And he finished by calling for the Taoiseach to resign: “I give you your choices, Taoiseach: take positive action to clean up Irish politics. Do the decent thing and resign – or give the electorate the choice between your politics and mine.”
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWQLSNEYIDKF

And now, for a junior ministry at the Department of Agriculture, he has completely betrayed that moralistic stance and voted that he has full confidence in that same person -- and this without a thing changing relating to the money he receieved that Sargent was calling for his resignation for; AND, with more damning revelations emerging from the tribunal, and the Taoiseach's testimony further contradicting his previous story.

What a spineless scumbag. I'm ashamed that I gave them a preference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Orange69 wrote:

Its embarrassing tbh..
    +1.
    All the Goverment need now is a spokesman like Chemical Ali to reassure us mere mortals that everything is fantastic.oh wait, Willie o' Dea did that in the sunday fianna fail independant 2 weeks ago.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

galwayrush wrote:
    +1.
    All the Goverment need now is a spokesman like Chemical Ali to reassure us mere mortals that everything is fantastic.oh wait, Willie o' Dea did that in the sunday fianna fail independant 2 weeks ago.:mad:

Think you mean Comical Ali. Chemical Ali will be hanged next month
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Hassan_al-Majid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Orange69 wrote:

Its embarrassing tbh..

Democracy is a wonderful thing. Shut up moaning. Let the tribunals end and stop lining the lawyers pockets and let this government get on with doing what they were elected for . End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

micmclo wrote:
    Think you mean Comical Ali. Chemical Ali will be hanged next month
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Hassan_al-Majid
    oops, you are correct,any chance of hanging this shower for crimes against reality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

its not berties fault

its the sheep that keep voting for him

baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaa

definitely cj clone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

a vote of no confidence was defeated tonight by 81 votes to 76. i would now like to see the oposition shut up and let the government get on with what they were elected for. moaning at the government for a few months would be silly when hospitals, public transport, crime, housing etc.. are matters requiring urgent attention from the government
    Totally predictable. It was always going to be close in favour of Bertie. Now why did I know that? Because that was the way it was always going to go at this early stage. Now another vote on the same issue cannot be cast for months. Nice one Bertie, slipped the net again.

Our ****ed up infrastructure and selling off of vital services to businesses will continue to screw us royally for the years to come, how many people are getting bills from the ESB threating cut offs? How many people are getting bills from crucial services like this? How many people have substandard broadband when across the water 16 millions have it as a standard? How many people are driving 07 cars on ****ty roads. Nice one Bertie at least you and yours will be ok when the **** hits the fan that is a given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I think he should go, no trust in him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Clean house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

henessjon wrote:
    its not berties fault

its the sheep that keep voting for him

baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaa

definitely cj clone
    Thats really the problem though, isn't it. Most of the current people in power learned their trade at CJs knee, and they haven't forgotten the lessons he taught. You can lie as much and as big as you like, as long as you defiantly stand up and defend those lies. You have the mandate of the people, after all.

You get this sort of thing in a lot of third world countries; people will vote for the strongest man they can find, even if he is robbing them blind, purely out of fear. And the fact of it is, at the time of CJH, Ireland wasn't too far off a third world country. So most of the establishment still has that mindset.

As to why they voted in FF again, well FF sat at the helm of the tiger economy, the growth of the country's finances, even though they had little to do with the creation or maintenance of the tiger economy. To a great extent, this benefitted the older generation, those who already had land to sell. It is no coincidence that a) these are the people most likely to vote and b) they were the ones who originally voted in CJH.

I'd like to see a new younger generation step up and take the reins, perhaps forming a new party with attitudes not rooted in that time. If they could motivate the younger electorate, they could make significant and immediate gains.

In the coming troubled economic times, there might be a chance for change, as people begin to realise just how deep FF has left them in it.

Chances are however, they'll just vote for the strongest man in sight. And he'll rob them blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

No surprise really, FFS these people found out that he had been taking larger "donations" without declaring them than current legislation had allowed, so what did they do??? "Alright Bertie, me lad, we'll up that limit for you so in future you can take the money and be all hunky-dory".:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd like to see a new younger generation step up and take the reins, perhaps forming a new party with attitudes not rooted in that time. If they could motivate the younger electorate, they could make significant and immediate gains.

Well, this is a democracy, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping YOU doing this.

Or else do what everyone else does.

Bleat on and on about how bad Bertie is, but at the end of the day, do sweet fa about it.

If you want change, you make the change.

Go on, set up your Young Ireland party, or whatever it is you want.

See how many people in the 18-25 bracket you can motivate to vote for you.

CARPE DIEM my friend, viva la revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

people knew of bertie being dodgy before the election.yet he still got voted in...surely that tells you something about how much people wanted bertie to stay in government!!! and in all fairness, its not like there is any one better out there to do the job.he may be corrupt as hell but that has'nt stopped him from doing a better job than most others would.

so to all those who are opposed I say get over yourselves!! he is a good leader and he is the best we have.so we're going to have to make do!!!

DesF wrote:
    Well, this is a democracy, there is absolutely NOTHING stopping YOU doing this.
    Meh, I'm already meddling with enough countries as it is. I limit my contributions in Ireland to an advisory capacity only.
    DesF wrote:
    CARPE DIEM my friend, viva la revolution!
    Indeed.

Meh
    This simple three letter non-word sums up this whole country actually.

- I hate the government already, I hate them a lot.

Do something about it then

- Meh, can't be arsed, but I'll type furiously on the internet about it, that'll show them.

DesF wrote:
    - Meh, can't be arsed, but I'll type furiously on the internet about it, that'll show them.
    In fairness, there was nothing furious about what I typed. It was more melancholy than anything else. I wasn't trying to incite a revolution either, just responding to a poster who called most of the electorate sheep, and explaining who was voting and why they voted that way.

What's your beef anyway, besides jumping into discussions other people are having and laying about you with your cutting wit?

• Advertisement

In fairness, there was nothing furious about what I typed.
    You flatter yourself too much Sammy, I wasn't only directing my post at you. I apologise if it seemed that way.
    What's your beef anyway,
    I wouldn't exactly say I have a beef per se.

I hate people who say the likes of "I hate the government blah blah blah, but there's no real alternative blah blah blah".

They have to PROVIDE the alternative, what is stopping these idiots standing for election too? Forming their own real alternative party.

If people genuinely want things to change, they need to take action, not just give out on Joe Duffy, Matt Cooper, George Hook, Boards.ie, TwentyMajor or whatever else.

besides jumping into discussions other people are having and laying about you with your cutting wit?
    Seriously?

This is a public message board.

What's more, it's After Hours.

If you want serious politics discussion, head on over to the Politics forum.

Advertisement