Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First 0c tonight?

Options
  • 17-09-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well the first northerly plunge of the autumn has arrived today and can clearly be felt outside, it's feckon freezing out of the sun.

With maxima only expected to reach 13c today.

Tonight with clear skies temperatures inland and in the south and east will dip very low, between 0 and 6c with the first ground frost of the season and perhaps air frost in a few locations.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yep WC,i think the rural spots will get down to 0c air temp or even close to.

The temps will fall quick after sundown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is probably possible in the really sheltered spots in the east midlands.

Will probably reach 3 or 2 where I am but we'll see. Max today so far here is 12c and feeling chilly.

I wonder what the average date of the first air frost is??

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wouldnt be surprised to see Mothman getting close to an airfrost tonight.
    The air really is bone dry out thre, current dewpoint is 1.4°C with humidity of 54% and falling - if the wind dies down the temperature is going to plummet this evening.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

8c @ Dublin Airport at 2000hrs

I expect Dublin Airport to dip to 1c by 5am tomorrow morning

Kilkenny might reach 0c ;)

7.2°C here ;)
    Suprisingly windy, expected it to die down a lot more, temp still falling roughly at 1°C an hour though.
    Heating is on though, feels very wintery with it dark outside and cold and the heating on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Possible first windscreen frost of the season? :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This all of a sudden springs to mind! is that snow or ice ;)....

41NYBYHGZBL._AA280_.jpg

mike65 wrote:
    Possible first windscreen frost of the season? :(

Mike.

Yep, I parked my car in its winter slot for the first time this evening since last winter.
    That said the air is very dry and its pretty windy still so we're likly to get off lightly.
    Are there frost sheets for cars like there are sun shades for the insides does anyone know?, it is a right PITA not having heated windscreens when its really frosty in the mornings. Newspaper would probably do the trick but its messy and dirty stuff, would prefer something that can just stick over the screen and leave the wipers up like they do in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Dropping off here too, down to 8.5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Longfield wrote:
    Heating is on though, feels very wintery with it dark outside and cold and the heating on.

Theres actually a slightly strange smell in my house now, the smell of artificially created heat :p, the smell of radiators after a number of months eh, reminds me of winter. Although the real indication of cold weather here in Carlow town was when you'd get the smell of the pulp from the beet factory, but alas, thats gone :(

Anyway, temp holding steady at 7.3C here.

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote:
    Are there frost sheets for cars like there are sun shades for the insides does anyone know?
    Check this out

7.4c and dropping off.Clear and cold.

Down to 5.7c here but I can hear the wind blowing in the trees outside. If the wind keeps up, the temp shouldn't go much lower. Still a long way to go before we get any frost I'd say.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

5c @ Dublin Airport at 11pm

notably 3c @ Casement at 11pm too.

A cold night, wind will continue to ease, going to be some scraping in the morning, although the early morning sun might burn it off from 8am so be up early if you wanna catch some frost:D

Only 6.9c here, strong breeze out though.

6.6c and brrrrrr in that wind.

Moved relevant posts from rain or shine thread to keep together in WC thread.

Lowest I got to was 3.3C, still a bit to go to get to that 0C :p lowest windchill was -1.1 though!

Low of 4.4c

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Felt like it was freezing in Dundalk this morning. Must put the gauge out tonight.

Reached a low of 2.3c here last night. Looks like Longfield had a similar temp. Back to mild and windy for the next few days...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

My overnight min was 2.1C!

• Advertisement

Overnight min was 2.6°C with a pretty decent frost on house roofs and car windscreen this morning.
    First de-icing of the season :)
    Mobhi1 what type of station do you have? (would be great to have another member here with a station to add to our list).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Longfield wrote:
    Overnight min was 2.6°C with a pretty decent frost on house roofs and car windscreen this morning.
    First de-icing of the season :)
    Mobhi1 what type of station do you have? (would be great to have another member here with a station to add to our list).

Unfortunately I don't have a station; just an Oregon Scientific wireless max/min thermometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Breerze kept temp up with a min of 5.oC and grass min of +0.4C
    I did an early morning trip across mountains and it was very white in the hollows with a probable air frost there.

Other mins
    Casement & Birr 1.5C
    Kilkenny 1.7C and -5C grass min.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

It got down to 1.4C at 6am according to my new weather station.

I thought it might be reading a bit low compared to everyone else, but I'm just down the road and at a slightly higher elevation than Casement so looks like it was pretty close after all.

Suppose we can still use this thread as 0c wasnt reached last time.

The next few nights could reach 0c inland areas most at risk aswell as the mountain boys.
    Temp is fallen pretty quick here(for september standards)2c in the last hour now down to 10.3c

Yep, my monies on Mothman to break his station record Sept Min over the next few nights.
    My min so far this month is 2.6°C on the 18th, reckon that may get surpassed later in the week if skies stay clear. Any NW component to the wind seems to mean bone dry here, Wicklow mountains really kill showers and moisture from that direction it seems - so hoping for NW winds :)
    Currently 8.1°C

Longfield wrote:
    Yep, my monies on Mothman to break his station record Sept Min over the next few nights.
    Yes my Sep min of 1.9c is not that low (though I've only had 2 air frosts in Oct), and the -2.7C grass min should go as well.

My all time low air temp in Sept is 2.9c way back in 1986 iirc, the year that is.

If wind direction comes from W NW or N i usually get low temps as it pushes the higher Dublin tropical temps further south and gives me the clean crisp untouched colder air from the north.

From any eastern direction,the warm sea keeps it cosy and from a S or SW direction,well forget it turn the heating off open the windows and sup on cans of lilt.

Its possible my record will go this week with this cool airmass over us.

No cookie for me yet I'm afraid, lowest I got to last night/this morning was 5.2C.

• Advertisement

With wind more east than west, I won't see record low temps. Chillier further inland where it may be calm.

Advertisement