Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post bad driving that you have witnessed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Comes out a few minutes later, pulls off (hazards still on), nearly backs into me (leaving behind her) when she realises the nose of her L-plated 95 Primera is too far out in oncoming traffic (cue loud, long blast of the horn from me), then drives on about 2 miles (hazards STILL on).

Yesterday I witnessed a car driving up the M1 for a couple of miles with hazards on. Regular motorway speed also. No sign of pulling in. Black man driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

oleras wrote:
    I observed this monday evening.

heading out the dual carriageway from limerick-patrickswell, came upon a toyota hiace pulling a horse box, he was going about 65mph, thought to myself, he is going a bit fast pulling a loaded horse box, as i overtook him, you know when something catches your eye ? i was sure someone was looking at me from the horsebox ! I dropped back a bit to have another look inside the horsebox and sure enough a 10-12 year old boy was looking out back at me...........shocking !

That reminds me - i was driving a rural road in north Clare recently when I came across a pickup truck. There was a dog standing on the rear of the vehicle tied up with a leash. And it was one of those pickups where the flat part at the rear is covered, so there were no walls to the sides or rear to stop it from falling off. Poor creature was going nuts running back and forth. This was all happening at 80kph or thereabouts. Shocking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ZOMG!
    middle-aged
    Agist!
    black
    Racist!
    woman
    Sexist!

=-=

Yes, I'm taking the piss:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Seen this a lot recently, people u-turning or reverseing on Dual carraigways / motorways so they can use the off ramp the just missed. The last 2 times I seen this happen was on the N4 & N6 where there was another exit no more than a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Here are the results of Bridge Strike in Portlaoise this morning.
    What hope would a pedestrian have? This truck was obviously going at some speed to rip top of trailer.
    I have many similar photos of Strikes on same bridge over past 2 years.
    Absolutely Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone will be killed.

20092007184kc3.th.jpg
    20092007183ku6.th.jpg
    20092007181ha7.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Jomcc wrote:
    Here are the results of Bridge Strike in Portlaoise this morning.
    What hope would a pedestrian have? This truck was obviously going at some speed to rip top of trailer.
    I have many similar photos of Strikes on same bridge over past 2 years.
    Absolutely Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone will be killed.
    to be fair the tops of those trucks are made of very light aluminium or they'd fall over at every bend. I imagine at 3 miles per hour a truck could do that damage if he didn't hit the brakes.

He was a stupid tit though to not know the height of his truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

RobAMerc wrote:
    to be fair the tops of those trucks are made of very light aluminium or they'd fall over at every bend. I imagine at 3 miles per hour a truck could do that damage if he didn't hit the brakes.

I know that it would not take much to "bend back" top of curtain sider. I've seen quite a few "bent back". What made me think this was travelling at speed was the fact that it was completely ripped off and quite a lot of the load was on pavement. If moving slowly the trailer would still be in sh1t but woulld be more or less intact.

I can somewhat understand a truck scraping a bridge but hitting it at this speed is in excusable.
    Put it this way, if I was 6'2" and was approaching a doorway which was in or around the same height as me, I wouldn't be running. I'd be very careful not to hit my head.
    Hitting the bridge is one thing. Demolishing the trailer and leaving the load on pathway is a completely different thing!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I know that this is OT, but those pics remind me of a cop asking a trucker who was stuck under a bridge
    "Are you stuck there?",
    to which the trucker replied
    "No; I was delivering this bridge and my truck broke down!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

I see a particular type of bad driving on the new Ongar link road (between Ongar and Blanchardstown) every single time I use it - no exaggeration: people overtaking in the bus lane, at speed.

The speed limit on that road is 50kph (kinda ridiculous as it's a good quality road with great visibility), but you'll always get some aggressive maneuveurs in the bus lane - average speed there would be about 80kph.

Would love to see the speed limit raised to 60kph on that road, and have some speed cameras installed !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

RobAMerc wrote:
    I don't know what its like now, but there was a time where the council resurfaced that road several times increasing the road level but didn't change the sign - this caused several bridge strikes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In limerick today got stuck at two consecutive lights by stupid women stopping while the light was green (blocking everyone else in the line of traffic behind them) to let people out / chat. Just as well my car doesn't have machine guns. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm so sick of other drivers already and I've only been driving a few months. The one that annoys me the most is when I'm going at or just slightly under the speed limit and I have people right up behind me, flashing lights or sounding their horn to get me to speed up. No it's not going to happen... Yes maybe it shouldn't be 50 kph on that stretch of road but it is, so deal with it. Annoys me so much, and I know they think it's only cause I'm a learner driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That's why I leave the L plates off my car. Honestly, I had them up for a hwile, and they work the opposite of how they're intended to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i was coming on to the roundabout in douglas over the weekend only to find myself stuck behind a woman who stopped dead in the outside lane of the roundabout, without indicating, to let out a couple of passengers. i stood on the horn as i weaved past and the look of horror on her face at my imposition was comical. people really are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I wish I had my camera with me this evening while I was sitting in traffic at the Red Cow. The lights were red and some dickhead on a green motorcycle floored it up to the white line and began to rev the hell out of his bike causing his back tyre to cover the area around him in smoke. He did this for 15 seconds then he proceeded to look left and right to consume the awe that all the people in cars had for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Guy drove a bit too far out on the road at the small cross junction outside Intel in Leixlip today in an old 3 Series, Im behind him waiting to move. I had never driven that exact route before, so didnt notice anything odd till his Reverse lights flick on and he starts reversing quite quickly. I could see him looking left and right at the road, but not in his mirror. I let a bit of a horn blow (not holding it down or anything) purely to remind him Im there in my bright yellow I-dont-blend-in-at-all auto..

He then jams on and sits there refusing to make "mirror-eye" contact. When he gets his chance to move, he leans up against his driver mirror shaking his fist at me! I guess he felt pretty stupid, but I wasnt even that bothered at his reversing, it was an honest mistake. Not everyone is out to judge!!

Mind you I then met him driving the opposite direction as I drove into Tescos Maynooth and I swear he was giving me the evil eye out that window again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 equaliser

Easy to cutout tailgaters, I just touch the brake pedal (without actually braking) every now and then so the brake lights flash. Most tailgaters get the picture (and assume that you are an erratic driver and should be given a bit of space), but not all.

Em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

1. Driving home in thick fog this morning. At least half of the cars coming against me didn't even have their dims on, don't mind having their fog lights on. The majority who didn't have the lights on as always were women.

2. A tractor held me up for 15 miles, ignoring 4 laybyes to allow a tailback of 10 cars to pass. I eventually got past. I should have got past earlier but I was worried of having a head on with a women who didn't have her lights on and would be not visible. The guy in the tractor should be flogged and thought the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

shayser wrote:
    Don't know whether I should have reported this or not.

Today, I was in a line cars traveling out of town in a 60kph zone, moving in or around the speed limit. There were two cars in front of me, the one directly in front of me was a mini-type car with L-plates. We moved into an 80kph zone, straight road, could see maybe up to 1000m ahead. A few hundred metres into the 80 zone we were still going at 60km/ph so I checked ahead, indicated, checked mirrors, checked ahead again and pulled out to overtake. When I was fully out and approx level with the back of the car in front, it pulled out in front of me. Everything from this point on was instinct. I braked, sounded the horn and pulled as much as I could to the right, it seemed, instantaenously. Then, the big shock. I noticed a woman walking on the right-hand side of the road. There was no footpath just grass verge. I missed her by inches, if even that. Jesus, she came that close to dying today. I looked in my side mirror and then my rear-view mirror to double-check I had not actually hit her. She was still standing there, thank god.

Now, I looked ahead and saw that the other car had continued on it's merry way and was quite a distance ahead. It was obviously travelling above the limit as I was now doing the limit and the distance between us was increasing. About 3 or 4km later I came up behind the car and put my hazards on. I pointed to the left a few times, indicating to the driver to pull over, which they did. I pulled in behind and got out. Went to the drivers door and the window was down. It was a young woman, maybe 18-20. I lit on her, telling her that because of her actions a woman could have been seriously injured or killed. She was very cheeky, saying I should take more care with my driving, was driving too hard, she did check her mirrors etc etc. She started her windows closing so I said to her that I had her reg and would be reporting her for dangerous driving.

On the return journey, I spotted the woman who I had nearly hit. I pulled over and asked her if she was ok. She said she was grand, that this sort of thing was a regular occurrance for her when walking on this road. I reminded her that she was close to getting killed and asked her did she want the other driver reported for dangerous driving. She said no.

(Nearly finished, swear). Later, I went into work and spoke to a colleague. Basically he said to forget about it, that the gardai would not be bothered unless there was an actual accident.

So I did leave it. Maybe it feels more serious when I was involved myself. Can't help feeling though that this person needed a proper ticking off, at least.

although this seems like careless driving, it often happens, and i have sen it happen many times where an accident aoocured as a result of it, and have been at these accidents in a professional role, the posters care was probably in the blind spot of the other car and she then pulled out unaware, some past expirience, the it is actually seen as beign mutual fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

was waking down thomas street last night, there was a fight in a pub that had just come onto the street.. one of the men ran to there car pissed drunk... and drove off through a red light and down the wrong side of the road.. then by the off chance a un marked garda car pulls up at the light that he broke... i walked over and told them. on came the blue lights and pulled him over.... im glad i got at least one drunk off the road...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Just finished my letter of complaint on this one....and sorry for the long post

I was driving up the N4 on friday evening at 5pm in rush hour madness. I came to the cross roads at newcastle i was stopped 4 cars from the lights when i noticed a black ford fiesta come up beside me to take the left turn to go towards newcastle thought nothing of it until the lights went green and he just kept driving straight he just missed the little island that seperated the left turn from the motorway and made me nearly veer into the next lane as a result so i put my hand on the horn and let him know how pissed off i was as there were 3 kids in the back,i then watched as he continued again down the bus lane he undertook 4 cars and a coach then rejoined the traffic as normal.
    So i continued on up the N4 to take my turn for leixlip(the intel exit) and he was infront of me i went to go up the slip road and he jammed on in front of me!!! on a main road! the car came to a stop on a slip road on one of the busiest roads in ireland cars had to swerve around me and i sat there gesturing as you would and he was signalling from his car for me to pull over i was loosing the plot at this stage and it was only then i noticed his brake lights were flashing it was an unmarked car! he got out and we exchanged a few words etc.. because he asked me was i in a hurry! I had my tax,insurance license etc but he wanted my insurance cert i told him that the disc was on the car only to be told they dont look at that and that he wanted me to produce my insurance cert in 10 days or i will be summonsed i cant believe this all happened because of what i think was i annoyed him when i beeped and gestured at him what was i supposed to do sit there and say nothing??? Anyway i got his name etc and i spoke to the head of his station and now im following the lines of complaint
    Again sorry for the long post/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just finished my letter of complaint on this one....and sorry for the long post

I was driving up the N4 on friday evening at 5pm in rush hour madness. I came to the cross roads at newcastle i was stopped 4 cars from the lights when i noticed a black ford fiesta come up beside me to take the left turn to go towards newcastle thought nothing of it until the lights went green and he just kept driving straight he just missed the little island that seperated the left turn from the motorway and made me nearly veer into the next lane as a result so i put my hand on the horn and let him know how pissed off i was as there were 3 kids in the back,i then watched as he continued again down the bus lane he undertook 4 cars and a coach then rejoined the traffic as normal.
    So i continued on up the N4 to take my turn for leixlip(the intel exit) and he was infront of me i went to go up the slip road and he jammed on in front of me!!! on a main road! the car came to a stop on a slip road on one of the busiest roads in ireland cars had to swerve around me and i sat there gesturing as you would and he was signalling from his car for me to pull over i was loosing the plot at this stage and it was only then i noticed his brake lights were flashing it was an unmarked car! he got out and we exchanged a few words etc.. because he asked me was i in a hurry! I had my tax,insurance license etc but he wanted my insurance cert i told him that the disc was on the car only to be told they dont look at that and that he wanted me to produce my insurance cert in 10 days or i will be summonsed i cant believe this all happened because of what i think was i annoyed him when i beeped and gestured at him what was i supposed to do sit there and say nothing??? Anyway i got his name etc and i spoke to the head of his station and now im following the lines of complaint
    Again sorry for the long post/rant
    Fair play to you for following up with his station, although in my experience it'll probably get you nowhere.

For what it's worth though I'd have done (and have done) the same as you. Yet another cop that thinks he can do anything he likes just because he has a badge. The idiot in his focus that was tailgating me on the N4 one afternoon got told to go look up the Rules of the Road when he had the neck to get out and start giving me crap about "hogging the fast lane" (fast lane? Oh you mean the OVERTAKING lane which I'm in because I'm OVERTAKING slower cars on the inside lane!)

Be warned though, all the Garda apologists will be on shortly to tell you you have a chip on your shoulder/are making it up etc :rolleyes:

i know it will get me no where but it really pissed me off if i wanted to follow it up i could ring the bus company he undertook on the road too and get the driver to back it up as he beeped at him too id say it would be handy getting the drivers name as it was a private bus droppin kids off from school hed only have to verify the car but it seems like way too much hassle and i have every respect fort eh gardai and what they do but when you have **** like this happen to you it really does make you wonder....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote:

did that already man wrote a letter on saturday after speaking with the station in question,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

an unmarked black ford fiesta??

Tails142 wrote:

exactly thats what was kinda shocking and took me a while to grasp what it was,i took the reg and everything,i was so busy shouting and pointing at him that it took me a min to see the red lights flashing under the break lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Tails142 wrote:

Was working on the new office block at the RDS and regularly saw a silver unmarked one tearing up the road,lights and siren going full blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

The_Edge wrote:
    Seen a Ban Garda driving up prospect road today on the mobile.

Also seen a ban garda in town on her mobile laughing.. Whats the point if they don't even follow the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Etnies wrote:
    Also seen a ban garda in town on her mobile laughing.. Whats the point if they don't even follow the law?

We dont call them "ban" Garda anymore you know..

Advertisement