Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about nuchal scan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have to say that we're both surprised at how things have turned out as regards speaking with doctors, tests, etc. - at times it feels like you have to prise every little bit of info out of them. I know doctors love to complain between themselves about patients who think they know it all from the internet, etc. BUT if doctors themselves are not open and treat their patients (not that a pregnant mum is really a patient...) as adults, then they can hardly complain when people turn to the internet and books to get info.

There seems to be a very different attitude with regards what you are told (i.e. without having to ask) between a maternity unit and any other type of hospital.

I feel sorry for the people who aren't informed or don't ask the questions, I feel they will just be pushed along and get the bare minimum of tests etc.

I know the stupid laws, religious ethos etc. of maternity hospitals can put the doctors in a difficult position, but really the people seeing them have a right to be as fully informed as possible about all the options open to them.

I strongly believe in a woman's right to choose, but we've decided to accept the risk (fairly low but not as low as we'd like) of something going wrong, and just go ahead no matter what and accept the outcome good or bad. It does seem to me though that part of this keeping quiet about tests, etc. thing has the effect of delaying tests to the point where people are very reluctant to, or cannot, go for a termination if the news is bad.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think that applies equally to all Irish hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

BostonB wrote: »
    I think that applies equally to all Irish hospitals.

That maybe so but I found when I was pregnant that it was not just the staff being busy they were genuinely dismissive and would talk about me as if I was not in the room to each other. Yes I know that I was 23 and 26 at the time and looked a lot younger but it was as if they did not want me knowing about what was going on with my body as a) I might not understand, b) I would ask to many questions or c) they seemed to be about keeping me in the dark as to not worry and stress me when doing that it's self was very stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Depends on the staff you get. I've had a bad experiences and good experiences in the same place, simply because of who was on that day.

It used to be that people in medicine and nursing generally had a certain empathy, bedside manner. Which is what drew them to the profession. In my experience the health service is very much lacking that quality of empathy. Its all about numbers these days and patient care suffers because of it. Lots of people get into it who really shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bea2200

BostonB wrote: »
    AFAIK theres no problem talking about the tests. At least I never experienced any. I'm just making the point that Doctors are bound by certain rules, rules and laws that they themselves may not always agree with. Don't shoot the messenger. Some people don't want to know the risks some do.

Then we go back to the same thing, the problem is the church ruling everything in this country. I had my first scan at 8 weeks in Spain, and my DR told me - you shoud be back when you are about 12 weeks to get the nuchal scan- (and she explained to me what it was). She didnt mentioned abortion at all, she just informed me that i needed to get that test done, and Im 31.

Because I live in Ireland, I came back and guess what: I ended up not having the test because of the hassle they made me go through to get it and because as my first pregnancy I didnt really know what to do because here they dont want you to know NOTHING so you keep quiet and dont complain.

BTW I love this country :D but this just makes me go bananas. It is like they are against advances in medicine.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement