Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25 Bypass - Any Pics?

• 10-09-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Huge work going on now out in Newrath and no doubt elsewhere. They've even stuck up some pillars just off the N9. It should all start to take shape and look less and less like random digging over the next year or so.

Question though: anyone got any pics of the work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I took a vid of the blasting out near the Old Kilmeaden road, must try get it up on the net at some stage.
    Don't hold your breath, I'm pretty lazy at these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Typhoon wrote:

Excellent! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

fricatus wrote:
    Excellent! Thanks!

its updated aleast once a week,nice pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

For those still interested, the following link may be of use

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Well lads,

just wondering does anyone have any updated pics of the progress so far.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

might try and get a few at the weekend. Do a search on here there's a few interesting links. The second roundabout in slieverue is open and work seems to be going well out there. The Port road is down to one lane as they're linking it up to the roundabout also.

Haven't been out to the bridge in a while. Good enough view from the Grannagh Business Park and tis a handy place to pull in and take a few snaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

As an employee of Bam Dragados, I urge people not to come on site for your own Health and Safety and anyone not permitted or inducted on site will be removed immediately.

Mickdots wrote: »
    As an employee of Bam Dragados, I urge people not to come on site for your own Health and Safety and anyone not permitted or inducted on site will be removed immediately.

That's fine, but this bypass (and particularly the bridge) are a subject of massive interest to a lot of people. Have your employers ever thought of putting up a website about the project? I know the City Council have one - and it's quite good - but it's out of date by a few months. Besides, if my company was building such a magnificent structure, I'd want a webcam of it, or a time-delay video, on my website.

Or another idea: how about arranging public tours of the works, so that people can come and take photographs under supervision?

You may or may not be in a position to decide on such things, but I throw the ideas out there for what they're worth. Lastly though, let me say that you lot are doing a terrific job. I can't wait to drive on the finished product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

That's fine, but this bypass (and particularly the bridge) are a subject of massive interest to a lot of people
    Exactly, its a pity how things have changed. Alot of the new tarmac is invisible to most people. Until recently any new roads would be a great spot for a Sunday walk/cycle . Public open days would be a great idea . Surely now there are plenty of stretches of the bypass without any serious hazard to people walking etc

As an employee of Bam Dragados
    Have Ascon being taken over? When I saw all the Bam hoardings going up recently I was thinking has that Jackass guy taken over construction:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Exactly, its a pity how things have changed. Alot of the new tarmac is invisible to most people. Until recently any new roads would be a great spot for a Sunday walk/cycle . Public open days would be a great idea . Surely now there are plenty of stretches of the bypass without any serious hazard to people walking etc

Have Ascon being taken over? When I saw all the Bam hoardings going up recently I was thinking has that Jackass guy taken over construction:D

Read all about it here

http://www.bam.nl/baminternet/baminternet/portalen/koninklijkebam_en/Content/bamworld/BAM_World_Winter_2008.pdf

and here http://www.ascon.ie/live/index.html

fricatus wrote: »
    That's fine, but this bypass (and particularly the bridge) are a subject of massive interest to a lot of people. Have your employers ever thought of putting up a website about the project? I know the City Council have one - and it's quite good - but it's out of date by a few months. Besides, if my company was building such a magnificent structure, I'd want a webcam of it, or a time-delay video, on my website.

Or another idea: how about arranging public tours of the works, so that people can come and take photographs under supervision?

You may or may not be in a position to decide on such things, but I throw the ideas out there for what they're worth. Lastly though, let me say that you lot are doing a terrific job. I can't wait to drive on the finished product!

We are only the builders of the project, it would be upto the owners of the By Pass to supply that. Owners are CRG (Celtic Roads Group)

Again public tours are not upto us!! As the main contractors we would be totally against due to insurance and Health and Safety. Each person that works on our site works to the strictest health and safety conditions and has to go through a 2 hours safety induction before setting foot on site

All great ideas, I for one would be throwing them out myself if I wasn’t an employee. It’s a high risk job and our safety record speaks for itself.

We are only the builders of the project, it would be upto the owners of the By Pass to supply that. Owners are CRG (Celtic Roads Group)

...of which BAM, Dragados and NTR are equal partners

http://www.ntr.ie/dynamic/pdf/CRG-Signs-N25-Waterford-Bypass-Construction0-and-Toll-Collection-PPP-Contract.pdf

see above

Yes Ascon was taking over by BAM, bought a few years back but only recently changed name. i have a bit of history here about BAM, will post it up as soon as i get time

Bards wrote: »

replied to your private mail which should answer this

pictures in the article are about 6-8 weeks old. alot more progress done than that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

A small but interesting fact in relation to the crane barge " Mersey Mammoth" that is due in the new year to assist in the completion of the Suir Bridge , is that the last time it was here ( Approx 10/12 Years ago ) it was used to take apart a bridge ( The missing span in the Red Iron ) !!

This should be an interesting sight a good photo oppertuntiy for all who are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

No Ascon are owned by a Dutch Multi National company called Royal BAM you'll recognise the green and gold in various different countries from ireland, UK, Holland, Africa etc. They just changed there name to BAM.

Edit: Just saw the other posts.

Time delayed video of Bridge Pylon Construction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7A1hBQDtQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Time delayed video of Bridge Pylon Construction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7A1hBQDtQ

Nice find. Weird to see the crane "wobbling" so much before the strut connecting it to the pylon was put in. Logically, I know it has to happen, it just isn't noticeable in real time.

Couldn't give a proper look, as I was driving, but have they put Christmas lights on the top section of the bridge pylon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah god bless time lapse :D Some fair wobble on her alright. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cool vid :)

Mike

first of the cables installed today!!

Excellent news!!

Is it not the 2nd one today , there was just one up yesterday ? , Any idea when the Mersey Mammoth is def due ?

not for another couple of months, it actually wont be placing anything over water. it will be placing beams between a pier and abutment thats on dry land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

This was fairly unexpected.

Coming along well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When are we realistically looking at an opening? I presume the scheme is ahead of schedule; am I correct?

Also, can someone take a picture of the Suir Bridge under construction and upload it to the wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suir_Bridge

Furet wrote: »
    When are we realistically looking at an opening? I presume the scheme is ahead of schedule; am I correct?

Also, can someone take a picture of the Suir Bridge under construction and upload it to the wikipedia article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suir_Bridge

Aug/Sep of this year

Pics can be found on the site below
    http://www.upthedeise.com/waterfordmessageboard/viewtopic.php?t=101&start=630

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aug/Sep of this year

We should kick start the old thread on pics of Waterford for those who dont read UTD. Looking at those pics, the road seem kinda tight?

Its amazing how all road projects are now finishing 'ahead of schedule', it may have something to do with the generous 'construction period' included in the contract, which in the case of the Waterford Bypass is something close to 4.5 years (that is going on the date of commencement of construction of May 2006 to Autumn 2010 as stated on those awful 'Maze Type' NRA bill boards.) So if it the bypass is opens to traffic this August/Sept expect to hear and see statements about the project opening a year ahead of schedule........

Sully wrote: »
    We should kick start the old thread on pics of Waterford for those who dont read UTD. Looking at those pics, the road seem kinda tight?

What exactly do you mean by 'kinda tight'? Too narrow? As far as I know its a standard dual carriage way with hard shoulders.........

• Advertisement

They can look deceptively narrow when they are empty and unlined. I thought the stretch from Sallypark up by the back of Bolands looked narrow too before it opened (or half of it opened), but it's actually fine.

Aug/Sep of this year

Thanks for that Bards. Fine looking road. It's a real shame though that it won't open as a motorway in my opinion. There'll be all sorts of mis-matched traffic on it, and there'll undoubtedly be a plethora of inappropriate developments built eventually.

Thanks for that Bards. Fine looking road. It's a real shame though that it won't open as a motorway in my opinion. There'll be all sorts of mis-matched traffic on it, and there'll undoubtedly be a plethora of inappropriate developments built eventually.

Very short sighted indeed, but that's what you get when this short road passes through three local authority areas, and they all want a "Piece of action"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might be interested to know this is planned to be opened sometime this year as are other parts of the Waterford - Dublin motorway.
    156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass

Source: http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,15949,en.html

More discussion on this over in the Infrastructure forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wonder if the Kilmeaden bypass will be open this year. It will be a god send.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I wonder if the Kilmeaden bypass will be open this year. It will be a god send.

Kilmeaden is being bypassed as part of the Waterford City Bypass and is not a bypass in its own right, so the answer to your question is Yes

Kilmeaden is being bypassed as part of the Waterford City Bypass and is not a bypass in its own right, so the answer to your question is Yes

Did I not hear a rumour though, that the bypass is due to open from Carriganore to Slieverue initially? (Carriganore is the junction where the ORR up past B&Q will meet up with the bypass)

That would mean that traffic from Dungarvan and Cork would continue through Kilmeaden, make a left at B&Q and then join the bypass up at Carriganore?

AFAIK there will be no stage opening of the Bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The roads will all be done before the Suir bridge is complete so it'll be Kilmeaden to Carriganore and Sallypark to Slieverue for a few months until the bridge is ready

Here is a few pics I managed to get today , as you can see the Bridge seems to be progressing well .

DSCF2488.jpg

DSCF2492.jpg

DSCF2500.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's turning into be some ugly ****er!

I'd hate to be the guy who operates that crane!

It does seem rather grey. How did the Boyne Bridge look while it was under construction?

I'd hate to be the guy who operates that crane!

It does seem rather grey. How did the Boyne Bridge look while it was under construction?

see below

http://www.dormanlongtechnology.com/English/projects/Boyne.htm

http://www.steelconstruction.org/static/assets/source/112-Feature-BoyneBridge.pdf

For Anyone interested. these is a good article in December's Engineer Ireland about the Suir Bridge

http://www.engineersireland.ie/uploads/Files/EngineeringMagazines/%7B653DCDD5109744E29557F991DAEC6EA1%7D_CABLE%20BRIDGE.PDF

I imagine the bridge looks dreary because of the grey weather conditions and because, perhaps, the concrete is not totally dry yet.

Also, when lighting is installed the bridge will appear quite nice by night. I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The last attached photo is taken from the very end of the bridge!

• Advertisement
Advertisement