Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Status of X-Series & Unlimited Broadband on 3

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Heh. That's the exact same reason why I want to get Fring running :)

What I have found is that the generic version of iSkoot (on which the bundled Three Skype client is based) runs fine on most Symbian phones. All it does is check your Skype account details via HTTPS so if you can connect to the web you can use it. Register at http://www.iskoot.com/register.php to have a link sent via email or SMS to download the version for your phone.

There is (kind of) a catch in that when using it it doesn't rely on a data connection for your end of the call. Instead it has your phone dial into an iSkoot server using a regular voice call and uses your Skype account details to make a Skype call from that server. When you do this with the Three Skype client you don't (as far as I can tell) get charged any minutes on your Three account, but you are limited to making calls to Skype clients only (ie: no SkypeOut).

When you do it using the generic iSkoot client you'll likely get hit for minutes as with any call to an ordinary Irish number, but the advantage is that SkypeOut works AND you can use the Skype IM service. Getting charged for minutes from my Three account plus the 0.02 cents per minute from my SkypeOut credit is well worth being able to stay in touch, and the call quality far exceeds Fring even on WLAN.

Thanks for the tip mr J soup! I installed iSkoot a few days ago and works quite well. Obviously would prefer to be using the services I paid for but it's definitely something. I'd like to be able to send skypeOut sms and hopefully that'll come eventually.

I'm thinking about demanding Gold as you have or just switch down to there more basic broadband package like Commander Vimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Imagining is all you would be doing unless you recorded the call or had it in writing. I just won't deal with them by phone anymore. Makes them think twice about what they commit to.
    Good thing I recorded the call so. I wasn't talking about the CS rep having stated to me that there was a known issue anyway, rather about the fact that there is a known issue with service being grounds for new contracts that included that service being unenforceable. You’re spot on about dealing with them on the phone. At the very least it is far too frustrating an experience. I may have them remove my contact number from their records to ensure that my email address is used in future.
    I'm thinking about demanding Gold as you have or just switch down to there more basic broadband package like Commander Vimes.
    I'd recommend the former if it had actually done me any good...but Gold is making no difference after having been activated more than 36 hours ago. I'm going to see if I can get Orb set up on a PC. If I can't access that it might add more weight to my complaint since it is an advertised service they place a lot of emphasis on. I'll post back here if I have any success...

Well, I'm not 100% certain if it was the switch to X-Series Gold that did it or not (the CS rep I spoke with kept referring to my X-Series Silver add on), but I received a call from 3 this afternoon telling me that I should remove the battery from my phone, re-start, and my services wuold be fully functioning. I did, and, amazingly enough, everything worked. Worked well too. Crystal clear SkypeOut calls using Fring and email appearing in the inbox of the integrated client almost as soon as they are sent. All web pages (including tinytube.net) I've tried so far have loaded. Going to hold on to Gold for a month at least before switching back to Silver just in case though...

I'd almost forgive them if it hadn't taken three and a half weeks of phone calls and emails.

Oh, I didn't have a chance t to grill the guy about what exactly the problem they 'fixed' was as was just heading out...can try to find that out if anyone is interested in hearing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What about the real streaming?

Go to bbcradio.mobi and select BBC Radio 1 and see can you listen to it for more than 1m45s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I presume they never got back to you on your letter T - neither to me - might be time to rattle their cage on this again.

• Advertisement

What about the real streaming?

Go to bbcradio.mobi and select BBC Radio 1 and see can you listen to it for more than 1m45s.

Nope. Disconnects at 1m44s.

I called back to ask what the issue with my service had actually been and the response was that my account "needed to be reset". I asked if this meant that it hadn't originally been provisioned properly (as I had suspected and suggested in an email two weeks ago) and was told yes. I don't know whether this constitutes the "known issue" another 3 CS rep referred to or what.

3s CS / tech staff really do not seem to have even the slightest idea what goes on with their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Canada, glad things are working for you now. As the streaming issue remains unaddressed by Three I would be grateful if you would post in this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055220359&highlight=streaming+three so I have something to take to Three the next time I tackle them about this.

Advertisement