Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Ballybofey

Options
  • 04-09-2007 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

can any of you advise what the best pubs are in Ballybofey/Twin Towns to have a bit of craic in?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Mike, they are all pretty close to each other. Have a wander around and you'll soon find one that suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

smashey wrote:
    Mike, they are all pretty close to each other. Have a wander around and you'll soon find one that suits.

Pat Bonners(the corner bar would probably be the busiest) but as above says there all on top of each other, you can go to Barcelona for a few drinks then go to Venice for a bite to eat:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I would have to second The Corner Bar as the last good pub in a town that used to be full of good pubs. The Gallery gets a crowd at the weekends and Jacksons and Kees hotel bars are a bit more civilized (for want of a better word). The new Villa Rose hotel bar also has a good mix of customers. Most of the others are down to a crowd of regulars, if they get a crowd at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

I am a regular in barcelona well used to be but if ya wana stay out of trouble stay away from that place there is fights every weekend especailly when there is partys on it would b alright if there was a small crowd but believe me iv seen a fight every night iv been in that place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

There used to be some great pubs there, the whitehouse, the harp bar etc etc. Think its not near as good as years ago. Those who can seem to go to Letterkenny or Donegal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ballybofey & Stranorlar has something like 25 watering holes. It all depends on what you are looking for - bit of chat at the bar - a lively crowd in a public bar - a sit down and relax to a one man band or maybe a bit of fancy footwork ranging from disco to waltzing.

Saturday night is the main night in the twin towns. In Stranorlar you can have a nice quiet pint and chat in the Rosses bar or go waltzing in the Millview or a spot of karaoke in McGuigans. Kees would be relaxing with someone like Pat McClean's smooth tones ringing out from the corner.

Go to Ballybofey and you can pop into Jacksons for something similar to Kees - a spot of music while you sit and sup the pint in the lounge. Cheers bar will also have a 2 or 3 piece band in the lounge and a fair wee crowd about it.

Heeneys public bar is OK for a quiet drink and if you are brave enough and young enough you can then head upstairs to the disco (Stampeys). The gallery gets a good mixed crowd but the majority would be in their 20's. Still they have a nice place and a disco there also.

If you are into football, particularly Celtic then head over to McKelveys which is a bit loud at times but enjoyable. Finally as has been mentioned Bonners corner bar is the place. Can get a bit crowded though but its basically a "come in and sit down" type bar and make your own fun. No live music - just a bit of background stuff which is drowned out by the crowd and of course a couple of TV's for watching match of the day.

And how do I know all this? Guess ;)

There used to be some great pubs there, the whitehouse, the harp bar etc etc.
    Aye the good old days. Sadly the Whitehouse is now a couple of shop units and the Harp has been tossed and rebuilt as the impressive Gallery bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Very well summed up Muffler, ye nearly gave all the pubs a mention.
    Was never in the Rosses bar all these years, must try it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

we have just found out who the sargent major of the pub spy group for the Sunday World is.

Hmmmm, a man of many talents

nanook wrote:
    we have just found out who the sargent major of the pub spy group for the Sunday World is.

Hmmmm, a man of many talents
    He's a mere foot soldier. :D

• Advertisement

You know, it took a lot of years and a helluva lot of money to get that information and here I am giving it away free :eek: I must be off my rocker - well thats the price you pay for seeking such experiences ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

muffler wrote:
    You know, it took a lot of years and a helluva lot of money to get that information and here I am giving it away free :eek: I must be off my rocker - well thats the price you pay for seeking such experiences ;)

LOL.
    Cheers everyone for the replies. Had only been in Jacksons and McKelveys.
    Will be heading down over the weekend no doubt, will give the verdict when I return!
    :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Aye the good old days. Sadly the Whitehouse is now a couple of shop units and the Harp has been tossed and rebuilt as the impressive Gallery bar

Glad to see you remember 'The Whitehouse' muffler which belonged to my first cousin and namesake. Did you know that 'The Moonshine Bar' in Navenny street was run by my Grandfather, before he joined County Donegal Railways in Stranorlar ;) . Bet you never knew that fact. :) .

Where he was much happier.

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Glad to see you remember 'The Whitehouse' muffler which belonged to my first cousin and namesake.
    What! Pepsi Mick is your cousin and your surname is Gallen ;)

muffler heads off to hear Pat play in Kees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

muffler wrote:
    What! Pepsi Mick is your cousin and your surname is Gallen ;)

muffler heads off to hear Pat play in Kees

Pepsi mick, now that is a nickname.

BTW what time do the pubs close in donegal, it seems Kees are still open at 1.37 in the morning.

tsk tsk

nanook wrote:
    BTW what time do the pubs close in donegal
    Close? Never heard that term before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

25 pubs in ballybofey and like 2 hotels :eek:

Great place to stay if you can get a room, would recomend the bar on the corner bar meself good nights in there.

Cmon Finn harps get promoted and stick to playing on sat nights :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    25 pubs in ballybofey and like 2 hotels :eek:

Great place to stay if you can get a room, would recomend the bar on the corner bar meself good nights in there.

Cmon Finn harps get promoted and stick to playing on sat nights :D

kdjac
    Like most areas the hotels will be booked out in the summer. Jacksons have increased their "storage capacity" as has the Villa Rose.

When I see you "rooting" for Harps I take it theres a Donegal connection here

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I presumed he was a St Pats supporter from his sig, and would be up to Twin Towns if the Harps were promoted, and he travelled to see Pats playing Harps away.

byte wrote:
    I presumed he was a St Pats supporter from his sig,
    I missed that.

Still waiting on a briefing from MikeTheMan

• Advertisement

He's a big St. Pats fan and he doesn't like the terrible beatings they keep getting in the Brandywell so he's thinking Finn Harps will be more benevolent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SOLID-SLUG,

I wud have to say if your going to any pub in Bofey, it wud hav to be The Corner Bar on a Thurs, for the kari, its a nite to rember, you cud see and hear 3 different versions of the King, Connie, John and Mad Marcus, and Ballybofeys own singing Garda, Eugene D, and if your into a Trad nite it wud have to be Junction 15 on a Mon i think? And if its a quiet pint your after go for the Rosses. N-JOY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

And if its a quiet pint your after go for the Rosses. N-JOY.

Yeah, The Rosse's in Stranorlar (Not Ballybofey), Just down a bit from Kee's Hotel, I wonder if they still have one of my old framed photo's still hanging up on the left behind the bar as you enter ?... My Gran had the first proper newsagents shop next door to the left of the pub in the Twin-Towns. I think it is now Guthries 'please exscuse spelling', it was known as McLean's ( Agents for Eason's ) and was my Granparent's home. It was also where I went to my first real wake, oh the memorie's of Stranorlar where the cattle used to be sold on the street, and you had to careful where you stepped, but myself and my friends used to earn a few bob minding the cattle and sheep for the farmers spending their hard earned cash in the Rosse's :) . Goodness I am becoming more sentimental as I get older, but they were great childhood days never to be forgotten, or repeated.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I know it's an old thread, but I'll be staying at the Villa Rose in July for a couple of nights.
    Has anything changed much pub wise?

Not really. Junction 15 has a new name and I can't remember it. You won't have far to go from the Villa Rose to get to a pub.

smashey wrote: »
    Not really. Junction 15 has a new name and I can't remember it. You won't have far to go from the Villa Rose to get to a pub.

Goods news. Thanks Smashey. :)

Directly opposite would be a good place to start. ;)

What's the name? :D

A couple of the pubs would have changed hands (and names obviously). Bonners corner bar is probably still the most popular bar in the twin towns. smashey is probably referring to Harleys Cheers Bar which is not just "directly opposite" :D but up hill a wee bit from the Villa Rose.

Heeneys Udrop Inn is also a good spot for a quiet pint and also good value for a meal.

If you havent been in the Villa Rose for a while expect a couple of surprises. ;)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    A couple of the pubs would have changed hands (and names obviously). Bonners corner bar is probably still the most popular bar in the twin towns. smashey is probably referring to Harleys Cheers Bar which is not just "directly opposite" :D but up hill a wee bit from the Villa Rose.

Heeneys Udrop Inn is also a good spot for a quiet pint and also good value for a meal.

Thanks.:)
    muffler wrote:
    If you havent been in the Villa Rose for a while expect a couple of surprises. ;)

What do you mean??? :eek:

Advertisement