Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debt - How much you have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mortgage - about €180k
    Car loan - €7k
    Credit card - about €200 I think, waiting for statement to clear it.

On the plus side:
    Shares - about €35k, although they were worth €40k until a few weeks ago. damn market crash. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

zero debt at all, i own all my possesions. im actually owed €15 for shopping in tesco last night, totally in the black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't owe money for anything thank feck, never taken out a loan in my life. Although going back to college in 3 weeks so will be renting again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

nesf wrote:
    Not including the mortgage, I owe 23 euro on my credit card...

aye, ignore that mortgage yoke, tell us about the 23euro on the credit card. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

rb_ie wrote:
    Waiting 'til your parents die to inherit a house is not cool.
    That's an absolutly absurd idea.

I wouldn't wait that long. I'd ship them off to an old folks home before they die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

About 22-23k in total. I'm 23. Most with the bank and the rest with the credit union.

It's all summed up in in the last few years, it started off with car and insurance which was not cheap. Then i made the mistake of getting a credit card which i took full advantage of while i had it. Now i've paid off the card and don't use it anymore and trying to get back on track with the debts. Hope to have it all paid off in a couple of years.

On that note, who at the moment offers the best interest rate? I'd like to get a consolidating loan to cover it all. At the moment i'm with Bank of Ireland. Who can beat these guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The-Rigger wrote:
    aye, ignore that mortgage yoke, tell us about the 23euro on the credit card. :D

It helps me sleep at night. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

15K mortgage left which will be paid off next year. I normally have around 2K visa bill that I clear every month when I get the statement.

However I've got a few years children's allowance invested which I plan using for their 3rd level education or whatever they want to do when they finish school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I never take loans, and a mortgage doesn't apply to me yet, so I'm about a grand up, no debts. Of course, I have to pay exactly a grand for college registration this year, so basically, I'm pretty much penniless. But....not in debt at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

JohnCleary wrote:
    Don't owe money for anything thank feck, never taken out a loan in my life. Although going back to college in 3 weeks so will be renting again :(

Not bad for a man who claims to own a BMW 320D, a Mitsubishi Evo, a Rib boat and, if memory serves, a Jetski...

And can afford the insurance bill, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I had e40000 mortgage years ago (bought a house before the boom) but have it all paid off.
    No car loan
    e250 owed on CC, will pay it next week
    3 kids - get lot of cast-offs, so they don't cost me much bless them!
    I buy all my clothes in Heatons, so clothing bill low
    e26.53 savings in Credit Union
    So why do we find it hard to live on one wage????
    Back to work next week following unpaid leave, so I'll be glad of the money!
    Flukey wrote:
    Get out your credit cards and click on my link in my signature and help me to help others who do have real problems. Thanks.
    Some of my credit card debt is payment to World Vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

kelle wrote:
    So why do we find it hard to live on one wage????
    Because you live in Mayo and that place is notorious for its high cost of living.
    This is due to the fact that you have to get drunk all the time to break the tedium of living htere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Terry wrote:
    Because you live in Mayo and that place is notorious for its high cost of living.
    This is due to the fact that you have to get drunk all the time to break the tedium of living htere.
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

rb_ie wrote:
    ~€500 owed to me from a pension refund

If you left a pension scheme and one of the options was a refund. Generally speaking, DO NOT take refund. The benefits accrued should be way in excess of 500 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

glad to say i don't owe anything apart from a couple of hundred on the cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Nothing, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Around €140,000 between mortgage, credit cards and alimony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I owe 28 years of life... that'd be that pesky house thing. Housing crashing, crashing I tell you... we're all dooooooomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

About €328,256

Who's laughing now:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

too much, about 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

[dwarf]i owe, i owe, so off to work i go[/dwarf]

not really. Just got paid so after paying off the credit card i'm about 1500 in the black

never paid interest on the c/c of course. I never understood the mentality of "i can't afford it now so i'd rather pay 20% more than the price i can't currently afford next month. My money tree will be in bloom by then"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

After the Summer, €2,600. Back working now, have (hopefully) alot of tax to reclaim before I start back in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

corglass wrote:
    I owe yer ma

Classic, didn't see that one coming, nor did she :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I owe mmm.... Nothing, I have no debts with about €20000 in the bank and I'm going on to be an accountant. So I'll muck about with your debt!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

About 300, until I pay my bills off tomorrow. School books and software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i owe

mortgage-240.000
    loan- 40.000
    cretit card-3-4.000
    bank-2.000

Fey! wrote:
    Not bad for a man who claims to own a BMW 320D, a Mitsubishi Evo, a Rib boat and, if memory serves, a Jetski...

And can afford the insurance bill, too.

You say 'claim' as if i'm lying, i'd be delighted to show you any time :D

Oh BTW I don't have a RIB anymore, I sold that and bought a diesel sports cruiser....

57472_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Around 4,500. I have 5,000 in a savings account but I don't want to use it to clear the loan. That would mean I wouldn't learn how hard it is to make repayments. It's ok though, I'll win the lotto tonight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

I'm not in debt yet, but come back to me next month. Starting college but didn't qualify for a feckin grant (I made the mistake of telling them I had my own savings a/c), so registration, cost of commuting, books, beer money etc is all coming out of my pocket :(
    I kinda saw it coming and starting saving on and off after 5th year, but still :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

So guys, today i added up how much debt i'm currently in..... and it depressed me! lol But to make me feel slightly better about myself i thought i'd come on here and see how i compare!!! so above is a poll to see how much ya owe out..... kinda just a rough figure but dont including anything massive like your mortgage.

So Phone, Medical, and Credit Card Bills. Personal loans, cars, money owed to people.

Hit me :D

I'm just gone twenty and own about 7,000 :D

How?!!? What the fcuk did you spend it on?

There really ought to be an intelligence test when applying for a credit card. Why anyone even needs a credit card for anything bar buying online is beyond me (and I hate buying online, only do it for flights as there is no cheaper alternative. Id far rather trek into town with the cash in my pocket if travel agents sold it at the same price than go through the online crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I owe the grand total of 7k

5.8k on my car / loans consolidated from college
    and 1.2k on insurance / tax (interest free loan over 12 month from the job! i.e the bank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

20 poun

Sh1te, I just remembered, I *do* owe money....

I OP's ma 18.99 from last week... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

hmmm including my cred card, and my money for rent n deposit I had to borrow from daddy, and the money i had to borrow to buy food etc cause im not getting paid till the end of september, I owe about €2400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im 23, have 14k in the bank, a car worth 3k, did 4 years in college and have done a lot of travelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Im 23, have 14k in the bank, a car worth 3k, did 4 years in college and have done a lot of travelling!
    live at home with your mam and dad?

RuggieBear wrote:
    live at home with your mam and dad?

What's wrong with that? Christ I wish I lived at home for college (Well, not really) I would have saved a fortune, i've still 2 years to go, rent is 3k per year, then there's food, diesel etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

about 900 on the mortgage and 22K savings.

• Advertisement

No i live in an apartment in West London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

I don't owe anyone anything. I live in paradise and answer to no one.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

There's nothing wrong with living at home, I'm just making the point that it's very easy to have lots of money in the bank if one doesn't have to pay rent/mortgage, bills, medical costs, insurance, food, tv licence/NTL etc. etc. and instead has mammy and daddy subsidising your life.

RuggieBear wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with living at home, I'm just making the point that it's very easy to have lots of money in the bank if one doesn't have to pay rent/mortgage, bills, medical costs, insurance, food, tv licence/NTL etc. etc. and instead has mammy and daddy subsidising your life.

True. i lived at home until I was 20, but i just think if people where a bit more careful with money they wouldnt be in so much debt. Like an example is whats with people getting 8k car loans for their first car? Buy a car for 1-2k then you dont have a depreciating car and a high intrest rate. When you get more money together you can get a better car.

Nah im doing OK for myself because I have a decent job, share a massive apartment in London with 5 other people, research everything before I buy to save myself money and do every hour of overtime i can. Work hard and play hard as they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Zero Debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I owe AIB a bit under 10k on my car, which is currently worth a lot more than that so its all good :)

Credit card and all that kinda crap is clear. Don't have a mortgage... yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Currently a bit fat 0 for the first time in 10 years. Feels great :D
    [EDDIE HOBBS MOMENT]For anyone with a big credit card debt, go to your local credit union and take out a loan to clear the thing. It's the only way you'll ever get rid of it[/EDDIE HOBBS MOMENT] If you must have a credit card for those tempting online shopping offers, bring down the credit limit to a few hundred euros. That way, you can still buy stuff online without feeling guilty about what it's doing to your already ill credit card balance.

Over and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Firetrap wrote:
    If you must have a credit card for those tempting online shopping offers, bring down the credit limit to a few hundred euros. That way, you can still buy stuff online without feeling guilty about what it's doing to your already ill credit card balance.

Having a 2 grand limit or whatever is fine if you actually clear the thing when you build up debt. People who leave debt roll over constantly on credit cards should just cut the thing up tbh. Using it as a few days/weeks credit until your paycheck comes in is fine, using it as a substitute for taking out a loan isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Own or owe damn all and will hope to keep things that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nil Debt

No Mortgage (cleared a few years ago).
    2 cars paid for.
    2 kids.

Cr Union €17k in credit
    Other savings about €95k
    Don't believe all the rot about the country being swamped in debt, some individuals may be but I know plenty with no debts whatsoever. (There may be a phonebill due soon, but there,s ample in the current a/c to cover it).:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So guys, today i added up how much debt i'm currently in..... and it depressed me! lol But to make me feel slightly better about myself i thought i'd come on here and see how i compare!!! so above is a poll to see how much ya owe out..... kinda just a rough figure but dont including anything massive like your mortgage.

So Phone, Medical, and Credit Card Bills. Personal loans, cars, money owed to people.

Hit me :D

I'm just gone twenty and own about 7,000 :D

Maybe if you went to work instead of phoning in sick when there's a traffic jam, then you won't be in debt.:D :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement