Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How is he painting the ship in the opening credits?

• 29-08-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I've just been watching a lot of red dwarf and I thought of something I'd never thought of before. At the beginning how is Lister painting the ship? Aurely he'd just float away. He doesn't seem to be tied down or anything but he's out in space so why is there gravity? Strange!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Eh......I don't know, maybe some sort of gravitional force field surrounding the ship. Anyway leave those technical details (errors) to trekkie type nerds;)

I'm assuming you're watching the first two series (intro changes after that). Probably some of the best IMO, although up to Series 6 is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

How do you know it's Lister painting the ship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

komodosp wrote: »
    How do you know it's Lister painting the ship?

Isnt it made clear earlier in the shows history, I think Series 2 Stasis Leak, that he was made paint the ship for several weeks as punishment for a duty he didnt do or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and in the commentary, craig charles mentions that it's him painting it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Red Dwarf is full of such mistakes. Almost as if they went out of their way to make them.

Rimmer got more PD than Lister in Stasis Leak. But I always just assumed it was Lister.

Commentary schmommentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He could be anchored to the ship by a magnetic generator on his suit where he's sitting, which obviously no one can see due to the distance of the camera from the ship.

That said another inaccuracy- when Lister gets infected by the virus that manifests itself as his positive and negative sides. He goes eva with his positive side who proceeds to take off his helmet and his head explodes, this is not possible in space. You don't explode instantaneously, you skin acts as a pressure suit although boils and minor abrasions would surface during the first 10 seconds. You would then go unconscious but could remain in space for around a minute and a half. If you were rescued and given full medical treatment you could make a full recovery. However Lister was probably only imagining his positive side (as its also a manifestation of his mind) exploding in the vacuum and so it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

It's Red Dwarf, people. Don't expect logic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

It was refernced in the early shows about him painting the ship and com'on lads its a comedy. If that was the case i'd be worried how the hip is moving as the thurster at the closing credits is a big lamp!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

Just looking at the beginning again and although on season 4 he's astride a little painters platform in series 1 he's kinda just standing on something...maybe magnetic boots?
    but like a few have said,this is the dwarf,not the trek :) although there is some really cool physics and sci fi elements(the time travel photo's,spaghettification,backwards earth,pool with planets etc) they don't get all anal with it,in fact mentioning anal on red dwarf would probably just earn you a dirty look from Rimmer and a dirty comment from Lister :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Is it even possible to paint something in the void of space? Would the paint float away? I don't know, I'm not a space-paint expert.
    but like a few have said,this is the dwarf,not the trek

Actually a lot of Star Trek's scientific sounding technobabble is pure bull, especially the stuff about "chroniton particles" and all that nonsense. At heart Trek is and should be about the characters and story. Don't watch it for the science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

It's no biggie. I've painted surfaces at negative-g before. Mostly ceilings.

It's the future! I'm sure they have discovered some sort of artificial gravity technology - after all they can walk around the ship as if it were a building on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You're questioning the logic of a show that once had them travel to a dimension where they were all made of clay.

Try not to think about it too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Magnetic boots?? For smeg sake

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He's using sticky space-paint, which of course he's standing in a puddle of....

1408 wrote: »
    Isnt it made clear earlier in the shows history, I think Series 2 Stasis Leak, that he was made paint the ship for several weeks as punishment for a duty he didnt do or something

Yeah but that seems like a fairly regular punishment the captain could hand out to any of the low-ranked 2nd / 3rd technicians - Though it was just an example extra in the credits... I think Rimmer is given the punishment too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How does he stop the pain from floating away

How does he stop the pain from floating away

Metallic flakes in the paint? Then again, why would the paint float away if outside of a gravity field, it was moving at the same speed as the ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

EnterNow wrote: »
    Metallic flakes in the paint? Then again, why would the paint float away if outside of a gravity field, it was moving at the same speed as the ship?

I thought we were going with sticky back plastic to hold him to the ship, no gravity field

I thought we were going with sticky back plastic to hold him to the ship, no gravity field

da fug :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement