Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You would think it would be straightforward but sadly not. The problem is that if you say you have started this course now you might lose your Jobseekers as you aren't genuinely seeking work. But without the JS you can't get BTEA.
    I'd ask DSP when can you start on the course, do you have to wait until your BTEA is approved or can you attend prior to that while still on JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

I applied for for BTEA last year but I was refused, meaning I had no way to attend college, my JSB was cut off once the start date of the course came around and had to get a letter from the college saying I was not a registered student to get it back. But it was backdated, so id say they would backdate you as well.

Also once you bring the form in they may be able to approve it there and then, my friend was confirmed that day and had a letter the next day. If not call every day if you have to, to check the status.

In the meantime have a letter from the college saying you are registered ready so if you are approved you can send it in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You would think it would be straightforward but sadly not. The problem is that if you say you have started this course now you might lose your Jobseekers as you aren't genuinely seeking work. But without the JS you can't get BTEA.
    I'd ask DSP when can you start on the course, do you have to wait until your BTEA is approved or can you attend prior to that while still on JS.

If it came down to it, losing the JSA wouldn't be the be all and end all as I have some savings to fall back on, but it would help. As long as my claim for BTEA isn't affected because of me already having started the course, I should be fine. They wouldn't deny me it because I already started would they?

If it came down to it, losing the JSA wouldn't be the be all and end all as I have some savings to fall back on, but it would help. As long as my claim for BTEA isn't affected because of me already having started the course, I should be fine. They wouldn't deny me it because I already started would they?

Once your application is in before you start classes officially it shouldn't affect your application

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Once your application is in before you start classes officially it shouldn't affect your application

I put down on the form that classes start on the 3rd of September, which they do, but I went in today for orientation. I assume that doesn't count as the official beginning. If it doesn't, I should be in the clear for tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

On your letter of registration just get them to say when classes start, which is what they are more interested in at the end of the day.

Maldesu wrote: »
    On your letter of registration just get them to say when classes start, which is what they are more interested in at the end of the day.

I don't have a letter, would that not take a while to go through? Or is it available immediately from the college? I only have tomorrow to put the application in for BTEA

Put in your application for BTEA tomorrow and then just ask your college for the letter that has the start date of your lectures.
    Ask your college for a letter for social welfare about attendance and BTEA. They will have done it before.

I went into the office today to drop the form in. I told the lady there that I originally wanted to sign up for VTOS but only found out yesterday that it was cut from the college I'm going to which was why I was so late in the game applying. She took the forms off me and asked me to get a letter from the college stating the starting dates of the classes. However, she then asked me if I had anything with me and I gave her the student calendar for the year we got on the induction day which states classes begin on the 3rd, so she made a copy, kept one and gave me my original copy and said they'd be in touch via letter. I'm assuming I don't actually need a letter from the college now since she took that and said they'd be in touch?

you will need a letter to confirm you are registered as a full time student from the admissions office

• Advertisement

I went into the office today to drop the form in. I told the lady there that I originally wanted to sign up for VTOS but only found out yesterday that it was cut from the college I'm going to which was why I was so late in the game applying. She took the forms off me and asked me to get a letter from the college stating the starting dates of the classes. However, she then asked me if I had anything with me and I gave her the student calendar for the year we got on the induction day which states classes begin on the 3rd, so she made a copy, kept one and gave me my original copy and said they'd be in touch via letter. I'm assuming I don't actually need a letter from the college now since she took that and said they'd be in touch?

They won't start payment until they get the official letter from the college.

Thanks guys. I'll get the letter from them when I start on Monday and drop it in the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What's the difference between fees and grants? I wrote an email to SUSI last week and got a reply back this week which states:
    In relation to your application, you have been deemed provisionally eligible for the fee's only. Your application will be processed and you will be contacted by SUSI in due course, you documents will be matched with your original application and should they correspond, you should be approved for the grant.

I rang up to get some clarification on what this email means but the girl on the phone didn't seem to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

What's the difference between fees and grants? I wrote an email to SUSI last week and got a reply back this week which states:

I rang up to get some clarification on what this email means but the girl on the phone didn't seem to know.

The fee is the student contribution which is 2250 which is all your entitled to if you are claiming BTEA.

This explains it http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9552/grant-levels/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

I am in NUIG and considering deferring 3rd year till next year.. can I still do this now? Or is it too late? Will I be covered for fees and back to education allowance next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 maggie23

I really want to go back to college and retrain in social care, its something ive always wanted to do but at the time of my leaving my dad was sick and i just concentrated on picking a course closest to home.
    I ended up doing a business studies course and received a national certificate for it from an IT. Since then I have been working in banking and finance and have also obtained a diploma in financial advice through the institue of bankers.

The thing is im nearly 28 and do not want to be in banking for the rest of my working days. However I have a mortgage and am single so no one to support me to go back to study. My questions are, based on my courses done already will I still qualify as a mature student? I also received a manitenace grant when going to IT for 2 years, will this affect future entitlements?
    Will i be entitled to any grants/funding while I go back? Will I be entitled to anything extra as I have a mortgage?

I should point out i've been working since the age of 12 and its not that i'm looking for the government to pay for everything but i just want to see if i am entitled to anything. I do have some savings but not nearly enough to fund this.

I know social work is what im meant to do and have been wanted to do this for ages but the time is never right (still isn't but i'm just going to give it a shot)

I would appreciate any help or advise anyone has or if anyone has any suggestions on other options. i'm open to them all my main stumbling block is having my mortgage only for that i would be back in college an qualified a long time ago.

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to read and reply

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

maggie23 wrote: »
    I really want to go back to college and retrain in social care, its something ive always wanted to do but at the time of my leaving my dad was sick and i just concentrated on picking a course closest to home.
    I ended up doing a business studies course and received a national certificate for it from an IT. Since then I have been working in banking and finance and have also obtained a diploma in financial advice through the institue of bankers.

The thing is im nearly 28 and do not want to be in banking for the rest of my working days. However I have a mortgage and am single so no one to support me to go back to study. My questions are, based on my courses done already will I still qualify as a mature student? I also received a manitenace grant when going to IT for 2 years, will this affect future entitlements?
    Will i be entitled to any grants/funding while I go back? Will I be entitled to anything extra as I have a mortgage?

I should point out i've been working since the age of 12 and its not that i'm looking for the government to pay for everything but i just want to see if i am entitled to anything. I do have some savings but not nearly enough to fund this.

I know social work is what im meant to do and have been wanted to do this for ages but the time is never right (still isn't but i'm just going to give it a shot)

I would appreciate any help or advise anyone has or if anyone has any suggestions on other options. i'm open to them all my main stumbling block is having my mortgage only for that i would be back in college an qualified a long time ago.

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to read and reply

If you've got a qualification already then you've got to be doing a course at a level higher then the level of your qualification. So if you've got a lvl 7 Bachelors then you'd have to do at least a lvl 8 course now.
    As for receiving maintenance before, as long as you finished he course and didn't drop out then it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MeadowLane

Hi All
    I am planning on applying for a course for next year
    I have one toddler and hoping to do nursing??
    Any advice on grants, social welfare etc???

Mod Note: Post moved to right thread. Please don't resurrect old threads :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but I did a search and nothing came up. I started my course about 4 weeks ago and I applied for VTOS. I was approved and just got my first payment. I expected it to be backdated but it wasn't :( Is it supposed to be backdated?

I'd also have a question to throw out there.

I was successful in getting BTEA but the €300 payment hasn't been given to me yet. When's it usually due? I read it was supposed to be the 'beginning of the academic year'

• Advertisement

I was successful in getting BTEA but the €300 payment hasn't been given to me yet. When's it usually due? I read it was supposed to be the 'beginning of the academic year'

It can vary depending on the processing office. Some don't come in until late Oct.

Got my first payment today, along with the €300 euro cost of education allowance and the difference from the last two weeks :) happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Anyone still waiting on SUSI grant approval?!

Anyone still waiting on SUSI grant approval?!

im still waiting to hear back to see if I got my appeal or not, but no one i've spoken to so far in my course has been fully approved yet, hth

It's normally the end of October. :)

Got my first payment today, along with the €300 euro cost of education allowance and the difference from the last two weeks :) happy days

Was it 300 last year? I can't remember.

Was it 300 last year? I can't remember.

I think so but the memory is fecked too

It's normally the end of October. :)

my €300 was included in my first payment yesterday :)

i think it was €500 last year but was cut in budget :(

• Advertisement

i think it was €500 last year but was cut in budget :(

Bleugh! I wish I could curse here but I've got a warning so I better be a good girl!
    Didn't get mine this week so hopefully next week..

Advertisement