Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell - 2 months delivery?

Options
  • 22-08-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I ordered a new laptop through work as my current one is ready for laptop heaven.

It was ordered on 20th July and the delivery date was given as 7th August, on the 7th I checked again and the delivery date was pushed back to 22nd August, I checked again today and the delivery date is now down as 27th September...

Is this normal for Dell? I had thought from talking to friends that they were pretty quick at delivery, I had certainly expected it within a week.

It is just a standard latitude 520, RAM has been upgraded to 2GB and the HD to 120GB but these are just basic things so I can't see how they would delay it two months...

Where else is good to buy laptops online with a reasonable delivery time?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Join the club.. Ordered a Vostro 1400. Original date was 16th Aug. I recieved an email on the 15th saying that:

"To ensure your Dell order is of the highest quality it is being assembled to your exact specification. Your delivery date has now been revised to 28th Sept."

No Sh!t Sherlock! Thats why I went with dell, so i could customise it!

Try ringing up and getting a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭10-10-20

According to the news there is a worldwide squeeze on LCD's and also the paint isn't working in the Dell factory. What colour did you pick for the case?

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

They are having supply issues apparently:
    ENN wrote:
    According to the Financial Times, Dell customers may have to wait until October for some of their new PCs to be delivered, due to supply chain problems and trouble perfecting new paint jobs. Dell said shipments of its Inspiron and XPS M1330 lines of notebook computers were delayed because of problems with new paint applied to their outside panels -- a feature introduced earlier this year as part of an effort to re-energise its flagging consumer PC business. Dell said shortages of display screen components had also contributed to the delay in notebook shipments.

Article here:-> http://www.enn.ie/article/93355.html

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

10-10-20 wrote:
    According to the news there is a worldwide squeeze on LCD's and also the paint isn't working in the Dell factory. What colour did you pick for the case?

I Just picked the standard black one, nothing else customised other than the RAM and hard drive size...

Can anybody recommend another retailer who allows you to customise your laptop when ordering?

There are some good deals on komplett but they don't allow you to customise it, also I would be looking to take an extended warranty but they only seem to give the manufacturer warranty which is no use unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭amadain17

Im glad to see that other people are having these problems too. I was told today that I would have to wait another month for my dell laptop (standard colour only - in fact I didn't pick a colour when I was customising it). I told the customer service girl that pc depreciate so much so quick that in another months time the laptop will be worth less and would probably be on sale in Lidl. I cancelled the order. Now here sit I orderless and laptopless. Any suggestions on someone else to take my custom would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i ordered a laptop on friday and they said theyd send it on the 13 of september which i thought was awful and they sent it today :D their delivery estimates are VERY rough they say "on or before" the date

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Steoob wrote:
    i ordered a laptop on friday and they said theyd send it on the 13 of september which i thought was awful and they sent it today :D their delivery estimates are VERY rough they say "on or before" the date

I ordered mine Tuesday of last week... The woman on the phone said that the delivery quotes are worst case scenarios, and that if you're lucky you'll get it in advance of that time..

Outta curiosity, what'd you order Steoob? I got a Vostro 1500, i have to wait until the 6th September... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i ordered an Inspiron 6400..

strange coz your wan on the phone said you cant buy them anymore "and if you notice cant you can no longer select them on the website" and i said... but im doing right now as we speak and she just laughed and said whoops.. haha theyre still up on the site now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hooray... All this talk made me look at that page with the estimated delivery date... I checked it, was sad to see the 6th Spetember...

Then i noticed that it had gone into production (had been in pre-production all along) so i gave them a ring... The girl on phone said that production doesn't take too long, so it could be packaged and sent to a truck tomorrow or friday (she wasn't sure what time it went into the production phase...)

So what that means is i'll more than likely have my laptop by the middle of next week... And this pleases me... :D

It seems that you are probably ok then if you keep away from the Latitude range. Its a two month wait at least for the D630 and much the same for the D430. I just want a lightweight laptop that I can put Linux on (I hate Windows). I recently phoned up Dell to get a laptop with ubuntu on it and the customer service rep said that they don't ship with Linux. When I pointed him to http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/linux?c=ie&cs=iegent1&l=en&s=gen he said (after a brief head scratching) that that was for American customers and the rest have to make do with Gates tyrannical oses from the depths of hell :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

funny how the dell rep told you that, but its from www1.EURO.dell.com

:)

he he. I never noticed that. if you follow the link you are still within the irish site but every linux link off that page leads you to the american dell site. The dell rep said to me that if i ordered a laptop from him there and then it would come with a windows os but he would throw in a ubuntu disk free of charge. (thought ubuntu was free anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Just thought I'd add my frustration to this thread. I ordered an XPS M1310 in July. I explained to the guy on the phone how I needed this laptop for September and was guaranteed delivery by then. The website said to allow 5 weeks for delivery, and the sales guy said he would give my order priority.

The estimated delivery date was tomorrow, but my laptop has been in pre-production since I ordered. I rang yesterday to enquire why it was still in pre-production? I was told everything was on track, and to allow a few days.

Today, I logged onto the dell site and read my order has been delayed to October 8th. I rang the customer service fuming that one day after being told my order is fine, their website tells me I have to wait until October.

They will get back to me next week with an update...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If its any consolation, I rang up and got €30 off and the A525 2.1 speakers as a sweetener, cause my order date was put back by 1.5 months (Vostro 1400) :(

pcs depreciate so quickly nowadays I felt it was better to cancel my order and see if anything better is out by the time the orders start going out. Has anyone ever put Linux on a new laptop? I hear that there are less drivers for linux for the newer laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

I ordered my dell inspiron 1520 on the 12th of july and was supposed to have it by the 31, then they said it was delayed to 22nd of aug and just as i was about to cancel my order i checked the dell website and it said it was dispatched and delivered on the 7th of aug so im guessing that the dates are the very worst amount of time that it could possibly take to get your order so they will prob come before the date you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BrotherTotz

Apologies for re-visiting what’s probably a well-worn topic.... but my order, like alot of others, of a Dell laptop has been pushed back another month. I’m pretty sick of listening to their rubbish at this stage tbh....but what are the alternatives? Are there many other sources where I could get a customised laptop or have people got any success from complaining/threatening to cancel orders with Dell?

No Success with threats. I cancelled my order and ordered a refurbished machine from the Dell outlet. This system is supposed to be already created. Today I got an email saying that the delivery date will be 2nd November - for a system that is already built! All I can say is bah!

No success here either. Asked to speak to supervisor who turned out to be obnoxious. I got his name anyway but conveniently they don't have direct lines :rolleyes:

Edit: this post was pointless... just venting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

I placed an order for a 1721 laptop with Dell on July 4th and that was including an additional week for re-specification when they discontinued the 9400 I had already spec'd.

I got an e-mail from their shipment advisory on July 26 advising that the July 27th delivery date had been moved back to August 28th - 9 weeks.

A subsequent e-mail on August 25th advising that the August 28th delivery date had been moved back to September 28th has just moved that to 13 ½ weeks. It is simply unbelievable, I told them to keep it of they did not have it here by weeks end. Anybody else having this trouble? :mad: :mad: :mad:

My Bro is stateside alot so I am just going to have hime drop into CompUSA in Manhattan and pick up a similar Gateway laptop for half the price, and before ye get started, I have a Gateway desktop and it has outlasted two dell laptops.

http://www.gateway.com/retail/mx8738.php

10-10-20 wrote:

They told me it was the graphics card, paint would have been a more obvious excuse, because I was feeling guilty about ordering the yellow one.

Before you ask, I just wanted a hi-viz jacket for my computer because I am on building sites alot

amadain17 wrote:
    No Success with threats. I cancelled my order and ordered a refurbished machine from the Dell outlet. This system is supposed to be already created. Today I got an email saying that the delivery date will be 2nd November - for a system that is already built! All I can say is bah!

If you check e-bay they ofen have them from the factory outlet. I was going to do this but I refuse to give them the business, its just too much crap, I have laptops dying for no reason, and now this hold up, sorry for venting

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250159207169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

In the latest installment of my dealings with Dell I decided, after cancelling my order to order from the dell outlet http://outlet.dell.com/Emea_Dfo/EuDispatcher?country=IRL&target=InventoryPage&lob_constraint=INSP
    (which sells pre made notebooks that were cancelled). Yesterday I got a mail saying that my pre-made machine will ship on or before November 2nd. I queried this and this morning I found a message saying that my order status could not be shown and get in touch with customer service. After talking with customer service and then sales I found that the order was cancelled as the machine did not exist in the outlet. I said that it existed on the outlet as that is where i ordered it from and they said that they might have shipped it to someone else. Either way it does not exist for me. They don't want to sell me a notebook. I don't know why. They just don't want to sell me a notebook. :eek:

amadain17 wrote:
    They just don't want to sell me a notebook. :eek:

Maybe there is a mechanism that stops people who have cancelled an order of going this route, it makes sense because theoretically it could give you access to the same laptop you cancelled at a cheaper price.

When you said that you were going this route I though of the story of a Russian business man who would have had to pay massive tariffs importing gloves into the USA during the cold war. He came up with a plan whereby he shipped the right hand leather gloves first, refused to pay tariffs, had they were confiscated. They were subsequently sold by US customs at auction, where guess what - he bought them for a nominal fee. He then did the same with the left hand gloves :D

doubling up the posts

so does that mean that i can NEVER get a notebook from dell?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

hmmm i just ordered a vostro 1000 at the weekend. I was quoted 10 working days, the usual.. If it gets pushed back, i reckon i will cancell.
    In 2 months time there will be better technology at better prices. There always is.

We will see what happens.

amadain17 wrote:
    so does that mean that i can NEVER get a notebook from dell?

Dunno, look do what I did, vote with your feet, get a different laptop, you will feel much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Hey i just checked my order status! Says it was despatched today! Happy days :D
    I only ordered it 4 days ago.

Advertisement