Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remaining Bottlenecks

Options
  • 20-08-2007 7:10pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We all know the huge improvements that the Irish road system has undergone in recent years. Many bad bottlenecks - Naas, Athlone, Drogheda, Kildare, Gorey etc are now, thankfully, history.

However quite a few bad bottlenecks remain - places that weren't even problems a few years ago but are now a major headache. I'll give a list of my top ten remaining bottlenecks and when they're to be bypassed. Feel free to add you own.

1. Castledermot, Kildare (2010??)
    2. Moate, Westmeath (2008)
    3. Thomastown, Kilkenny (post 2010??)
    4. Newry, Down (2009)
    5. Mountrath, Laois (2010)
    6. Gort, Galway (2011??)
    7. Abbeyleix, Laois (2010)
    8. Buttevant, Cork (post 2010??)
    9. Navan, Meath (2010)
    10. Ballinasloe, Galway (2009)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Claregalway co Galway.35,000 vehicles per day and no date in sight.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

LIMERICK (SRR Phase2) (2010)
    Charleville (2010+???)
    Clarinbridge (2011?)
    New Ross
    Castlemartyr
    Killeagh
    Waterford
    Dungarvan

Plenty more there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Chris: Limerick SRR phase 2 will be open before 2010, I'd nearly guarantee it. Even the midwest roads site says 2009/2010, but I could see it opening by late next year. They're already putting the tunnel in place, and parts of the alignment are nearly ready for putting a road onto. The flyovers are also going in as we speak, at the various junctions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'd put in Longford Town, with the N5 going through it - the town often comes to a standstill with passing traffic particularly Mayo-Dublin cars and Norfolk Line trucks. There had been some loose talk of a "Phase 2" bypass for Longford but I don't think anything came of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mountrath - think I was delayed there for 90 mins before after coming off the motorway on a bank holiday weekend. Got off the motorway, barely travelled a few hundred meters when I was stopped dead by the tailback.

I've heard Abbeyleix can be a nightmare but thankfully I've always been lucky with it.

Macroom, Co. Cork can be a nasty bottleneck apparently. No sign of a bypass in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Castleblayney, Slane, & Ardee(sometimes), the right tun at Ballygawley A5 onto the A4, Omagh (nightmare)- a town which has a "throughpass" but not worth a monkeys, and Ballybofey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Castleisland can be bad. They spent a ton of money on the road from Tralee to Abbeyfeale which is great but forgot the bit in the middle.

The good news is that all section of the Waterford bypass are well under way, they appear to be on schedule.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RadioCity wrote:
    the right tun at Ballygawley A5 onto the A4
    I think it's ridiculous that that junction wasn't incorporated some way onto the nearby roundabout.

(When the traffic is backed up, you could perform the cheeky manoeuvre of going up the left, making a left turn and then executing a safe U-turn up ahead and you're on you're way. Not that I would ever advocate doing it though! ;))

RadioCity wrote:
    Omagh (nightmare)- a town which has a "throughpass" but not worth a monkeys

Is the Sligo inner relief road much good (I'm assuming it's kinda in the same category)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Charleville is a nightmare in Cork.
    Mallow is bad, and that has a bypass, but the bypass needs to be bypassed again :D .
    Newcastlewest, Co Limerick(on Limerick to Tralee road)
    Abbeyfeale(also on same road, and in dire need of a bypass)
    Macroom is an unmitigated disaster 99.9% of the time.

Bandon still doesn't have a bypass(well it sort of does, but its useless for most people)

And Abbeyleix is the worst.
    Mitchelstown needs one too, and I dont mean an inner relief road. The inner relief road for Mitchelstown is 3 miles long, whereas going straight through Mitchelstown is only a mile, so everyone still goes through it(its faster).
    Sometimes Listowl in Co Kerry is bad too. Its a very narrow town, so if anything happens, it gets very tight.

What annoys me a lot is all those little villages on the way, you have to slow down to only 60 km/h from 100.

Gort in Co Galway is supposed to be a nightmare now that Ennis is finally bypassed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Blanchardstown on the N3 - it may be a dual carriageway but its really bad on many weekday mornings.

Dunshaughlin were I live, really bad most evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sometimes Kanturk can be particularly bad....if two or three Farmers bring their churns to the Creamerey at the same time and one of their Donkeys gets a bit frisky, you can get held up for three or four minutes sometimes....yes, its true I tell ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Mountrath
    Adare
    Newcastlewest
    Abbeyfeale
    CastleIsland

It always amazes me how the guys in these towns live with the crazy situation where their town/village is cut in half and still vote the same people back in every time

If I lived in Mountrath for example I think I would have raised direct action , to get that town bypassed , if that meant blocking the road or something I would have done it.

I hear silly rumours that Adare ' don't want a bypass ' because it would take trade away from the town.... I can't believe people are that silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Are there any vehicle-per-day counts for these places? Only one figure posted (for Claregalway) so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Gonzo wrote:
    Dunshaughlin were I live, really bad most evenings.

Only recently experienced this....but its hell alright. Doesn't ease up till late evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Re A5 right turn onto the A4:
    (When the traffic is backed up, you could perform the cheeky manoeuvre of going up the left, making a left turn and then executing a safe U-turn up ahead and you're on you're way. Not that I would ever advocate doing it though! )

Not when I'm there you won't! I deliberately block the 2 lanes to stop anybody doing that. And I'm not driving a car.:D

There is an improvement planned for there, involving a rounabout junction with the new A4 dual carriageway from Dungannon and improvements towards Enniskillen.

Its a bit hit and miss, one Saturday recently a massive tailback caused by chickens collecting money in buckets for charity! I was tempted to tell them to cl**k off!

AndrewMc wrote:
    Are there any vehicle-per-day counts for these places? Only one figure posted (for Claregalway) so far.

AADT of at least 16000 for Adare (N21).

AADT of about 11000 for 6km south of Gort (N18).

11000 or so for Pike of Rushall (just west of Mountrath - N7).

Abbeyleix (N8) is about 13000.

Just north of Thomastown on N9 (Paulstown) is over 14000 - that's a fair bit considering that's Waterford traffic only, it's after the N10 junction for Kilkenny.

Some of these figures are growing fast though with over 8% year on year growth (2005-2006) for N7 for example.

There's a fair bit of traffic counter data accessible on the NRA website, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Zoney wrote:
    Is the Sligo inner relief road much good (I'm assuming it's kinda in the same category)?

It's made a huge difference as far as I'm concerned. If your heading in from N15/N16 its still a pain in the arse though.
    They fecked up on Hughes Bridge and there is a big bottleneck as a result.
    If your heading south (towards the inner relief road) there is only one lane. The right hand lane is for finisklin only while on hughes bridge.:confused:

Overall it is a massive improvement on what we had!

Other bottlenecks would be Gort & Tuam.
    Can be very bad!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

LIMERICK (SRR Phase2) (2010)
    Charleville (2010+???)
    Clarinbridge (2011?)
    New Ross
    Castlemartyr
    Killeagh
    Waterford
    Dungarvan

Plenty more there :(

Waterford is been bypassed as we speak its part of the N/M9 nad N25. Dungarvan is also to be bypassed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Julianstown. Co.Meath.

Even though there M1 bypasses it, it still needs its own village bypass. People use this village as a rat-run to avoid the toll but also the fact that Drogheda is a commuter town with large volumes of traffic using the Julianstown road to get to the M1.

http://www.julianstown.com/traffic.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road roundabouts in Cork. The Dunkettle interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Athy, approx 20000 per day. Not aware of anything being planned, let alone built.

E92 wrote:
    The inner relief road for Mitchelstown is 3 miles long, whereas going straight through Mitchelstown is only a mile, so everyone still goes through it(its faster)
    1. Everyone doesn't go through it. If they did why is the town centre much less congested than it used to be?

2. If everone still goes through the town, how do you explain the existence traffic on the by-pass?

3. The only reason that it appears to be quicker to go through the town is because much of the traffic is using the relief road, i.e. it's working!

The congestion in Mitchelstown is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. It was normal for it to be backed up beyond the Firgrove Hotel most evenings and occasionally back to the Skeeheenarinka NS area.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Enniscorthy is becoming much worse now the Gorey bypass is open.
    For its danger value the Rathnew - Arklow stretch of the N11 is a bottleneck, 17 deaths in something like 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Slane is bypassed by M1/N33 for the N2 direction. as is Ardee and COllon. If yer not gonna use the M1 waste time on out single lane National primary route so.

Wilton and Bandon roundabouts on the south ring road of Cork (N25)

Tullamore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

1. Everyone doesn't go through it. If they did why is the town centre much less congested than it used to be?

2. If everone still goes through the town, how do you explain the existence traffic on the by-pass?

3. The only reason that it appears to be quicker to go through the town is because much of the traffic is using the relief road, i.e. it's working!

The congestion in Mitchelstown is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. It was normal for it to be backed up beyond the Firgrove Hotel most evenings and occasionally back to the Skeeheenarinka NS area.
    a lot of traffic usintg the Mitchelstown bypass is hreading for the N72 to Mallow BUT in my experiance MOST of the traffic on it is N8 traffic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Julianstown on the R132 (old N1) - 20,000+ CPUs per day!

The R132 Gormanston to Drogheda should be redesignated as a national route, as it forms a major link to Drogheda South from the M1. To take the Drogheda Bypass means putting up to a couple of miles onto the journey while paying €1.60 for the privilege. The above mentioned road needs to be upgraded to at least D2AP.

If yer not gonna use the M1 waste time on out single lane National primary route so
    Eh, come again! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

MLM wrote:
    Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road roundabouts in Cork. The Dunkettle interchange.

That worries me.

Plans are there for Sarsfield & Bandon as one scheme. But as far as I know theres nothing even in planning for Dunkettle. Thats a disaster zone as it is, its going to be beyond chronic once Sarsfield & Bandon roundabouts are done.

Macroom is getting a bypass eventually, dunno if it'll be S2 or DC though.
    Mitchelstown will be getting one soon, its the last scheme of the N8.

Got through Gort no problems yesterday at 630pm, 5 minute wait. But I've been stuck there for 30+ minutes often enough.

Limerick will be the big one though, I've frequently been stuck for a full hour trying to get through that place :(

Advertisement