Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dricco Punch Video

Options
  • 18-08-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

See here - http://www.wideo.fr/video/iLyROoaftUsa.html

Looks like Brian was over calming things down, when a 6'4 lock punches him for no particular reason.

The attitude from Bayonne is fooking disgraceful
    On the Bayonne Rugby website this evening:

18/08/2007 - O' Driscoll: "No major injury"

Information read this morning in the sporting press could leave one to think that Brian O' Driscoll had yesterday evening suffered from a serious sinus injury. It is thus necessary to give a progress report on the medical results we have today. Following the x-rays and the scans performed in Bayonne at the end of the match, club officials met on this subject with Doctor Jacques Manic, sports doctor of the club. He confirms that "the X-ray and scan examinations did not detect a major injury of the sinus". It could thus be a question of a crack of the sinus as frequently occurs with frontal shocks in rugby. The player preferred to return to Ireland this morning for further examinations and an MRI. Nothing alarming, in any case, which could call into question the participation of the player in the World cup.

But lets hope they get disciplined properly.
    RTE wrote:
    An appalled Bernard Lapasset, the FFR president, has vowed to open an investigation into the incidents. 'I haven't the words to describe what I feel,' he said. 'This should have been a festival of rugby in a full stadium. Happily we sent an official delegate, a foreign referee. 'I want to know what happened. I will open an inquiry.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well, there was a scuffle. He got punched. Rugby. Happens.

It's unfortunate that he sustained a fracture as a result of this punch but he'll get over it and he'll be back playing in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

He was targeted. rugby. shouldn't happen. hefty ban hopefully.

bright wrote:
    He was targeted. rugby. shouldn't happen. hefty ban hopefully.
    I'm hoping for 6 months + heavy fine. Tosser...

http://video.lequipe.fr/video/iLyROoaftUgj.html

Bayonne -v- Ireland video. It's in French though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hickie's looking pretty ****ing impressive,i hope he has more luck with injury this tournament than in the last one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    QFT. Completely agree.
    daveirl wrote:
    Due to the fact that BOD is an extremely important player for Ireland and the World Cup is just around the corner I think that Kiwi shouldn't have done that... It was supposed to be a friendly. We all know there's no such thing as a friendly rugby match but you know what I mean... He should have restrained himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sorry for going slightly off topic here but that was an outrageous dummy Hickie threw for one of his tries. :D He seems to be in good nick just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

daveirl wrote:

QFT.
    zabbo wrote:
    Looks like Brian was over calming things down, when a 6'4 lock punches him for no particular reason.

Looks a bit more than calming down to me. Not saying he deserves a dig for it. Sweet punch though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

http://video.lequipe.fr/video/iLyROoaftUgj.html

Bayonne -v- Ireland video. It's in French though...

I lo-o-o-ove French commentary. It is to rugby what South American commentary is to soccer. The French commentators in the classic 1999 France All Blacks semifinal were only brilliant, even though my school french only lets me understand about a third of it.

The way they go from Baritone to Soprano in five seconds while describing Bernat-Salles' try is legend.

my school french only lets me understand about a third of it.

Speaking of which, what does "un petit ralenti" mean?

Google's translation tools are no help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

a bit slower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I think it means in slow mo or a bit slower or to that effect..

what are the crowd chating Stef? sounds like they are baying for une scrap!!

What looks like Trimble looks to have scored like a pretty nifty try too!!

Denis was on fire going into last RWC before that injury looks to be in that zone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They are chanting Bayonnais Bayonnais, basically cheering on their guys in the scrap, and the violence in General I guess.

Inquitus wrote:
    They are chanting Bayonnais Bayonnais, basically cheering on their guys in the scrap, and the violence in General I guess.
    That's what they're chanting indeed.

Speaking of which, what does "un petit ralenti" mean?
    It means "a little slow motion" to be precise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well, there was a scuffle. He got punched. Rugby. Happens.

It's unfortunate that he sustained a fracture as a result of this punch but he'll get over it and he'll be back playing in no time!
    I'm hoping for 6 months + heavy fine. Tosser...

To paraphrase GWB... The French don't have a word for Volte-Face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

We all know daveirl's munster bias in issues concerning o'driscoll.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Agreed - after seeing it, I can't say he was targetted.. it was a "lucky" punch.. seen in many games all over the country at various times..

There'a an outcry because it was O'Driscoll.. but had it happened to Young for example there'd be less hub-ub about it..

That video link seems to be dead now. Pity.

I don't buy the line that there was nothing in it, or that he didn't mean it or that it's the sort of thing that happens all the time and it was just a "lucky punch" that resulted in actual damage being caused.

Rugby is one of those games, it would appear, in which it is perfectly acceptable for some huge galloot to deliberately punch a much smaller man. This is not, in my opinion, one of the game's attractions. Rather it should be seen as one of the game's blemishes and punished accordingly.

Examples I can remember were various italians having a swipe at Peter Stringer. Now I can readily accept that Stringer is an annoying little **** to play against but that does not give a prop the right to deck him.

There is enough physical courage required of smaller men in the game to take on and tackle fellas twice their size without rationalising that being punched by someone way out of your league is all part and parcel of the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A team shouldnt allow their scrum half to be bullied like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

^^ theres the video, nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

thanks for resourcing video. jesus thats pretty nasty alright. that absolute kiwi f**ck*r!!! still grabbing / pushing other players with O'Driscoll on the ground in agony. what a scumbag.

its funny him trying to point the medics at O'Driscoll instead of the other Irish player on the ground (who was tht anyway and what happened to him?). he obviously knew that he'd done serious damage to him. f**ck*ng knacker.

To paraphrase GWB... The French don't have a word for Volte-Face :D
    LOL at the paraphrase! However, saying that "throwing a punch on a rugby pitch happens" and "hoping that the player who throws a punch gets banned" is not a volte-face!

daveirl wrote:
    Well you can actually hear the Bayonne supporters applaude an Irish try in the video I posted from the L'Équipe website.

All this has been blown WAY OUT of proportions me thinks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

daveirl wrote:
    Only joking!

Advertisement