Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Didn't realise there was such a genre.:eek:

How about Kraftwerk?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What exactly would atheist music be? Never heard of such a thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Atheist music? wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

aidan24326 wrote:
    What exactly would atheist music be? Never heard of such a thing.
    Listen to the links.
    We need to get in touch with our emotions, otherwise we are just a pack of logic freaks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I listen to heavy metal, the devils music, does that count?

• Advertisement

We need to get in touch with our emotions, otherwise we are just a pack of logic freaks.
    I thought that's what regular music is for.

I thought that's what regular music is for.
    If theists can have hymns and uplifting numbers about their theistic connection with the universe, why can't we have our songs about our atheistic connection with the universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, there's the band Atheist. ;)

If theists can have hymns and uplifting numbers about their theistic connection with the universe, why can't we have our songs about our atheistic connection with the universe?
    Introducing the new #1 in the Atheist Top Ten:

Primordial Soup, by The Carbon Based Life Forms. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Don't forget those crazy rationalist canuks Rush. Heres Freewill for 1980
    . Thery're still at it their latest album, Snakes and Arrows, is a kinda concept album about how crap religious belief is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭lookinforpicnic

This is nuts... atheist music?? most music doesn't have an affiliation to a particular creed...must check that any music I like doesn't mention God...what?? Ideas about religion and everything around it obviously creep into our music just like they creep into are language..but this is harmless. Preacher music/hymns there different and are just there to lift peoples emotional state to fool them into thinking they are having a religious experience, a connection with God, felt his presence that kind of ****, do you feel left out and want a similar experience for atheists..."yeah man that music really made me feel like you know earth is just a rock and how we are all just really complex machines...yeah man cool"... bollox.

Atheism isn't based around feeling like religion is we don't have a hunch or a feeling that God doesn't exist, looking at the evidence and doing some careful reasoning (notice I didn't use the term logic-its over rated! :D logic freaks???) I know (to .99999999999999 certainty) that god doesn't exist. Why do we need reassurance then from the good feeling that decent music can engender that atheism is right, good or cool. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Jane's Addiction's 'Had a Dad' from the Nothing's Shocking album (1988 - that long ago!!??) is one of the most eloquent expressions of the loss of belief in rock music IMHO.

Listen to the links.

Tim you're having a laugh, surely? That was awful. If a logical/atheistic viewpoint is good for making sense of the world in a rational manner it clearly isn't so good for inspiring great music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Dunno what 'atheist music' is supposed to be, but I like post-rock. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What is the aethiest music scene's equvalient of Soul? Random alogorithmic generations set to sound waves?

aidan24326 wrote:
    Tim you're having a laugh, surely? That was awful. If a logical/atheistic viewpoint is good for making sense of the world in a rational manner it clearly isn't so good for inspiring great music!
    If theists can express their passions and emotions about their beliefs through catchy numbers like this:

Like the fire again

Here's a cool midi version of the same song

I see no reason why atheist can't express their passions and emotions about their lack of beliefs. I feel passionate about my logic and I am passionate about music. What's wrong with a bit of synergy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've heard some dire Christian music in my time, but that was astoundingly bad. Thanks for the laugh, Tim. Still, an odd notion this 'atheist music'.

I've heard some dire Christian music in my time, but that was astoundingly bad. Thanks for the laugh, Tim. Still, an odd notion this 'atheist music'.
    Philistine! "Light the fire again" is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If theists can express their passions and emotions about their beliefs through catchy numbers like this:

Like the fire again

Here's a cool midi version of the same song

I see no reason why atheist can't express their passions and emotions about their lack of beliefs. I feel passionate about my logic and I am passionate about music. What's wrong with a bit of synergy?

I don't think that just because you're atheist you should listen to atheist music. That sounds a little strange to me. I'm an atheist but a lot of my favourite songs have religious overtones and themes.

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    I don't think that just because you're atheist you should listen to atheist music. That sounds a little strange to me. I'm an atheist but a lot of my favourite songs have religious overtones and themes.
    Same with me. I like Depeche Mode, who harp on a "Personal Jesus", a "doubting Thomas" and "God having a sick sense of humour". I would like to see a band sing about evolution theory, the freedom of atheism and the all the wonders of science and logic. Judging by the musical world, the atheist world view seems very uninspirational. For me, it's an inspirational world view. Why can't we sing about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

For me, it's an inspirational world view. Why can't we sing about it?

Nothing stopping you, Tim. And a one, and a two, and a three...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well, most of the music in the charts makes me believe there is no God. Is that Athiest music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

If you're willing to expand the scope of the question in to free thought or humanism, it gets a lot more interesting. A recent example is Rush's Snakes & Arrows, which has songs about religious conflict and atheism, but doesn't hit you over the head with it, or compromise the music for the message. First single was Far Cry, which starts on about "pariah dogs and wandering madmen, barking at strangers and speaking in tongues"... ;)

PS: The Angel's Share, from Geddy Lee's solo album My Favorite Headache, is a gentler song with a sceptical theme:
    If we are only members of the human race
    No supernatural beings from a supernatural place
    If you can't solve the problem
    Come and tell me to my face

For intelligent treatments of atheism, & philosophy in general, I'd say Rush is a good place to start. You can actually find them in records shops, too, often at sale prices.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

John Lennon, "Imagine".

Talliesin wrote:
    John Lennon, "Imagine".

Now we're getting somewhere.

Those songs in Tim's earlier links, although the female singer had a nice voice, it sounded like the song lyrics were being read directly from a science book. It didn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Nothing stopping you, Tim. And a one, and a two, and a three...
    I recall I started writing a theme song for the forum, with contributions from other members, on a thread not so long ago.

I don't know about the whole atheist music thing. I love listening to uplifting religious music. I feels like I'm cheating - getting all the fun without doing any believing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

boreds wrote:
    Well, most of the music in the charts makes me believe there is no God. Is that Athiest music?

lol

what was the last interesting song in the charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I feel passionate about my logic and I am passionate about music. What's wrong with a bit of synergy?
    On the basis of the above links, may I passionately suggest that you synergise your music collection to the bowels of Hell and start afresh?

Come back, Cliff, all is forgiven... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Shostakovich Symphony No. 12 in D minor, Op. 122 'To the memory of Lenin' ('The Year 1917').

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Bad Religion, they've been going almost 30 years. Some great lyrics. :)

Advertisement