Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fine for having no ticket

Options
  • 17-08-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I was jumped on the Luas today without a ticket and got off but when I got of an inspector came up and asked me for a ticket, because I didn't have one he gave me a fine of €45. I am seriously considering not paying this, althoguh the could take me to court. Just wondering have any other people been in this situation and what happened? Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Em...what makes you think you don't have to pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Troll right? Making fun of regular similar threads?

Ok..I'll go with it

You idiot! What makes you think that you should be able to travel on the luas for free? :mad: People like you are the reason public transport in this country is so crap and expensive!!!! :( Rant rant rant! If I was in government I'd have you hanged :mad: :mad: :mad: My advice is don't pay the fine, let them throw you in jail!!! :( :mad: :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You were off the Luas when he issued the ticket ... and you took it?

blah wrote:
    Troll right? Making fun of regular similar threads?

Ok..I'll go with it

You idiot! What makes you think that you should be able to travel on the luas for free? :mad: People like you are the reason public transport in this country is so crap and expensive!!!! :( Rant rant rant! If I was in government I'd have you hanged :mad: :mad: :mad: My advice is don't pay the fine, let them throw you in jail!!! :( :mad: :( :mad:

Personal abuse and sig2big? ..... post reported, sig reported soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hansgruber

Well, what can they do if I don't?

They have my name, but they dont have my current address, just an old address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

6th wrote:
    You were off the Luas when he issued the ticket ... and you took it?

Luas stops are private ground with public access, they're owned by the RPA so he was within his rights to issue a ticket there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hansgruber

The reason the transport system is bad is down to a lack of proper planning, mismanagement and over spending. The Luas makes loads of money and has far exceeded profits so far so I wouldn't worry about that.

And yea I was off the Luas when they stopped me, does that make any difference?

markpb wrote:
    Luas stops are private ground with public access, they're owned by the RPA so he was within his rights to issue a ticket there.

Interesting, cheers for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

What purpose does this thread serve?

We had a big thread on this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

blah banned for a week for personal abuse.

• Advertisement

The OP is new and search is down, old threads currently mean nothing if you weren't around for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

hansgruber wrote:
    The reason the transport system is bad is down to a lack of proper planning, mismanagement and over spending. The Luas makes loads of money and has far exceeded profits so far so I wouldn't worry about that.

And yea I was off the Luas when they stopped me, does that make any difference?

No it doesn't. You're in the wrong regardless of whether you're caught or not. Trying to get off on a technicality is just immoral, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why did you not have a ticket in the 1st place?

I once jumped on with no ticket because I was in a rush and it was pulling off. When I got off I bought a ticket and binned it. Felt that made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

seamus wrote:
    Em...what makes you think you don't have to pay it?

Let me see what excuses yer man could have...

I was late for work, wasn;t able to wait 5 minutes for the next tram?
    I wasn't able to buy a Latte and a Luas ticket at Starbucks?
    There was a queue and there wasn't enough ticket machines?
    I didn't have change of a €2 coin?
    I ought to travel from free, €4 a day is a rip off?
    I didn't know I needed a ticket?
    I paid on the way here?
    I lost my ticket, sorry?
    I will pay later on, you know me, I'm on it all the time?
    What about them scumbags who didn't pay?
    I am wearing a suit, do I look like I'm ripping you off a fare?

There is but one reasons why you got a fine.... Because you didn't make it your business to purchase a ticket.

No matter how hard by you try make it sound, there isn't really any middle ground on this. And giving the incorrect address will fall back on you if you are tracked down; pay the fine and move on as you are in the wrong here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

blah wrote:
    People like you are the reason public transport in this country is so crap and expensive!!!!
    So it has nothing to do with sending Darts that don't need refurbishing off to eastern europe to be refurbished at a cost of €80,000 per married couple when they could use the money to provide a better service as they do in other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

The problem is that you did'nt buy a ticket. Now, irrespective of individual circumstances, and while I do sympathise with your plight, you've got to look at the reality of the situation.

There are a lot of hard chaws, chancers, and bluffers. Not just in Ireland, almost everywhere has that kind of breed. But if you work in the service sector, such as a pub, shop, restaurant, bank or a bookies, you hear almost every poxy excuse under the sun. Your trust and faith in humanity gets eroded. Play by the rules, you get treated fairly. These guys have heard every excuse going and if I was in their shoes, my eyes would just glaze over, "I've heard it all before, now lets do this the easy way"

I do not agree with anyone calling you an idiot. You were just in a rush, impatient, you were just being human. Noone is perfect, but frankly, its like breaking a red light, fiddling taxes, smuggling cigarettes, taking drugs, bunking off work, or speeding. We've all done it a little, but sometimes we get caught, and its human nature to complain when life goes against us.

Now, chancers come in all shapes and sizes. I don't care if they are in suits, or tracksuits, granted though, I have more pleasure in booking the tracksuits than the suits, but its all the same underneath. I had an incident years ago when I refused to pay a Nigerian fraudster pulling a slow count in a betting office, and I told him exactly what I thought of him after he accused me of being racist. That was after getting threatened with a shotgun, but an accident with some boiling water sent him on his merry way, and he was on the ferry to Holyhead within two hours after another accident with some 'friends'.

Theres no point in moaning about whether Luas fined you. You were unlucky. The chances of getting caught on Dublin Bus are 100-1 against. The chances of getting caught on Luas are easily 4-1. The extra 6-7 minutes waiting on the next tram are easily worth 43 Euro, which is the difference between paying the correct fare, and the penalty fare.

And it is clear as daylight, and clear public knowledge that the Luas ticket checkers, or revenue protection officers are doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hansgruber wrote:
    The Luas makes loads of money and has far exceeded profits so far so I wouldn't worry about that.
    The Luas has made lots of money becuase people pay their fares.

By your logic, it's perfectly fine for me to walk into your house and eat all your food. You make enough to replace it, right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I have often been in a rush and had to wait for the next tram. I'm sure your rush wasn't more important than the other honest people who actually bought a ticket. The rules say that you must have a valid ticket with you before boarding a tram - for people who don't care to read them they even put them on the PIS boards from time to time. The rules say nothing about whether you're in a rush or not.

(I'd say even if RPA/Veolia dealt with those very slow piece-of-crap ticket machines they've got the dodgers would still say they are in a rush).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

6th wrote:
    Personal abuse and sig2big? ..... post reported, sig reported soon ;)

Why is his sig too big yet your larger one isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The Luas doesn't make money in the sense that a private company might make money. It covers its operational costs and makes a surplus. The surplus isn't even enough to cover the interest on the cost of the infrastructure.

Anyway, the practical problem with not paying the penalty under the honour system is that if you are a regular commuter, you will be apprehended by the inspectors pretty quickly. Remember, they have a picture of you on video as well.

Just pay it and get on with life.

paulm17781 wrote:

Because mine isn't bigger.

Anyway like i said I can understand jumping on if its pulling off and you are in a rush but if you get caught then pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

paulm17781 wrote:

It's centered.

And its physically bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

6th wrote:
    Because mine isn't bigger.
    The rule-breaking two lines of text underneath make yours bigger though.

But anyway... they don't catch people on fare dodging all that often so they really should prosecute to the full extent of the law when the do.

€45 really is all that much... How much have you saved by dodging fares in the past? Or was this your first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

hansgruber wrote:
    Any advice
    Pay up you cheap langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK chill out folks and stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

seamus wrote:
    By your logic, it's perfectly fine for me to walk into your house and eat all your food. You make enough to replace it, right?

lol! Doooo it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You were wrong for not buying a ticket, you were caught, now your bitching, pay up or I hope they bring you to court over the matter if you don't :)

Have a nice day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we get one bus a day....would love to have a Luas here to not use either....:) (should be free really but thats another topic....)

Advertisement